Edit web pages prior to printing. Delete, hide and format elements. Edit text. Remove adverts and sidebars.
CHANGES Version 26.4 • New %HOSTW% predefined field in saved file names which is replaced by hostname without 'www.'. OVERVIEW Print Edit WE provides facilities to edit the contents of a web page prior to printing or saving as HTML or MHTML. Elements in the web page can be formatted, hidden or deleted and text can be edited or inserted. Unwanted content, such as adverts and sidebars, can easily be removed. Note, to use the Save As HTML feature, the Save Page WE extension (version 14.0 or later) must be installed and enabled. BASIC OPERATION To start editing the page, click on the Print Edit WE button on the main toolbar, or select Print Edit WE > Print Edit on the context menu. A blue 'EDIT' (editing) badge will appear on the button. The 'Web Style' feature is disabled by default, so that the page displayed looks similar to how the page would look if printed normally. When the 'Web Style' feature is enabled, the page displayed will look similar to how the page looks during normal browsing. The 'Text Pieces' feature is disabled by default, so that only whole blocks of text can be selected. When the 'Text Pieces' feature is enabled, individual pieces of text can be selected and edited and line breaks are displayed. An edited web page can be saved as a single HTML file, which can be viewed or re-edited using Firefox or Chrome. An edited web page can also be saved as a MHTML file. Click the 'Preview' button to see how the edited web page will look when printed. Close the preview window to return to editing. PRINT EDIT WE TOOLBAR The buttons available on the Print Edit WE toolbar are: • Select - select all elements or all graphic elements, or re-select elements from previous command. • Deselect - deselect all currently selected elements. • Hide - hide currently selected elements. • Delete - delete currently selected elements. • Hide Except - hide all elements except those currently selected. • Delete Except - delete all elements except those currently selected, with varying restrictions. • Format - apply format properties to currently selected elements. • Text - edit a text piece or insert new text before or after element. • Undo - undo the action of previous edit command. • Undo All - undo the actions of all previous edit commands. • Save - save web page as a single HTML or MHTML file. • Text Pieces - allow selection and editing of individual text pieces. • Web Style - alternately remove or apply CSS print stylesheets. • Preview - open the Print Preview window. • Close - finish editing. • Tools - access to the Fix Page Breaks features and to the Options dialog. • Help - show the Help panel. The Delete Except button has three menu items: • Restricted - higher level elements retain their relative position and size. • Without Float - higher level elements retain their relative position and size, but cannot float right. • Unrestricted - higher level elements can reposition and resize freely, but cannot float right. In this context, “higher level elements” means the ancestors (parent, grandparent, etc) of the currently selected elements. MOUSE ACTIONS The mouse actions are: • Move - move highlight box to highlight element. • Click - select or deselect highlighted element. • Right-Click - inspect format properties for highlighted element. • Drag - select all elements within capture box. • Shift+Drag - select all graphic elements within capture box. • Ctrl+Drag - deselect all elements within capture box. SUPPORT Please e-mail: [email protected] LICENSE Distributed under the GNU General Public License version 2. See LICENCE.txt file and http://www.gnu.org/licenses/
- (2020-07-18) Soichi Oikawa: Microsoft Edgeの「印刷をすっきり」がなくなって、代わりになるものを探して見つけたのですが、この拡張機能は素晴らしいです！
- (2020-07-13) Hern Chen: I used to Print Friendly & PDF for web page printing. Print Friendly is more automatic/simple but it seem to messed up quite often. Print Edit WE is a lot of more flexible/powerful and gives you complete control on what to print or not to print. I found myself using Print Edit WE more often.
- (2020-04-07) Suresh Kamble: did not at all ,
- (2020-03-25) Joel Miedema: A simply superb tool - once you get used to having it available you'll never want to go without it! Very powerful feature set for choosing exactly what and how to display the page content before printing or generating true vector PDFs. I love this extension and have been using it happily for months!
- (2020-03-13) chen pen: the best one
- (2020-02-22) Ran Masumi: 領収書印刷に活用させて頂いています。 不要な部分の削除などでき、大変便利なのですが、自分で日付やメモを入力する際、 テキスト入力を任意のサイズで指定で決めようになると更に助かります。
- (2020-02-21) master: 赞！ 真的超好用！
- (2020-02-13) Manivan Max A.: One of the very few, time tested, truly awesome browser extensions of all times. Its included in my essential "MxChrome" pack. So many usages.. Great job.
- (2020-01-27) Samantha Dzirko: I use this extension to save ink and paper when printing articles and recipes. It's also great for removing ads and unwanted photos when you want to save a .pdf copy of a webpage. Works great!
- (2019-12-30) java mochafrap: Does a good job of printing what i need and blocking/ deleting what i dont need. Saves ink.
- (2019-12-21) Rahul Varshney: others don't work , this did. great for editing gmails. first click print all, then exit out of the print dialog box, then click print-edit-we extension
- (2019-10-22) Winston Zhang: 精确选择、编辑并打印所需要的内容
- (2019-10-19) Ibrahim Alghamdi: Excellent
- (2019-10-01) Michael Madsen: Finally a printing option that can help me save a website as pdf with elemental control. Awesome job!
- (2019-09-09) cs X: 只有这个最好用
- (2019-08-27) Constantine Mankov: Отличное расширение!
- (2019-08-22) hei za: 找了好多打印拓展,这是最好用的一个
- (2019-08-21) Guus Eikens: Edit & tweak a webpage before printing? I'm afraid that from this moment on I cannot do without this clever extension.
- (2019-08-05) Garrett Fuller: I print a lot of receipts from online as a part of my job. This extension makes it easy to get things down to one page, which is a life saver for me. It really works great.
- (2019-07-13) Miguel Angelo Santos Bicudo: Muito bom, mas requer um pouco de prática para editar estilos.
- (2019-07-09) lun wang: Awesome! I usually save the webpage to pdf files, and then read them in my iPad. Thank you.
- (2019-06-16) Blowing Tyrant: It is very delicious...
- (2019-05-12) Severin Vogt: Very excellent extension, saved me a ton of time erasing unwanted stuff when printing some articles for school.
- (2019-04-27) Ville Walveranta: Does what I needed! I wanted to make some pages shorter before printing with priPrinter so that unnecessary content on the top would not cause a page-break. Works great!
- (2019-04-19) Lilly Rose: Not working correctly. Still seeing images and text printed out even when deleted.
- (2020-08-01, v:26.3) Lemos JLM: Resize the photos
Hello! Please, add the option to resize the photos equally Print Friendly & PDF. Thank you.
- (2020-07-09, v:26.3) Mary Smith: not working right any more
It's not working right at Amazon, Paypal and even FredMeyer Groceries. Can't select an area. The only way to select is to surround text with the mouse and then delete and try to print what's left. very clumsy. It used to work fine. I use Vivaldi.
- (2020-05-06, v:26.1) Dan Robinson: Page Setup Blank
This is for the Firefox version. About a month ago I clicked on the page setup button and the popup page is completely blank. After that every time I try to print anything with either print edit WE or the FF Print icon, I get a single page blank except for header and footer, no content.
- (2020-04-29, v:26.1) Marcela Albuquerque: Having difficulty with Print Edit WE settings
I have succesfully set up and used Print Edit WE to print from a specific webpage from work. I need and use it a lot for this end, since there is information that I need to save as PDF and the website itself doesn't allow us to (it used to, but not anymore). I don't know why or what happened but Print Edit WE has recently returned to its default settings. Since then, I have not been able to adjust the settings as they previously were, therefore not being able to save the PDFs properly. I must have the text entirely moved to the left, but that's not what happens. The text box goes to the left, but not the text itself. I have tried all possible formatting combinations with no success at all. I like this chrome extension a lot, it's the best print editor available at the Chrome Store. However, it's no user friendly. It took me quite awhile to understand and adjust it to the perfect settings when I first used it. Now, I simply can't replicate these settings anymore. I desperately need assistance and thank you in advance for it.
- (2020-04-25, v:26.1) Eric Trattner: Save as PDF
Dear Sirs, This follows my having (happily, if I may say) used your extension in Firefox for quite a long time. A few minutes ago I added it to my Chrome & Vivaldi browsers and failed to find the Save as PDF option (only HTML & MHTML). Installation issue? Configuration? Something I am missing? Your prompt & helpful support will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for your attention to this matter. Keep safe, Cordially, Eric
- (2020-03-31, v:26.1) Thunder Rooster: Walmart
It has stopped working for Walmart. You can delete parts but when you preview the page it still shows the parts you deleted.
- (2020-02-27, v:25.1) Mary Smith: not working at paypal any more (& not so much at amazon)
It used to work fine at these 2 sites. But now I can't select anything and proceed to delete.
- (2020-02-22, v:25.1) Ran Masumi: Text size
Thanks for a useful app. I'm happy to be able to change the font size when entering text.
- (2020-02-15, v:25.0) npn bkck: Save selection & Shortcut keys
Could we have two more things? + Save print settings for pages from the same domain (for example: remove some banners) + Shortcut keys for buttons (Remove, Preview...) Thanks!
- (2019-12-21, v:24.4) Rachel Phillips: print we , hide/delete except
when i select a middle centered box(red outlined), the entire box flushes to the left is cut off, help
- (2019-12-09, v:24.4) Scott Flore: page breaks
how the heck do I move/edit page breaks???
- (2019-11-24, v:24.4) GA Thomas: mhtml
I do not think the problem is Print Edit WE. Tried saving with another application called 'Save as MHTML'. It does the same thing. Automatically wants to save as .txt file
- (2019-11-24, v:24.4) GA Thomas: mhtml
When I select Save As MHTML, the save file automatically wants to save as .txt Only if I type in mhtml, will it save as mhtml, but at least it will.
- (2019-10-30, v:24.4) Brian Holt: May No Longer Save to ".mhtml" in Chrome - Saves as ".txt" File Instead ...
Like another user posted, I can no longer save my edited web pages in the ".mhtml" format. When I click to save the edited page as ".mhtml", the browser that I am using (Google Chrome version 78.0.3904.70 (Official Build) (64-bit) latest edition) it saves the edited page as a ".txt" file. If you would please work on a "fix" for this I would really appreciate it, as your extension is absolutely awesome, and I use. it multiple times a day! Thanks.
- (2019-10-27, v:24.4) T Bell: Print Edit We no longer saving as mhtml file
I've been using Print Edit We for years on Firefox. Even kept an extended release version of Firefox so I could continue using this extension when newer versions of Firefox stopped supporting it. But then I changed over to using Chrome and was delighted to find the extension was available in Chrome. In the last week however, when I go to save a page, it no longer saves it as a .mhtml file, but instead saves it as a .txt file. If I manually change the extension to .mhtml, it does turn into a.mhtml file , but why this change in behavior? Does it have something to do with the fact that Chrome no longer lets you save web pages as mhtml files? (Very stupid thing to do, on the part of Chrome developers. Had to install a special extension so I could continue to save pages as mhtml files.)
- (2019-10-18, v:24.4) olivier Dulac: get rid of size limits - tables boundaries
I love your extension : I can quickly delete unwanted columns (side columns, menus, top bar, ads, etc). But then I end up with a narrow colon with what I want, but I couldn't find any simple way to resize that (ie, let it expand in the page's width that has been freed from the former clutter)... how does this work? (There is, to my knowledge, no HowTos showing how such common tasks are done, nor are there complete explanations of what each of the PrintEdit tool can do)
- (2019-07-04, v:24.2) James B: Preview
When I edit and than click on preview, the preview shows my tab bar (covers a part of page text) on Chrome
- (2019-06-21, v:24.1) Filippo Bottega: Unable to select area with mouse left button
Hello, I'm unable to select regions using the mouse. When I click the left button, a blue square appear and the red rectangle disappear. It seams that the drag and drop area is wrong. I have made a video to clarify the problem: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AcVhKZoa6-ceU_x4PHjq6FVk7C0vdPzS/view?usp=sharing Best regards, Filippo.
- (2019-06-07, v:24.1) Dean Karr: Need very, VERY basic instructions
Have installed in Chrome and have been playing with for over 30 minutes, and all I have managed to do is select pink boxes and delete the rest. After that nothing seems intuitive to me. Even when selecting the pink boxes, it was one paragraph at a time; and when I tried to select a list of items, it was one line at a time. Is there no way to define a box with the mouse and select everything inside it? I need to beginners manual to define the purpose of each button on the Toolbar; and then a step-by-step procedure for selecting a multi-screen area of a web site; removing elements; adding text; editing text; resizing elements; then saving and/or printing the results.
- (2019-05-13, v:24.0) Anders Frederiksen: Great extension for very simple pages - fails for all complex types...
...and I simply don't get why the edit view and print preview are totally different? It really limits the use; the prints are just as useless as FireFox's own. ;-P So I often find myself copy/pasting to a word document. Probably I should program something instead. But possibly, I'm simply missing something?!? Example: hi5.dk/Temp/Printpreview.pdf
- (2019-04-04, v:23.15) Дмитрий Деткин: Nor working on Saved Pages
Hello. This is the best (and only one) utility to modify pages before printing/ Thank you. Bat not working on saved pages. I open saved page in browser and click on button "Print Edit". After that appear mess 'Cannot be used with this page". Will it work in Chrome? In Mozilla it works best!