[Mac OS X only] The easiest way to open a webpage in Helium or HeliumLift.
Helium and HeliumLift are both free apps for Mac OS X which allow you to open a webpage in an always-on-top floating window at your convenience. This extension is the best way to interact with these apps! Simply click on the "Open in Helium" button in Chrome's toolbar to open the current page in Helium or HeliumLift. By right-clicking on elements in a page you can also directly open hyperlinks, page frames or multimedia files! Open in Helium has several tricks up its sleeve, such as the ability to autoplay YouTube links where you left off, open Twitch.tv streams in different styles with or without chat, and more! Tailor the extension to your liking in the options page. Your settings will sync to your Chrome profile. Best of all, Open in Helium does NOT have a persistent background page that will slow down your computer, or any special permissions!
- (2019-12-14) Volodymyr Gerasimenko: perfect
- (2019-10-11) Chancely Stater: Most recent chrome update broke what I was using before and this saved the day! Thanks Duder.
- (2019-09-20) Tim Z: Works great! Use it daily.
- (2019-08-02) Emily Klassen: Clicking the arrow button (yes, with helium installed from the app store), completely crashes chrome.
- (2018-12-10) William Xie: Solution that I found through trial and error to get this to work: 1. Get this extension for chrome 2. Download Helium from App Store 3. Press the black arrow to on a youtube video page and it should launch it in Helium 4. If it doesn't, go to the URL on the youtube page and prepend `helium://` to it. It should open a new chrome tab asking for permission to open Helium app. Check the box to always allow. Then 3 should work. It worked for few of my macs but not the newest. Took a while to figure out why. Hope this helps. Note that the current version of Chrome also supports picture-in-picture natively but I find it way too resource hogging unlike Helium so this is still the optimal way to watch videos on the Mac.
- (2018-11-27) kuro: nice~ NOTE: download Helium from MacOS App Store first
- (2018-11-08) Alexander Lester: Used to love the app, but it hasn't been working for a solid 6 months or so now. My agency would be more than happy to help development-wise, shoot us an email [email protected]
- (2018-08-09) Harsh Doshi Visuals: Just doesn't work? Doesn't open in helium and I have to copy paste the link to the youtube video myself... I wish it worked!
- (2017-12-10) Lassie Ameto: Testé et approuvé : fonctionne parfaitement avec Helium ou HeliumLift. Indispensable... et gratuit en plus. Bravo.
- (2017-10-10) ねぎ: iMac(sierra)で使えない
- (2019-08-02, v:1.6.2) Joshua Allen: Always causes Chrome to crash
When I either click on the icon in the taskbar, or right-click on the video and select "Open selected video in Helium", Chrome immediately crashes. I've tried reinstalling Helium and Open in Helium, along with restarting my computer and resetting Chrome settings, yet the issue remains.
- (2018-06-24, v:1.6.1) Bruno Orsini: Won't work for YouTube links
Hi! Extension works great for me (High Sierra / Chrome 67.0.3396.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)) *except* for YouTube links... The extension icon gets orange when I'm on YouTube and I can't send those links to Helium, which sucks bc that's exactly what I want to do 99% of the time : / Any ideas, please? Much appreciate it, congrats for the great extension!
- (2018-06-18, v:1.6.1) Jaewoo Byun: Help
When I click on the Open in Helium extension button, I get a notification saying The URL was redirected before sending. what do I have to do?
- (2018-02-23, v:1.6.1) Ashley S Doane: loss of sound after 10.13.3 update
loss of sound after 10.13.3 update. I've tried reinstalling and verifying sound system prefs.
- (2018-02-12, v:1.6.1) Justin Mitchell: Thanks for making this!
I've had no time to maintain or fix my own extension for HeliumLift. Would you mind if I simply link this extension instead of mine in the official HeliumLift readme?
- (2017-08-23, v:1.6.1) Pierre-François Bonnefoi: Opera
Hello, Could you modify the "pinned" option to "false" when you create the tab ? In Opera, pinned tabs remain and could not be automatically closed after opening the "helium://" URL. Thanks a lot, Best regards, Pierre-François.
- (2016-05-24, v:1.6.1) Yoni Lewis: wont open floating window
when i click on the extension icon on the toolbar a small window pops up that says opening page in helium, but then it goes away and doesn't do anything else. any suggestions?
- (2016-03-14, v:1.5) Jeff Adams: Netflix
Does this extension work for Netflix? When I try use it, it doesn't do anything.
- (2016-02-10, v:1.3) Keyboard shortcuts
Hello. You extension is great. Do you have any ideas on how to use keyboard shortcuts with it? For example: hold option+click on a link would send it straight to Helium. Thanks.