Fast, easy, high-quality text to speech in over 40 languages. Read out loud from websites, PDF, email. Speak text with TTS.
# Install additional voices New voices, languages, dialects can be downloaded for FREE for your operating system from for example Microsoft and Apple. Once installed correctly, Talkie will auto-detect them. ☑ Windows 10: Settings > Time & Language > Language ☑ macOS: System Preferences > Accessibility > Speech > System voice > Customize... ☑ ChromeOS: Settings > Manage accessibility features > Text-to-Speech voice settings > Speech Engines # Usage 1. Select desired text on any web page. 2. Click the Talkie button in your browser bar You can also select the text, then right click on it, and choose Talkie in the menu. This way also works in PDF-files and some special types of pages in Chrome. https://joelpurra.com/projects/talkie/#usage # Shortcut keys A convenient option is to use the Talkie shortcut keys: ☑ ⌘+Shift+A on macOS ☑ Ctrl+Shift+A on Windows, Linux, Chrome OS ☑ ⌘+Shift+1 or Ctrl+Shift+1 to read text from the clipboard in any program (Talkie Premium feature) If the key does not work, please check that it is not already in use by another extension. How to check or change the Talkie shortcut key: https://joelpurra.com/projects/talkie/#shortcut-keys # Features ☑ Lets you listen to the selected text on any part of a page -- a short snippet or an entire news article. Just highlight what you want to hear read aloud and hit play. ☑ Automatically detects the text language per-page, and chooses a voice in the same language to match it. ☑ Privacy aware -- no unnecessary tracking or external services. # Voices ☑ Uses your browser's built-in Web Speech API for text-to-speech (TTS) known as Speech Synthesis. ☑ All text and speech is processed internally by your browser. While ultimately depending on your specific browser, all processing is expected to be done on your own machine and not use a server. ☑ The available voices may differ depending on your operating system, browser, browser version, and any other installed extensions/software. ☑ Custom voices using Speech Application Programming Interface (SAPI) should work, but not all have been tested. https://joelpurra.com/projects/talkie/#install-additional-voices # Upgrade to Talkie Premium! ☑ Select your favorite voice per language! ☑ Adjust the speed and pitch per language! ☑ Read text from the clipboard in any program! # Open source For open source code (GPL-3.0) and more, see the project web page: https://joelpurra.com/projects/talkie/ See also additional tools developed by Joel Purra: https://joelpurra.com/
- (2021-05-26) Forstmann 67: Die Kostenlose Version finde ich ganz gut, Stimmen kann man wechseln. Was ich aber Richtig gut finden würde, wäre wenn Talkie auch Übersetzend Vorlesen könnte, das würde ich Feiern. Ansonsten alles gut, Premium kam ich nicht Beurteilen, da kein Geld.
- (2021-05-07) EREL: Genel bilgide TR belirtilmiş, ben neden bulamadım, Ayarlar içerisinde diğer var olduğu söylenen diğer dillerin hepsi yok.
- (2021-04-26) Echnaton Der Gehörnte: Leider keine deutsche Sprache ! Muss man wohl extra bezahlen !
- (2021-04-16) Destiny Olsovsky: works good so far!
- (2021-04-15) Negrean Sergiu Aurelian: liar. Not romanin!
- (2021-04-03) Sven Hornig: cool und danke
- (2021-03-07) Soilih BEN SOILIH: Trop foooort !!!
- (2021-02-14) Hakka Doğru: voice changing setting does not work.
- (2020-12-03) Люся Кузнецова: Это работает отлично!
- (2020-11-18) mariusz stopa: jest ok działa dobrze !
- (2020-10-26) Chris: This app can't even pronounce version...no thanks
- (2020-10-19) MÅNEMANN MÅNEMANN: Only english
- (2020-09-07) oneye Bat: This is great when it's working.
- (2020-09-03) Julio Cesar Dominguez Vasquez: Funiciona muy bien... pero deberia funcionar mejor con un solo clic y poner varias voces
- (2020-08-26) Carlos Zamora Os.: Muy buena aplicación ¡Felicidades!
- (2020-08-04) Renato Henrique De Souza: Horrível ele só deixa usar a voz da microsoft que por sinal é péssimo, para alterar a voz precisa pagar um valor muito alto. Não recomendo a não ser que você esteja disposto a pagar um rio de dinheiro todo mes!
- (2020-07-17) Seppuku Senpai: It wasn't good at all. The default voice is worse than google translate and I tried everything to change it but nothing worked.
- (2020-06-23) Antonio Arancibia Flores: Este Lecto no se por que NO LE DAN 5 ESTRELLAS PERFECTO ESPECTATULAR NO SE PAURA COMO EL: Lector de Selección (Texto a Voz)
- (2020-04-10) Φένια Δούκα: It does't have greek reader at all...
- (2020-03-06) AMID GEORGE LOPEZ-ANDRADE-: bueno
- (2020-02-06) Dursun Birinci: türkçe okuma var olarak gösteriyor ama yok
- (2020-01-22) Brian Newberry: One of the best extensions i've used. LOVE this! I can EASILY understand better than 95% of what it reads. If it's not exactly perfect - then try different spellings and you're likely to find one that works better. This is one great extension! Well Done!
- (2020-01-03) Bert Steinmüller: Funktioniert Top Gute Sache man muss nicht erst immer die Brille suchen 5 Sterne
- (2019-12-03) Marcos Canales: no me funciona, no se si debo hacer algo mas ademas de instalarlo, me fijeen la configuracion y no carga narradores ni idiomas, espero quealguien pueda ayudarme saludos
- (2019-11-26) Алексей Попов: крутяк удобное приложение. работает.
- (2019-11-11) Solar Energy: I really like the free version and it works great. My only complaint is that you have to buy the premium version for $24 / year to be able to control the pitch and the speed. I think these 2 things should be included in the free version and the paid version should be just for all the different languages....thus my reason for rating 4 instead of 5 stars.
- (2019-10-20) Damian Demidov: настроил демо проситала ,потмо просто замолкла.. обновлял разное нажимал и нифга,другие работают ((
- (2019-10-15) Erik: Neumí česky
- (2019-10-03) Dustin Sharpless: Too slow and can't change the speed.
- (2019-10-02) Zoran Zack Zilic: An amazing app. Finally, this is the first app that allowed me to change a type of voice.
- (2019-08-06) Ralph Bragg: Talkie is the best sounding and performing TTS extension I've found that still works in 2019 and actually functions on my tired, under powered laptop running Linux Mint 19.2. Now to be fair the quality and selection of voices are highly dependent upon the type of device (architecture/platform), OS (operating system) and the web browser (Chrome/Firefox) that you are using. Your results will likely vary but I am pleasantly surprised to find a feasible solution for my specific situation in which my health and quality of life is markedly improved by the ability to have articles read to me. Thank you Joel! -Ralph
- (2019-07-17) Michal: left mouse clicking skip the reading text and jump to the next paragraph, you can't use other browswer (chrome) pages at the same time because of that problem. Can You fix it?
- (2019-07-04) C. Tony Curtis: Free version should include variable reading speed like other extensions.
- (2019-06-13) Mike Barlow: I've used and trialed many text to speech (TTS) application from installed applications such as TextAloud to browser based. This is a pretty good one. I wish the the premium was a little less expensive or had a way to try it out for a few day or with a monthly subscription.
- (2019-06-09) Dungeon Master: And why I must buy that, if it don't working iven in demo?
- (2019-06-03) 이기진: 한국어 잘 읽어줍니다. 속도 조절을 하려고 했더니, 그건 프리미엄을 구입해야 하나봐요! 선택된 텍스트를 기계음이 아니라고 생각할 정도로 부드럽게 읽어줘서 좋습니다.
- (2019-05-31) Іван Герасевич: не працює з українською мовою :(
- (2019-05-20) Humanitaire Empathique: Options require you to buy it. Also it seems to modify google extensions page to make it difficult to rate it.
- (2019-05-07) noemi calabi: Excelente!!!
- (2019-02-01) Thomas Kastrup: This program is not compatible with Danish language as written on the page
- (2018-12-04) Faisal Parulian: Crash when read arabic
- (2018-11-30) Sandra Yang: 一段不到就卡住了。
- (2018-11-16) Saucy Powers: Speech Recognition dengan multi language. sayang delainya lama
- (2018-09-24) Department for Scientific Spirituality DSVV: Nice! Text to speech for Hindi is amazing.
- (2018-08-11) Szabolcs Szász: Apart from the first example sentence, it never again uttered a word. (Win10 + Vivaldi, which is just about Chrome.) It apparently got stuck in "talking" mode forever, but remaining mute. And no Settings to be found?!... So, I selected the only applicable option: "Remove extension".
- (2018-07-07) Leson Chikwape: no voice
- (2018-05-19) dmitrij bortoq: does not work for ubuntu 16.04 chrome
- (2018-05-11) Wusk V.: It wouldn't read pdfs for me, but other than that I think it worked wonderfully. The words were pronounced properly, it wasn't too fast or too slow. That's regarding the free version though.
- (2018-04-16) Hudson Carlos Lima do Nascimento: Esse funciona.
- (2018-04-14) Nexus Rudolph: useful when i was trying to explore new languages to learn
- (2021-05-27, v:v6.0.0 Chrome Extension (2021-01-21)) Jorge Pereira de Almeida: PDF
How to use the extension to read PDF?
- (2021-05-24, v:v6.0.0 Chrome Extension (2021-01-21)) Diana Verhulst: Saving the voice and speed?
Hi. I read comments to others regarding changing the speed. I saw that I had to change the voice. I'm using a Chromebook. It's working great (can you get it to work inside a Kindle book please????).... :) My question is - I re-chose a voice (diff one), and was able to speed it up, but will that only take effect upon reading a new document? When I went back to the pdf I was reading, it continued with the old voice and speed. So can you tell me how to activate the change please? Thank you, and thanks for delivering this helpful product.
- (2021-04-24, v:v6.0.0 Chrome Extension (2021-01-21)) Rilo the Fox: Cannot Change TTS Voice
I was changing the EN-US voice to another one, but it doesn't let me
- (2021-04-15, v:v6.0.0 Chrome Extension (2021-01-21)) ProHolmes: Use the only language
Can I turn off all languages except the one I need to be pronounced. Sometimes if a page contains multiple languages, and it's a single word I need the wrong language is chosen.
- (2021-03-18, v:v6.0.0 Chrome Extension (2021-01-21)) Craftsman Chris: Biden
The pronunciation of Pres. Biden is wrong. The name Biden should rhyme with "pie", not "begin".
- (2021-02-20, v:v6.0.0 Chrome Extension (2021-01-21)) Habib Anwari: Can't change the speed
Hi, I already paid for the plugin last time. But I can't edit the speed of the voice. Can you please check this? I have both paid and unpaid plugins installed.
- (2021-02-10, v:v6.0.0 Chrome Extension (2021-01-21)) Drakkonus Frostburn: French Accent Voice
I don't normally read French webpages. Spanish pages yes. English pages all the time. For some reason the app will use Google francaise (online) to read English words. My settings for the app are set to Microsoft David Desktop-English (United States). How do I fix this issue? Thank you for your help with this great app,
- (2021-02-07, v:v6.0.0 Chrome Extension (2021-01-21)) JandB Claus: Purchased the premium but....
Can't get the different voices to play or it to read more than a couple sentences. And if i right click the extension in chrome it still asks me to upgrade.
- (2021-02-04, v:v6.0.0 Chrome Extension (2021-01-21)) Joel Purra: Talkie and Talkie Premium have merged to a single extension
The two separate extensions Talkie and Talkie Premium have merged into Talkie v6.0.0, installable from this Chrome Web Store page. Both extensions are created and maintained by myself, Joel Purra, with the difference that Talkie Premium had a paid subscription model to get access to additional options and features. From now on, Talkie has all Talkie Premium features available to those who upgrade from inside the extension. See the options in Talkie for more information. I hope to that many of you find the value in upgrading! Thank you for using Talkie =)
- (2020-10-05, v:v5.0.1 Free Chrome Extension (2019-05-07)) CJ Cowboy: Finnish
Hi, I fixed it. I still had to download the speech package. Cheers Ilpo
- (2020-10-05, v:v5.0.1 Free Chrome Extension (2019-05-07)) CJ Cowboy: Finnish
Hi, I have windows 10 pro on my laptop and MS Edge Canary and it reads aloud English and German PDF documents. I bought Talkie Premium and added Finnish as option in Windows language settings, but I cannot get my laptop to read aloud Finnish PDF documents. It says that Talkie Premium is installed on your website, but I cannot see it in my downloads. What do I need to do ? Cheers Ilpo Makinen [email protected]
- (2020-07-05, v:v5.0.1 Free Chrome Extension (2019-05-07)) fetB: speed
come on... 20 bucks/year for reading speed???
- (2020-03-18, v:v5.0.1 Free Chrome Extension (2019-05-07)) Леонид Микшаков: language,
can't use russian language
- (2019-12-20, v:v5.0.1 Free Chrome Extension (2019-05-07)) Tim Telep: Mispronunciation of personal titles
Talkie says "M" "R" instead of "Mr."
- (2019-12-18, v:v5.0.1 Free Chrome Extension (2019-05-07)) Envios List: momos
I need to download Talkie Audio in mp3 file, is it possible?
- (2019-11-15, v:v5.0.1 Free Chrome Extension (2019-05-07)) changing voices
I have a mac os. I have gone through the setting in accessibility and my set voice is Samantha, but talkie is using Fiona which has accent. which is bad when my class is business law. I want to know why my voice was change in takie and how can i change back without paying
- (2019-11-13, v:v5.0.1 Free Chrome Extension (2019-05-07)) Gia D: Do you have greek language available for free?
Do you have greek language available for free?
- (2019-09-16, v:v5.0.1 Free Chrome Extension (2019-05-07)) Jānis Ķengurs: Languages
Why isnt more languages? Can i add own with some link? Latvian language from google and some more better ones tts services having Latvian?
- (2019-08-09, v:v5.0.1 Free Chrome Extension (2019-05-07)) Janet Sannipoli: changing voices
When I try to select a different voice under options it won't let me. Is that feature only available in the Premium version, or should I be able to in the free version? Thanks!
- (2019-04-30, v:v5.0.0 Free Chrome Extension (2017-12-11)) Joel Purra: Problems opening the voice settings in Chrome 74
Hello everyone! Seems there is a problem opening Talkie's voice settings in Google Chrome 74. Instead of the voice settings a generic Chrome page with extension information is shown. It worked well in Chrome 73 so seems to be a very recent change. I'll look into it, and don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions =) - Joel Purra, Talkie's developer
- (2019-02-16, v:v5.0.0 Free Chrome Extension (2017-12-11)) Ray Tatro Villa Barranca HOA: ivona voices
can i instal ivona premium voices on this app and are instructions ivona only sells voices for windows but they seem to work fine. i have the voice i want i just need an extension to play it. if you want to see it first i can send it to you,
- (2019-02-12, v:v5.0.0 Free Chrome Extension (2017-12-11)) Shai Spetgang: Hebrew
Can't get the Hebrew text to speech recognition working on my chrome. Help.
- (2019-02-11, v:v5.0.0 Free Chrome Extension (2017-12-11)) Christa Williamson: Talkie Not Working
Hello. I'm using a Chromebook. I am working on a Google Doc and wanted Talkie to read it back to me. I clicked on the icon from my browser's toolbar and it told me to select text first. I did, but it constantly repeats the same directions no matter what I do. How can I get it to read my text?
- (2019-01-17, v:v5.0.0 Free Chrome Extension (2017-12-11)) talkie
il a cessé brutalement de lire un document et ne veut plus se remettre en route.
- (2019-01-07, v:v5.0.0 Free Chrome Extension (2017-12-11)) Can Talkie Be Paused?
Can Talkie (the free Version) be paused once started?