Collaboratively annotate, highlight, and tag web pages and PDF documents.
Use Hypothesis to hold discussions, read socially, organize your research, and take personal notes on webpages, PDFs and EPUBs.
- (2023-09-10) Yusuf Umac: Great app but my chrome extension keeps logging out way too frequently somehow. Every time I want to add a bookmark, I've to go through the singin flow again which is really frustrating. I've added the exception to allow cookies from the extension as well but using an add blocker, maybe that's why.
- (2023-09-04) eric ingerson: This is a "social" annotation tool. Which is a weird thing. It makes your annotations public (for some reason) by default and accidental clicks show you every other user's annotations (for some reason). Collaboration makes sense, but this vast social media approach is bizarre and distracting, and it seems this is mostly a social media ap for discussing articles with every other user. The steps to make things private are unintuitive and awkward, and the labels in this regard are contradictory (eg your annotation will say "public" but with a lock icon, which means it's in a public sphere, but locked from view. Disconcerting.) There are other similar aps without the social media aspect whose features are similar.
- (2023-05-02) melissa flores: I wish it had a underlining feature, because personally for me underlining and highlighting are two different methods of annotating for me so i think it'll be a perfect addition to the extension
- (2023-04-07) S J: Updated review: From 3 stars to 1. DO NOT USE. I spent HOURS going through and making notes on dozens of pages (an annoying, inefficient process as detailed below) yesterday, only to go back to it today, without even having closed the browser or the tabs in the meantime, and ALL but ONE page has lost the annotations. If I search for them, or for any done by me, it's the only one that comes up. So HOURS of work gone. This "service" is garbage and should NOT be used. Consider yourself warned. It's nice being able to annotate, but has issues. Can't set to always show notes (have to either leave the sidebar open or manually open it each time, instead of being able to keep note visible in corner), constantly having to log back in, which is both annoying and can cause issues, have to manually enable it on each and every page, even within the same site, and after having to log back in this last time every time I tried creating an annotation it would increment the counter number but not let me type anything, until I refreshed the page. Also, it reverts back to public instead of staying on private as set (or allowing a default to be set). Much potential brought down by poor design and possible bugs.
- (2023-03-18) Knee Kab: I tried and used hypothes.is a year or two ago (along with every other note taking \ pkm \ bookmark tool \ extension in the world ... i finally gave up and went to (try to) use worldbrain Memex and then Obsidian, and then, frankly gave up, and just used OneTab. Lately i started trying to come up with "a plan" again. Memex with Logseq, sorted and organized tab groups to Tab++ and whole sessions saves to OneTab ... the bulk of it happens between Memex and Logseq. Memex recently went paid (for more than 50 uses per month) so i went back to searching. Tried this again. Its MUCH better now. Feels smoother, tighter, more in the right place stuff, less in the wrong place. Great features. Private notes (finally?) ... integrates with Logseq. Will be using this and Logseq now, with tabmanager back ups just to be safe. But a FULL TEXT SEARCHABLE annotation (and defacto bookmark) service with a graph capable PKM (logseq) is THE TICKET. If Hypothes.is ever beefs up their note taking capabilities, it will be untouchable. HELL YEAH!
- (2023-03-17) Adam Tompline: This extension does one extra thing that other extensions doesn't. The option to temporarily hide all the annotations/highlights on the page. I don't know why other extensions overlooked this simple to implement feature. Thanks for this feature. Improvements: More variations of color. Its a bit bland right now.
- (2023-01-28) Krzysztof Płocharz: Keeps logging out. After each refresh of page I have to login again. After logging in I have to change "group".
- (2022-12-06) Laurent: Cannot use it without signing up
- (2022-11-14) Tobias Sherman: Conusing, not intuitive, awkward.
- (2022-11-14) Mikel Butterfield: Cannot comment without sign up... 1 star.
- (2022-08-30) Angel Heart: If I say it's a good extension, it would not be a appropriate review. It's a legendary extension with amazing features! <3
- (2022-07-11) Daniel R: I love it, but it's really really really annoying how every time I try to use it, I need to log in again.
- (2022-06-15) Bram Dg: Want to love it, but really need ~4 colors. Core functionality for me.
- (2022-06-12) Kelechi Mba: I was going to use this extension for one purpose which was to annotate PDFs, but my browser (Vivaldi) wouldn't allow it, which is a shame. It would have been perfect for me if a lot of browsers could have access to this extension.
- (2022-05-21) Everyone does Scientific Research: 非常伟大的理想实践者
- (2022-05-06) Bevis Zhao: It's a good tool, obviously, especially it's free. Thank you! But I still need two more features, please consider: 1. Support the original format, e.g. bold, newline, list, etc. 2. Automatically highlight the lines after openning a page, and without showing the drawer.
- (2022-04-10) Madame Minty: Might be best there is for collaboration. Wish it had more colors and more visible annotations (text on hover? anything, really). It would be nice if it had some sort of local storage cache, so it doesn't take 5 seconds to load what I just annotated.
- (2022-04-06) Sanjida Shaheed: Love it! Works like a dream, ma shaa Allah. Is there a way to change the highlight colour? Also, I would like to be able to move an annotation from one group tp another when needed for better organization. Please let me know how to achieve this.
- (2022-03-17) ri sheng: 非常有用，只是在批量处理上面差了一点...
- (2022-03-09) ling song: nice
- (2022-03-02) Darith Chan: Everything a student could ever wished for! note, highlight and even sync!
- (2021-11-23) Daniel Castro: Pretty good extension, but do I really have to manually enable it on every page I visit? Is there a way I can have it automatically enabled for every page?
- (2021-10-29) Joseph Gardi: i like using this to read articles intentionally. better to really read and annotate a small number of articles then read many articles superficially. I'm dissapointed that there are so few others using it. This is how the internet was originally meant to be!
- (2021-10-04) Lee Dolot: It is easy to use and make my work more efficiently
- (2021-07-20) David: Fantastic extension and service - the best I've come across. It makes it easy to markup web pages either as an individual or as a group (or with the whole world!). I use Obsidian to store my information and it's possible to pull down highlights using the Hypothes.is API for further work. I did have a problem being repeatedly logged out, but that's because I have third party cookies turned off in Chrome. It's easily fixed by allowing third party cookies from [*.]bjfhmglciegochdpefhhlphglcehbmek (which is the URL of the extension).
- (2021-06-25) P: Absolutely amazing tool! - Easy registration - No permissions required - Fast, intuitive - Keeps track of the files you highlight, even if you first annotate in your browser and then download it, Hypothesis will still know its the same file. Easily the best highlighter/annotation tool out there!
- (2021-05-24) Jianhua Xu: Nice extension! It would be great if the highlights can be marked with multiple colors.
- (2021-04-28) ling sun: 对比了其他所有类似插件，这个是最好的！（liner太贵了） 很不错的插件！ 一个建议：如果可以对一个网页默认启用划线就好了，否则需要每次点击一下才会开启（最好是可以设置是否默认启用）
- (2021-04-25) Artem Gargoma: Not working with local pdfs: "We’re sorry, Hypothesis couldn’t open that file… This extension can’t be used on local HTML documents at the moment." File url access allowed Version 88.0.4324.182 (Official Build) (64-bit), Ubuntu 20.04.02
- (2021-04-17) Yarin Kessler: Just installed this after trying a bunch of other web highlighters, and it's far and away the best one. The other extensions I tried are all half-baked: Instapaper and Pocket (garbage) don't let you highlight portions of the article inline. Liner does a better job with on-page highlighting, but has no API and so doesn't integrate with anything. Only Hypothes.is actually has seamless in-page highlighting and a legit API. Moreover it integrates with apps like Readwise, which is huge. Ironically it's the only one of the bunch that's free, though I'd gladly pay for it over the others. My only minor beefs are that I have to click the icon in my toolbar to show the highlights and that the highlight count indicator doesn't distinguish between my private highlights and the public highlights of others. But overall great tool.
- (2021-04-14) Wiliam Li: please add this to ms edge !
- (2021-04-02) 夏天: it's best annoation tools for chrome...
- (2021-02-06) 徐文超: Exactly what I want !!!
- (2021-01-17) Lola Macaulay: This app is incredible. The fact that it exists and every student on the planent doesn't know about it is a travesty. 100/10
- (2020-10-05) Lela 1298: Não dá pra desenhar. :(
- (2020-09-13) 林煒清: Why I can not export my notes !!!???
- (2020-08-31) Priscilla Ray S: The annotation button and highlight button are nowhere to be found. It doesn't appear when you highlight a text. So I can only make notes on pages -_-
- (2020-08-26) Melia Ahloe: It works really well, the features where you can click on an annotation and the page moves to where it is, is nice. I wish the color for highlights and annotations were different, though.
- (2020-08-26) David Hepting: As a high school English teacher I have been so impressed with the usability of this extension. It is perfect for finding texts online to annotate, discuss, and share more information/research more about them. Really thankful that I found it.
- (2020-08-06) Asheville SEO Ninja: One of the most underrated tools on the internet. I've been using it consistently for a little over 2 years now for everything from keeping track of random ideas to SEO & Web Design. 🖤🖤🖤
- (2020-07-21) 赵宇轩: I found a fun bug~ I am a developer and when I open localhost, I can see the notes from all users around the world~
- (2020-07-19) Okeey Cai: Totally free and easy to use!
- (2020-07-01) gou dan: 免费是最大的优点， 缺点是不好统一管理
- (2020-04-06) Leandro Xavier Patiño Galárraga: excelent
- (2020-03-23) Great idea, but the tag function doesn't work at all, I can't create or select tag when creating new annotation
- (2020-03-11) 朱思威: 竟然是完全免费的，太棒了！
- (2020-02-14) Yueh Han Huang: good mission!
- (2019-10-05) Spencer Mathews: A robust way to annotate web sites, and the relocatable PDF annotator is pretty cool, too. I can imagine some usability improvements that would make for a more natural user experience, and some features that would be helpful, but all in all a great product.
- (2019-09-24) Chris: This is an amazing idea and insanely helpful for education regarding annotating online textbooks. The one thing i have issues with and am hoping for a solution for is when annotations turn to "Orphans" when the page didn't alter too much. I find I run into this problem pretty frequently and have looked around only a little for some ways to fix this, hopefully someone can be of help if there is a solution available.
- (2019-09-23) Saurabh Khanduja: This is wonderful. Getting help from colleagues and helping around is way easier now. :).
- (2023-09-04, v:1.1334.0.1 (Official Build)) Matt Hodgman: Re: configuring Hypothesis for my course
My students keep telling me that they see a message on their end saying that they are not configured to use hypothesis within my asynchronous online writing course. The hypothesis content in my course was uploaded by a tech expert at my institution, not by myself. My students cannot perform the hypothesis related work for the course because they do not appear to have access to it. How can this be addressed? How and where am I able to grade my students' submitted Hypothesis assignments? Thanks, Dr. Matt Hodgman (Stevenson University)
- (2023-08-28, v:1.1334.0.1 (Official Build)) Kimberly Bright: Very Confusing
I do not know how to navigate around your website its not giving me straight forward answers on how to download or what's the next steps in getting to the right answer with your software. I did sign up for hypothesis but it is very confusing to me on how to use it and what I am going to need it for.
- (2023-07-18, v:1.1305.0.0 (Official Build)) Joshua Hightower: I know this is going to sound silly but how do I actually use this? .
I right-click on something I want to highlight but I see no option to do anything with the highlighted text. I am signed in to the extension. A step-by-step guide would be useful as I don't see any instructions. Like, what buttons do I hit to do what. Where does the information go when I highlight it and how do I access it?
- (2023-01-31, v:1.1203.0.1 (Official Build)) R.N. Thorn: Annotated document
Is there any way to download my annotated/highlighted document where it will show all my edits? I click the download button for my document and it only gives me the non-edited document.
- (2023-01-25, v:1.1170.0.0 (Official Build)) Colleen Powell: Trouble installing Hypothes.is
A class I'm taking is using Hypothes.is. I can't get it installed on my Dell Windows 10 lap top. Help please,
- (2022-12-01, v:1.1158.0.0) Sriparna Saha: Notifications do not work
We use Hypothesis extensively for reviewing content on beta sites. It is super-useful. The only pain is that we need to inform the writer after we add comments to look at the comments. The notifications only work when someone replies to the comments. Is there a fix or setting to let the author notify when a comment is added?
- (2022-11-19, v:1.1144.0.0) Riesl Varias: Colored highlighters
Love that I can now highlight and annotate online, but I find it difficult to organize all my highlights when they're all the same color. I think I'll continue using Weava for now since they offer that, but I'd love to use Hypothesis too in the future if we have this option available.
- (2022-05-30, v:1.1058.0.0) A N: Dark mode on PDFs
Dark mode extensions do not work with annotation extensions on PDFs.
- (2022-02-05, v:1.971.0.0) Mike Targaryen: Indented text no longer wrapping
Hi Recently (within a month or so the plugin has stopped wrapping text when indenting the text to get the alternative text appaerance. Now its just in 1 long line and it disapears off the screen! Please fix this as its broken and currly causing a lot of issue with reading.
- (2022-01-21, v:1.960.0.0) Bwebwentekai Bob Kabuati: installing to chrome extention
My pc is window10 Home,, how to add the extension?
- (2021-11-23, v:1.910.0.0) Kenneth L Miller: Privacy and FERPA
I reviewed the public vs private options for annotation. I would love to use the program in my CANVAS course and know that your tool is available. I am wondering if the student's annotations are publicly available or do the comments remain in the CANVAS LMS. Please advise.
- (2021-11-09, v:1.896.0.0) Hamza kutty: Hypothesis architecture
Would like to know whether the solution is cloud based or not. also, my documents are uploaded in cloud? can i use this tool offline where there is no internet connectivity?
- (2021-06-01, v:1.794.0.0 (Official Build)) Cecilia Pineda: Cannot get side pane to open!
Downloaded Chrome Extension on Windows 10 PC laptop. Nothing happens when I click on the browser icon. Nothing is added to menu when I right click. How else can I get this extension to work so I can annotate my websites and pdfs?
- (2021-03-14, v:1.690.0.0 (Official Build)) Randolph Chrismon: Hypothesis for MS Edge?
Do you have this app for Microsoft Edge? If so, is there a link where I can download it as an Edge extension? If you don't have an Edge version, I offer the suggestion that you do so. Edge runs on the Chromium engine, so it shouldn't be that hard, should it? Thank you for this product. I use it on Google and Firefox all the time.
- (2021-02-04, v:1.642.0.0 (Official Build)) Nancy M Watson: Highlight Button Not Showing
I have a document open in Google Docs, with Hypothesis installed and active, but when I highlight a sentence the only option that comes up is making a comment using Google edits. There is no pen icon anywhere on the sidebar that I can access. Previously, this worked beautifully for me with the buttons for highlight or comment showing on the page as soon as I highlighted a piece of text. I can't find my way back to that functionality. Help please! Nancy
- (2021-01-03, v:1.624.0.0 (Official Build)) Daniel Sá Carneiro: Nao funciona
Caros, instalei o hypothesis no chrome, mas nada acontece quando seleciono um texto. Como saber se ele está funcionando? A extensao está instalada e habilitada no brower, porém nada acontece. Obrigado.
- (2020-12-04, v:1.609.0.1 (Official Build)) Jennifer: Bookmarklet issues intalling
- (2020-09-13, v:1.507.0.0 (Official Build)) 林煒清: export annotations
Why I can not export my annotations !!!???
- (2020-08-06, v:1.438.0.0 (Official Build)) Luis Caballero: No Me descarga la extensión
No me deja descargar la extensión, me dice error
- (2020-06-23, v:1.438.0.0 (Official Build)) Justin Taylormangnall: I have a mandatory school project due and I never received the Email link to complete registration
I have a mandatory school project due and I never received the Email link to complete registration and allow access. This assignment is now 1 day late as a result. please provide the link. My username is Jmangnall.
- (2019-06-02, v:22.214.171.124 (Official Build)) Lynn Tang: Extension is not completely removed since sidebar is still showing for highlighting
I would like to know how to completely remove this.
- (2019-05-16, v:126.96.36.199 (Official Build)) Brandon Lewter: Is there a tracking replies feature?
I'm not super familiar with this extension, but am thinking about using it for a class I teach. I understand original annotations are tracked, but replies are not. Is there any way to add this feature in the future, or am I missing the option in the settings somewhere? Thanks for the awesome tool!!!
- (2019-05-13, v:188.8.131.52 (Official Build)) Untiltabl-3: Access- language : Bulgarian
Разширението Hypothesis - Web & PDF Annotation (идентификационен номер bjfhmglciegochdpefhhlphglcehbmek) е блокирано от администратора.
- (2019-01-25, v:184.108.40.206 (Official Build)) Mojtaba Vahdati: Possibility to use it simultaneously with other extensions like "Just Read"?
I want to use "just read" simultaneously with your extension but it seems that it can not currently work as a top layer on that extension. I wish this was possible. I'm not sure how difficult it is technically, so I'm just suggesting. Also please add the color green as another color for highlighting since it's much easier on the eye in my humble opinion. Thanks a lot.
- (2019-01-24, v:220.127.116.11 (Official Build)) TXprof online: setting up an assignment in Canvas LMS
I added the hypothesis app to my LMS Canvas course. When creating an assignment, I do not find the button to add a Canvas file from my course. Any assistance is appreciated. Laurie Coleman
- (2018-12-28, v:18.104.22.168 (Official Build)) Mehrad Mahmoudian: Browser crashes upon login
Just installed the extension on my Vivaldi browser (2.2.1388.37) and tried to login by clicking on the extension icon and then clicking on "Log in" link on the top right corner, a popup opens with the title "Authentication completed" (it's almost 2019 and yet they use popup!!) and then the browser crashes. it happens every single time!
- (2018-12-09, v:22.214.171.124 (Official Build)) Angel Emmanuel Vega-Sánchez: problems with the application.
I can't be able to use de application. I have installed the app twice in my mac but it can`t deploy the window for annonations or highlight.
- (2018-05-16, v:126.96.36.199 (Official Build)) Howard Glasser: An error has occurred
I tried adding this extension and it seemed to pinwheel for a while. When trying again it says "An error has occurred - This item is already being downloaded and added into Chrome." I've received that message even now, almost 8 hours after I initially tried adding it to Chrome. Any suggestions for what I should do?
- (2018-04-01, v:188.8.131.52 (Official Build)) Aaron Barrett: April 1st 2018
All of my video links are being Rick-Rolled to https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=dQw4w9WgXcQ. I hope this is only a prank that resolves tomorrow..
- (2018-03-30, v:184.108.40.206 (Official Build)) SE RIYANTO.: after submit annotations, page goes up
can test at site: https://solidity.readthedocs.io/en/v0.4.21/types.html#reference-types