Instead of opening open.spotify.com links in the browser they will always be opened in Spotify
Open Spotify link in client =========================== This is a small simple extension that tries to open any open.spotify.com or play.spotify.com url in the Spotify desktop client and then close the newly opened browser window. The way the extension works is: 1. If the URL visited is open.spotify.com or play.spotify.com then 2. If the URL contains `/embed/` then don't do anything 3. Remove the FQDN part and the first slash and 4. Replace those with spotify: and 5. Replace the remaining slashes (/) with colons (:) 6. Redirect to that URL 7. Close the tab that was opening the URL if it was a newly opened tab Available in the [Google Chrome web store][store-url] # Changes ## 1.3 * Don't touch embedded links, so that websites that embed a playlist can do so without having Spotify trying to open the link automatically. Thanks [@shape55] for reporting the issue. [@shape55]: https://github.com/shape55 ## 1.2 * Opens links to user's playlists properly. Thanks for the bug report Robin H. [store-url]: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/open-in-spotify-client/okkdbmdhpgmajopdpmflkldkemcldnjd
- (2020-03-25) Curtis Powell: great app
- (2020-02-18) There's Always Another Way: does what it says it does, thanks!
- (2019-11-23) lollilol: It doesnt work for me, because i have to click "open in spotify" in the popup, but it disappears before i can do that. I dont know if the extension author can change that, is there maybe a fix? (Typing spotify: in the adressbar and clicking on "Open Spotify" doesnt work for me, i will get asked that again when i want to open another link)
- (2019-10-11) Konstantin Hinrichs: recently Chrome has a popup for the user to accept forwardings to another app on the computer. The extension closes the page before we can accept this for all future links.
- (2018-11-30) Ross Topol: Great extension but you have to do a little hack to get it work on MacOS. If the extension appears to do nothing for you, type spotify: in the browser and hit Enter. Tick the box to allow Chrome to always open Spotify without asking. Finally, click Open Spotify to confirm. Should work after you do that.
- (2018-09-03) Berg Lloyd-Haig: Didn't work for me in Linux, need to click a confirmation box but can't because the newtab disappears before hand.
- (2018-07-20) Sam Friedman: Works, but doesn't close the tab afterwards.
- (2018-02-28) Simone Olivieri: Still working in 2018 as of now
- (2017-11-30) Chris Liu: This was a good app, but is rendered obsolete with the Spotify client's own hooks.
- (2017-09-14) Carina Govender: This was S**T it just takes you to the place that you added it
- (2017-05-29) default user: geez, thanks!
- (2017-03-05) Neil Angelo: It does not work.
- (2016-12-21) Hyen Tech: HOLY **** IT ACTUALLY WORKS
- (2016-12-05) Doesn't work (on Mac)
- (2015-12-09) Dominic Peters: Works for me. Wish it could also bring the desktop client to the foreground after opening the link.
- (2015-12-06) Andre Felippa: Not working... new tab disappears too fast
- (2015-11-18) Nicolas B.: This addon works perfectly. Great job! :)
- (2015-09-04) Joacim Svensson: Doesn't work
- (2014-07-11) Eric Hobbs: This is a great solution to a problem that shouldn't exist, Spotify should behave like this by default if you aren't logged into the web player.
- (2019-11-20, v:1.3) Michael Cibula: Chrome not offering check box to always open in Spotify
When I type spotify: in the URL, it asks me if I want to open in Spotify, but I don't see an option to check the box and repeat that behavior each time. I believe this is necessary in order for the plug in to operate properly. What happens now is I click on a link and it takes me to chrome, I see the open in spotify window flash for a brief moment and then disappear.
- (2018-08-03, v:1.3) Not working via Slack.app on OSX
Chrome 68; Spotify 188.8.131.527; Slack.app 3.2.0. Note Slack.app is an electron app. Clicking an http link via Slack opens a tab in Chrome, which then disappears with nothing happening. This extension is active, and Spotify is running. Been happening for ~2wks
- (2018-05-24, v:1.2) Victor De Los Santos Bernad: Not working when opening a link from Whatsapp
Hi, I tried to open a spotify playlist link from desktop whatsapp (on OSX) and it opens and closes a new tab on chrome but does not do anything on Spotify Desktop
- (2018-03-02, v:1.2) Michael Choi: Feature to disable extension on certain sites
Hi, this is a great extension. However, I would like to disable it on certain websites/domains. I hope this is a feature this is added in the future.
- (2017-09-14, v:1.2) Popup asking to open in spotify closes immediatly
Hello, When I try clicking on a open.spotify.com link, it shows a popup asking if I want to open it in desktop client but the popup closes in like 200ms. No way to prevent the auto-close (I tried to disable other extensions). Help please
- (2016-04-14, v:1.2) Keith Lohnes: Doesn't work on *nix systems
Running Linux mint, and it just opens a new spotify with no track loaded. Great plugin though, I use it on my other systems.
- (2015-10-09, v:1.2) Steve Private: Opening Client but, says link not found
I'm running version 0.9.15.27, within Windows 7 / 64x. The client opens up but I got an error link not found.
- (2015-03-29, v:1.1) users playlists
hi, thanks for a great plugin. i really hate the web player. your plugin works great for links to songs/albums/artists but it does not work when a person is linking a playlist. it would be great if you could look into this. for example the following url opens spotify and says "mmm this user profile failed to load". if i'm given the spotify-uri it works. https://open.spotify.com/user/nikade/playlist/4wnnie2J2mZ0Mrm8rNs8iZ spotify:user:nikade:playlist:4wnnie2J2mZ0Mrm8rNs8iZ thanks!