A Cookie Whitelist Manager that helps protect your privacy. Automatically removes unwanted cookies.
Cookies can be used for authentication, storing your site preferences or anything else that can be saved as text data. Unfortunately they can also be used to track you. You could turn off cookies completely or just shut off third-party cookies. But that would also keep out useful cookies that many web apps rely upon to work (like Google Mail or Calendar). With Vanilla you can select which cookies you want to keep on a whitelist. All unwanted cookies are deleted automatically (or manually if you prefer). If you close your browser often, follow the "recommended usage" on the options page to get rid of unwanted cookies whenever you close Chrome. If you seldom close you browser you should let Vanilla automatically delete unwanted cookies after 30 minutes. Review on Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5693011/vanilla-whitelists-your-cookies-in-google-chrome Here's a nice description on My Digital Life: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/12/01/vanilla-whitelists-cookies-for-google-chrome ++ Cookie vs Local Storage ++ Beause of a limitation of Chrome its currently not possible to offer the same functionality for local storage that is available for cookies. If you would like to get this feature please star this Chrome issue: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=78093 If you run into problems: + Cookies should be enabled: in Chrome's cookie settings select "Allow local data to be set" + Make sure that you add your sites to the whitelist (include subdomains). + The site that stores your login might be different from the site you are using. E.g. if you log on to youtube.com with your Google ID you have to add both *.youtube.com and *.google.com. + If you want to contact me about a problem you can find my email address on the options page. What's new in version 1.4.0? + Added French translation by Rémi Berthoz! + Added link to Betract (my other hobby) What's new in version 1.3.2? + Source is now on GitHub + https://github.com/laktak/vanilla-chrome What's new in version 1.3.1? + Added an option to hide the omnibar icon. + Updated to comply with the new Chrome extension manifest. What's new in version 1.2.0? + Fixed an autodelete bug. + Added an option to change the minutes for autodeleting cookies. + Changed the link for my iPhone game. What's new in version 1.1.0? + Added support for localhost/intranet and sites with ports (at Michaels request). + Made the icon smaller (a longtime request). + Removed the donate coffee link from options (it wasn't a heavily used feature) and added a link to my Windows Phone 7 game.
- (2019-11-11) dex otaku: Sadly this plugin has stopped working, possibly as a result of changes to Chromium that have blocked the way it was working before (mid-2019). Cookiebro seems to pick up where this left off. Previously would have rated this 5 stars, so the fact that I'm leaving 1 now actually means something.
- (2019-11-05) Rich: I've been using this since its 'invention' and it has never failed me. I need something that easily deletes all the cookies I don't have in my Whitelist without my having to think about it, and this does it perfectly. If you know what you're doing when you sent it up properly, it works perfectly and has never failed me. There aren't many addons or extensions I've ever been able to say that about!
- (2019-10-13) Edoardo Pasca: So far it does what it says! At that is what I hoped. Great!
- (2019-10-06) Useless Proformaaccount: mostly useless. Does not give you access to a list of cookies to deal with, works with long precompiled lists instead which you can edit inderectly.
- (2019-08-20) Mike P: The section - "Recommended usage: add desired sites to your whitelist .... etc Needs an option to "Delete unwanted cookies NOW"
- (2019-07-25) Simon Ghoul: great but my cookies on all sites including whitelisted ones had been getting deleted lately... I am not sure why this is, but it could had been anything else (My disk health is on caution, or chrome updates, or other stuff) I am going to figure out how to fix this and if I get it fixed I'll turn it to 5 stars. Right now I just tried unchecking the "protect whitelisted sites" (my settings are not set to delete cookies after I close chrome) This extension is great, does the job, let's you whitelist cookies. It's excellent. I recommend it.
- (2019-07-04) Willem van Geldrop: Great extension!! Only lacks sync feature, that would make it 5 stars!
- (2019-06-28) Al Brat: Target Audience: all users who wants to easily clean up intrusive tracking cookies from unknown websites, but without losing data like their recently viewed items on sites they trust and visit regularly, like Amazon. Lightweight, as easy to use as an Ad-Blocker, and works wonderfully, unlike other "more advanced" cookie managers which most users do NOT need (since they don't know how to edit cookies). But here's a quick missing manual to get started with Vanilla Cookie: 1- Left Click on Vanilla cookie icon then Options, to open the cookie manager interface in a tab 2- Scroll down, and click on "Sites with unwanted cookies" further down the page. 3- For each site whose cookies you want to keep (ex: amazon.com), click on the link, then scroll all the way up, you'll see that site in the whitelist add box, click add and check the box for "include-subdomains", then scroll back down to continue scanning your "unwanted cookies" list (Developers: this step's the counter-intuitive one which may frustrate novice users: it took me a bit of time to figure out how to interact with that "unwanted cookies list". Also a "checkmark all the cookies to whitelist in bulk" instead of all this up and down scrolling to get started would improve the GUI a lot!). 4- Repeat, the "click on link in unwanted cookies you wanna keep", scroll, click add to whitelist, until you're SURE you've whitelisted every site's cookies you want untouched! 5- In "Recommended usage" click "Clear Unwanted Cookies on Startup" 6- Restart your browser! All the bad cookies are gone and all the white listed ones are still there. You can now browse cleanly : ) 7- As you browse, new cookies'll be deleted next time you start your browser, so if you want to keep the cookie(s) from a new website (ex: your online grocery store), left click on the cookie icon while on the supermarket's page, then "add to whitelist". If you check Chrome's advanced settings "under the hood" this extension's conservative, in that it won't affect settings like zoom % for each page and other site-specific navigation preferences, which again is great for novice casual users. Many thanks to the developers, bc inspecting and cleaning cookies manually is tedious!
- (2019-06-04) Robin Melior: Ich spreche jetzt mal für die 10 Menschen auf diesem Planeten, die nach nach 17 Jahren Nichtgebrauch nicht über Nacht fließend Englisch sprechen oder ad hoc Programmierfähigkeiten entwickelt haben und trotzdem irgendwie allein klar kommen müssen (p.s. jeder zu arg den Baisbezug verloren zu haben scheinende Programmierer [(es möge sich bitte auch nur dieser Teil angesprochen fühlen) ist herzlich eingeladen sich mein lateinisches Weihnachtsständchen von "Oh Tannebaum" anzuhören mit anschließender Essaybewertung ;-)] ...diese App lässt dich nicht ahnungslos im Wald vor der gesperrten Seite stehen, sondern lässt dich die 3 Standardweg zur schnellen Selbst- und Nachkorrektur zügig nachvollziehen, ohne das 100´ste mal in der deswegen unendlichen lang werdenden Nacht ein Nachschlagewerk zu durchsuchen, weil du in jedem 2. Satz fest hängst. Funktioniert tadellos, simpel zu bedienen, nur zu empfehlen!!
- (2019-04-03) Jack Z: Fills the gap in Chrome's cookie management by providing a white list for cookies. Now when I exit Chrome, I know cookies for all sites are deleted except selected ones where I want to stay logged on. Nicely done!
- (2019-03-18) James Walsh: Great extension to add functionality that should just be there in chrome. Would be great if the ENTER key worked when manually typing in domains to whitelist (and the cursor focus returned to the data entry box). Thanks!
- (2018-12-25) Elizagail: REALLY COOL
- (2018-11-22) Rasheedah Julkiram: i want to understand using this. but it logs out my gmail account even being added to whitelist. my facebook does't logout though. can someone help me with this?
- (2018-10-08) Ferran Buireu: Simple y fácil de usar. Estéticamente se puede mejorar, pero funcionalmente es muy buena. Hace lo que se supone y permite guardar cookies en una whitelist.
- (2018-10-03) Guillaume de Toulouse: Depuis que j'ai installé sur Chrome, le nombre de cookies a considérablement diminué sans manipulation spéciale de ma part . Donc à priori, très très efficace.
- (2018-09-30) ismail belli: addling a sync option with google account would be great.
- (2018-09-05) Adrian Skar: Doesn't work anymore; :-(
- (2018-08-30) Philip Clarke: Not one user who reported a real problem here in the review section received a reply from Vanilla. I counted 10 in total. I was stoked to try this out; whitelisted all the sites I wanted in Google Settings on in Vanilla but just kept getting logged out. Other reviews report the same issue and yet no reply from Vanilla. Seems like you have a winning product that works for most but some users get left behind. Too bad.
- (2018-08-24) Diane Feliciano: I unistalled CCleaner due to recent security problems, so I was looking for a simple way to delete cookies while whitelisting the ones I want to keep. This is the solution. Very easy to use.
- (2018-07-13) Jay Cie: Clicked "remove unwanted cookies" and ALL of my cookies including even ones I whitelisted and other important ones like Evernote storage cookies are now gone; sign ins to major websites, all gone. Can't believe this. App should not assume everyone is a computer guru and WARN people. I had no idea you consider log in cookies "unwanted". Can't believe this.
- (2018-06-19) Barbara Baskin: Perfect except it signs me out of all Google sites, and I do have it whitelisted.??
- (2018-06-06) Jörg Zeipelt: The extension is very good and I've been using it for years. Sadly since Chrome was updated to version 67 this extension uses up all CPU-resources, so my Macbook gets extremely hot and loud.
- (2018-06-04) Stephen Beckett: Good extension, please add auto syncing of whitelist!
- (2018-06-03) Vickie Padgett: I have been so irritated with Google and the process of deleting cookies from news sites, etc. because it always reset to the top after each alphabetic delete. I didn't realize Google Play had Apps for this. I must have used a wrong search term before. This time on my 2nd try this app was there. Reviews were good and description was what I wanted. I input all my whitelist, closed Chrome and when opened they were all there. Very Happy UPDATE: I went through the news feeds and closed Chrome. Then checked settings and there were a few which were not deleted. Changed to 4 star.
- (2018-06-01) Ad lab: well i just discovered that when this extension was ON, google helper uses 99% of my cpu. whats up with that? i disabled every single extension one by one when i finally figured out this one is the blame.
- (2020-01-13, v:1.4.0) Charnita Fance: Browser icon for dark themes
I use a dark browser theme and since the browser icon is also dark (black), I can barely see it. It would be nice to have the option to switch to a white/lighter icon for dark themes.
- (2019-12-10, v:1.4.0) Royal Cheese: Vanilla Cookie Manager no longer work
Vanilla Cookie Manager no longer work, it does not remove unwanted cookies, My settings are the recommended ones: whitelisted the websites (domains) I needed, then I let the extension clear unwanted cookies at startup. However, it no longer do that, so my browser started accumulating more and more cookies. I am now testing other cookies management extensions, since VCM needs an update to function again.
- (2019-11-16, v:1.4.0) Harrie Halfsoft: Vanilla with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Vanilla does not always remove unwanted cookies on startup when used with Microsoft Edge Chromium.
- (2019-09-27, v:1.4.0) Ed Elder: Auto Sign-On's quit working
For the past few weeks, I've had to sign-on to all my apps that used to come up in Chrome already open. These include Gmail, Facebook, Instagram and Google Voice. I went into both the Vanilla Manager and Chrome Settings and tried all possible combinations. The only way it works now if by disabling the Vanilla Manager. I am running the latest Vanilla Manager and Version 77.0.3865.90 of Chrome on Windows 7.
- (2019-07-18, v:1.4.0) n ascentt: please fix vanilla
Please fix vanilla, it's heart breaking that this no longer protects whitelisted cookies from chrome deleting on close, nor can automatically delete unwanted cookies itself anymore. This is the best addon!
- (2019-03-28, v:1.4.0) Mel Brands: Does not auto-delete cookies on Chromium 73
Hi, I've noticed that Vanilla doesn't auto-delete unwanted cookies automatically anymore. I have it set to clear cookies every 60 min but it doesn't seem to do that. I've noticed that on Twitter you remain logged in for hours/days even when you've not whitelisted the site. Also, this extension doesn't clear LocalStorage. I've noticed that there was an issue with Chrome not having this ability and the developer has been asking users to star the issue but that issue has been fixed months ago. Vanilla still can't clear them however. Other than this, the extension works if you manually clear the cookies every now and then. But you should clear LocalStorage too because just clearing the cookies is useless. Thanks for reading and hope someone can fix this!
- (2019-01-24, v:1.4.0) Royal Cheese: Doesn't seem to work with HTTPS browsing
Whitelisted domains (ex: *.google.com) still require a login or at least clicking on the "Login" button, loading the login page and automatically retrieving the cookie, when browsing on the HTTPS version of the website. Is there any possible fix, or the encrypted nature of the HTTPS traffic means the extension can not work as seamlessly as intended? PS: great extension nonetheless! :)
- (2018-12-29, v:1.4.0) Peter Lloyd: Conflict with Dashlane
Hi - the latest version of Dashlane is no longer working with cookie manger. Is this a bug that you are aware of? Thanks Pete
- (2018-11-14, v:1.4.0) Maarten Visser: Bug
at some sites in the whitelist, the website keeps asking to keep cookies. In the whitelist I noticed there is a dot added so the url reads .www.domain in stead of www.domain. I have to manually edit to remove the dot, than it works.
- (2018-08-14, v:1.4.0) Christian Ullrich: Protection does not work
For one or two Chrome releases now, "protect whitelisted cookies" has not worked correctly. The effect is that I'm logged out of Chrome every time I close it.
- (2018-07-28, v:1.4.0) Jaroslav Súkeník: Delete cookies for just one page
for just one specific page is it possible?
- (2018-06-02, v:1.4.0) Jackie Warren: no icon
i added to chrome and restarted my computer and it isn't on my page