Spread Speed Reading Extension
Spread is a Speed Reading Helper for Google chrome. - Highligt the text you'd like to read faster - Right click and choose "speed read selection" from the context menu *Important* ----------- If you get "Invalid manifest file" error, please simply restart your browser, then install the extension. Click on the Help(?) button to get information about hotkeys. If you'd like to contribute or fix things please have a look at http://github.com/altunyurt/spread/ . Update (19/10/2012): ---------------------------------------- - Fixed many of the problems with slider and reader itself - Added a neat icon set from http://www.visualpharm.com/ - Added color picker to set foreground and background colors
- (2020-11-01) J F: Tenes que seleccionar texto y pulsar el icono speed y sale Speed read seleccion y sale todo.Es perfecto y funciona muy bien. Gracias
- (2018-04-02) Daniel Camilo Montoya Sánchez: No funciona
- (2017-05-19) J D: Pros: It does work, shows text in chunks. Cons: 1. options are confusing and don't work, 2. speed stuck at 1440cpm (288wpm),
- (2016-07-20) Adam Segal: Crap options, horrible ui. Much better options available
- (2014-01-21) Jason Haines: Painful to configure and difficult to use. There are much better speed reading options out there.
- (2013-11-13) setting is bugged
- (2013-07-09) it didn't even come up on my laptop. so i can't delete it.
- (2013-05-15) Jean Davoust: Happy to find a good extension to hep me reading fast in Chrome.
- (2013-05-06) David Metcalfe: Configuration options are terrible, and the UI is poorly considered. Has enormous potential, but really needs some better design cues for configuration and other areas (example: Why are the default values absent in the config area? How am I to know what to input without a base reference number?).
- (2012-12-20) Mark Kamoski: Needs wpm setting in order to be useful.
- (2012-10-23) Shawn D'souza: Add feature to adjust the words per minute played
- (2012-10-20) Cody Williams: Extremely useful self-improvement tool.
- (2012-10-20) Pier L.: Thank you for the new update, the bar is very useful when reading long articles and the ability to pause is gold. Sometimes i had to use the Spreeder on the side for that reason. Once i found out what keys to use to change the settings i quickly stopped missing the old controls.
- (2012-10-02) ZL SV: Needs to allow users the setting of by stopping at periods.
- (2012-09-24) Dragos Minea: Great Extension! Suggestions: - Add a button for 'pause' - Add a button for 'Go to previous sentence' - Add a setting for 'slow down at end of sentences and commas" - Add a setting for 'slow down at numbers/dates or texts that are not in the dictionary'. This will provide the reader a bit more time to retain details in order to improve comprehension of the text. - Add "Read next paragraph" button if you want to keep going after you have finished the selected text. - Add 'Emphasize titles' button. It would BOLD, CAPITALIZE and pause titles of paragraphs. Use a Wikipedia article as an example. It will let the user know that they're moving on to a different topic. It will make up for the lack of visual orientation that we take for granted when we look at an entire piece of organized text. Thanks. I hope you consider the suggestions to improve what I consider to be a great start of a project.
- (2012-09-21) Allard Haarman: Might be good, but didn't do work at first in my browser. Select-->right click --> speed read selection. Nothing. After a reboot it worked but would prefer learning speedreading for normally formatted text, not just words. What is the use of this for offline reading?
- (2012-09-12) Chris Dolan: You can buy that last star for the low low price of a hotkey trigger. I use a touchpad, which makes contextual menus that much more frictional. I will find a way to invent a 6th star if you provide a modal way to select blocks and start the stream using only keystrokes (see Vimium for inspiration!)
- (2012-06-07) Taras Kornichuk: better than others
- (2012-05-24) Krzysztof Kula: Options page doesn't work.
- (2012-05-24) Jake Orlowitz: Great job. My major criticism is that I can stop the text reader but cannot start it again, only RESTART from the very beginning. A simple play/pause button in addition to a restart button seems to be needed. Otherwise, nice work!
- (2012-02-22) Pawel Nowak: Is it working at all? I select text, press "speed read selection" and then ... nothing happens.
- (2012-02-15) Ben O'Brien: Doesn't have the option to spreed read only one word at a time.
- (2012-01-29) Wei Wu: please add hotkey
- (2017-10-09, v:0.1.5.4) Esfandiar Bandari: make ti smart...
choosing the number of words is silly. Let the users choose the number of letters, or choose the number of words and multiply by the average size of the words (in general or on the page) . Then show the number of words that is equal to the number of letters plus or minus Two or Three. When people read the span of their eyes is constant and they pick up the correct number of words that falls into that span . You can easily simulate that. Best, E
- (2017-03-16, v:0.1.5.4) Manuel López Osornio: need this for opera
Need this for opera!!!
- (2015-03-02, v:0.1.5.4) Lawrence Counts: speed reading my kindle ebooks
i would like to speed read my kindle book that i have purchased. how do i do this?