Take control of noisy tabs: mute by default, blacklists, and more
June 2016 update: MuteTab now mutes, knows when tabs are playing sound, and includes new features such as showing only recently noisy tabs, mute by default, and blacklists. The extension was first released in 2011 as an experiment in providing browsers with a better sound management experience given limitations imposed by Chrome and Flash. This latest version fixes previous functionality and adds new features thanks to work done since then that gave Chrome audio indicators and tab muting and made that accessible to extensions. MuteTab's features include: * Shows only tabs that are playing sound now or did so recently. This is great if you have a large number of tabs open, they span across windows, or you want help identifying what was playing sound. * Mute all tabs, background tabs, or incognito tabs by default. * Buttons and keyboard shortcuts to mute all tabs, mute background tabs, and unmute all tabs. * Set exceptions to muting behavior via whitelists and blacklists. * Add your music player to a "music list" so that it gets excluded when muting all or background tabs. * "Privacy mode" will mute all of your tabs (including your music) when you want silence; you can then unmute tabs you want to listen to. You can assign it to a keyboard shortcut, too. * Disable automuting lets you temporarily disable all of the above behavior. * See a count of noisy tabs you avoided hearing by hovering over the "MuteTab" text in the top left corner. * Experimental "music ducking" feature will mute your music for you when you watch a video and unmute it afterward. Note: Chrome made various changes since this was released. You need to either use this extension to mute/unmute or Chrome's mute site site feature and not both. Recent Release History 8/5/2019 v3.0.10 - Remove unsafe-eval permission request 8/5/2017 v3.0.9 - Fix for previous fix to prevent extension from dying 7/23/2017 v3.0.8 - Added error checking that will hopefully prevent the extension from dying 5/19/2017 v3.0.7 - New keyboard shortcut available to mute background tabs and unmute the current tab 4/12/2017 v3.0.6 - Fixed a bug that prevents muting a whitelisted tab when opened in a new tab 3/19/2017 v3.0.5 - Mutes all/background tabs when settings are loaded if that is the muting behavior. 11/20/2016 v3.0.3 - Doesn't mute tab if mute background tabs is set and tab is dragged to different window. 11/20/2016 v3.0.2 - Made UI wider and left-aligning menu items on the bottom so the UI looks better at various resolutions. Let me know if butons get cut off (ideally with a screenshot) so I can make it wider if needed. 6/2016 v3.x
- (2020-01-12) Sky: Excellent plugin. Really helpful!
- (2019-10-28) Lee Weii: This plug in is what i have been waiting for, the best
- (2019-10-07) Jawash Asalan: only tested if it automatically mutes incognito tabs and it does. Of course you have to enable it in "manage extensions" for incognito mode and on a fresh install you should open the incognito mode only after installation.
- (2019-06-25) mertcan: very usefull thank you very much
- (2019-05-19) Emerson Henrique: Perfeito!!
- (2019-05-17) z4nf1r: util
- (2019-05-07) Lee: Alas, this is an incomplete solution. I selected muting by default because I don't want sites blaring their noise at me when I happen to visit the site. Alas, unmuting the site is clumsy. I cannot use the volume control in the video: it will change from mute/unmute status but has no effect on the actual muting of the document (web page). The speaker icon in the tab is no longer a user-clickable object, so no changing the muting there. Right-clicking on the tab and selecting Mute/Unmute site has no effect (once this extension is in control). I have to click on this extension's toolbar icon, carefully place the mouse cursor over the dim speaker icon, and click it to change from mute to unmute. This method, the only one that works, is clumsy and error-prone. I will have to find the extension that added a toolbar icon to do the mute/unmute function. I remember using it before because this extension doesn't have a one-click mute toggle for its toolbar icon. Pity that I have to add another extension because this one is incomplete.
- (2019-02-16) Joe L: Brought back the functionality Chrome used to have of individual tab muting that I'd been missing for months, but unfortunately the instructions for changing keyboard shortcuts seems outdated.
- (2018-11-19) osearth esp: LOVE THIS & Highly Recommend it!! Best way to find out which of my 40++ tabs is making noise and running chewing CPU. this is my favourite extension second to only "?dBlock. I wish there was a lite version that only had the ability to jump over to noisy tabs because that is all i use it for.
- (2018-11-05) Laura Scott: This plugin is great for muting background tabs. But it also mutes the active tab, and there's no setting to change that. If you mute, you end up having to unmute manually (in an awkward right-click menu) or whitelist the whole domain. I find I'm constantly scrambling to unmute a page to hear an ongoing video. If I could just know that when I play a video on a site I'm on, it's unmuted by default, and that page gets muted if I go to another tab, that would be the bee's knees.
- (2018-09-16) Dragon: Thank you really helped!
- (2018-06-09) Nossa!!! Muito bom bom funciona como prometido
- (2018-05-24) Martin Lichtblau: Splendid! Just the right features well done.
- (2018-04-21) Holger Kowalski: works only fine with chrome://flags/#enable-tab-audio-muting set to enable
- (2018-04-02) Gersivan Oliveira: Funciona como promete.
- (2018-03-09) Axel Yates: Does what I need it to do. When Chrome went to "mute site" this works to "mute tab" instead. 5 stars
- (2018-01-28) Kenneth Z: This is one of the best auto mute extension. All the functions and UI is well design. I have one suggestion for the context menu. It will be much easier and faster to use if you have it under one sub level menu instead of two sub levels like "Current Tab" and "All Tabs" as one sub. Also is it possible to add the feature to enable or disable audio by clicking on the mute icon on the tab? Another solution is add a popup button where the user click to unmute. It will automatically disappear in 5 seconds if no click. Make this as setting where the user can change seconds to disappear.
- (2017-12-12) wagun evans: WHAT IS COMMAND SHIFT U NO COMMAND IN WINDOWS, USELESS APS
- (2017-11-12) Kevin L.: That 's what I want
- (2017-09-05) Daniel Powless: fixed zdnet instantly.
- (2017-08-02) David Holm: Thank you oh my god
- (2017-08-01) Mara Kalat: Was working just fine, but just suddenly stopped working. Tried updating (and saving) the blacklist in the settings, but no impact. Not sure what broke.
- (2017-07-10) No Left Turns: It's very klutzy I really need a smart app that unmutes the tab I'm on and mutes all other tabs you would think no human has ever wanted that before get smarter programmers guys
- (2017-04-21) Good extension, but the mute option is already in chrome. chrome://flags/#enable-tab-audio-muting The thing that would be really interesting, would be to add a volume control per tab.
- (2017-03-22) Andrian Andersen: Probably the most thoughtful extension that deal with audio mute. Internal explanations easy to understand & do just that.
- (2019-10-03, v:3.0.10) Jim Packer: Whitelist
The whitelist seems to not be checked on load, I have tv.youtube.com whitelisted, yet when page is loaded, it defaults to MUTED.
- (2019-09-23, v:3.0.10) Rhonald Shaw: Muting annoying ads on the side of page
Muting background tabs mutes the entire tab while looking at football game. I lose all sound. How do you mute the sound from annoying ads on the side of the page?
- (2018-07-15, v:3.0.9) one-click
would be most useful, if one-click on the tab would mute/unmute.
- (2018-03-15, v:3.0.9) Gary Warner: New problem: Can't Unmute a Site
Hi. I've been using your extension for a long time and LOVE it. ~ I have it set to mute all new tabs by default, with a few sites on a White-List. Then I UNMUTE a tab when I need to. ~ Recently I can no longer Unmute a tab. The option is there when I right-click, but it doesn't work. I'm using version 3.0.9. I've uninstalled, rebooted, updated chrome, gotten rid of other extensions, etc. etc. THANKS. Gary
- (2018-03-13, v:3.0.9) Jeong-hun Sin: Whitelisting a site should unmute currently opened tabs
If I whitelist www.example.com, and have opened a tab for that site, it should unmute the tab. Currently I have to whitelist and press the unmute button, which is redundant.
- (2018-03-10, v:3.0.9) Jeong-hun Sin: Yeah, there is a workaround
I cam here for the same reason as others: It started not to show "Unmute Tab" site when the tab has been muted. I see "Mute site" instead. As posted by the person in a red shirt, this can be circumvented by clicking the extension button, and then toggling the sound there, but this is not as convenient as dealing with the tab's menu. Unless this cannot be implemented due to Google's change, please make it work as before.
- (2018-03-06, v:3.0.9) Greg Fay: Not working with Plex.tx
By default, the x is through the speaker, but the text says "UnMute Site" as though it isn't muted. I hear no noise. When I Switch to "Mute" then back, it still doesn't allow any sound. No way to get sound without removing the extension completely.
- (2018-02-17, v:3.0.9) Adalid Claure: "Mute Site"
As someone else mentioned, the context menu for tabs now says "Mute Site" when it used to say "Mute Tab". This is annoying because now it doesn't work at all for me. I have the extension set to automatically mute any new tabs (unless they're on a certain white list). That still works but now the only way to unmute a tab is to "Unmute All Tabs".
- (2018-02-13, v:3.0.9) C N: Can't unmute
I don't know if it's because Chrome just updated but I can no longer unmute any tabs. Youtube has no sound unless I open it from a link and even then only some links will work, others wont.
- (2018-02-08, v:3.0.9) Jim Jones: Single Tab Mute
Just recently my choice when right clicking a tab is “mute site” when it used to be “mute tab”. I want to be able to mute each single tab as needed, but sometimes I am on a site and open links in new tabs and I want to be able to just mute some of those linked tabs, but it mutes all the tabs linked from the original site.