Speed reading extension to increase your reading speed (beta).
Increase your reading speed and prevent reading regressions by using this app to guide your reading and keep a consistent pace. Reading regressions are when the same text is re-read by the reader to comprehend the text and are common when reading but are preventable by guiding your reading. Guided reading can increase reading speeds by up to 20 percent initially. With books a finger can be used to guide reading. With reading large amounts of text online, it is more difficult to use your finger to guide the text and so this extension is useful in helping guide your reading and measure your reading speed. On-screen graphs indicate to you how many words you are reading and how long it is taking as well as showing the number of words per minute read over time. Two modes are available for reading - Arrow Image Guiding and Text Highlighting. Various options allow pauses after each line, stopping after a set time, and scrolling. An on-screen display gives the current reading time, word count and words per minute. Highlight your text and right-click and select to read or start reading using a keyboard shortcut key combination. Press space to pause. ---------- Version 1.0.2 - Added option to remove highlight of reading text - Added ability to set percentage of screen that text is scrolled at (eg. 10% is near top of screen, 90% is near bottom of screen, default is 50% at middle) Version 1.0.3 - Fixed issue with reading speed changing randomly due to anchors in the text Version 1.0.4 - Fixed another issue with anchors - Fixed display issue with popup showing NaN for WPM of 0 Version 1.0.6 - Fixed Popup size Version 1.0.9 - Fixed various issues with text selection - Added Smiley and Nyan guided reading awesomeness Version 1.0.10 - Fixed z-index issue for guide arrows Version 1.0.11 - Fixed text box size in options Version 1.0.12 - Added grey-out background for more focused reading
- (2018-01-26) Doesn't work for me. Make nothing after selecting text.
- (2015-06-03) Julián Tavela: Es el único lector que utiliza el formato de la página y solo guía la lectura. Pero No sé por qué aveces no me funciona Ctrl+alt+z y la opción del menú contextual me da un error desconfigurando el orden del texto en la página de forma terrible.
- (2014-10-09) Patroklos Saloukas: teleio
- (2014-02-24) AlBara Khalifa: Great work, but why can't I choose number of words to be highlighted? It would be better to have it, I think.
- (2013-06-03) Josh Johnson: Best speed reading extension I've seen. I would love to be able to turn off the background highlighting, though. Also, when autoscroll is enabled, it would be nice to have it keep the current line at the middle of the screen.
- (2013-05-24) Rachel B: Excellent - very useful tool!
- (2018-09-17, v:1.0.12) Ariel Flesler: A few suggested features
Hi, It'd be great to pick number of words to pick a time, or even better a number of characters and so shorter words are read together. Of course maintaining WPM. Another great feature would be what they suggest about skipping the first and last word of each line (as far as eye movement goes). So maybe allow for a number of words to be skipped from each side, as far as the marker goes, not sure about actual WPM. Being able to just read all the page (skipping sidelines) would be great, instead of having to select. Finally, while it's really a whole different thng, what might even solve the problem above is to use some standard code to put the page into a "readibility mode" with all the clutter removed. Cheers
- (2017-12-18, v:1.0.12) Philipp Ringli: Doesn't work at all
If I select text on a website right-click and select "read selected text" nothing happens. Doh.
- (2013-06-11, v:1.0.2) Layne Cornell: Love it, but...
First of all, I love the Smiley Reader and have been using it non stop for the past week. The first two days it worked with no flaws, but recently it started to slow down to almost zero wpm then skip the line then speed back up and then the speed is not consistent at all. It also began reading some lines only halfway and other lines it would read WAY beyond the line. I figured it was just a glitch here and there but it has persisted. I use the arrow function and not the highlighted text. I realize this is in beta so I figure the feedback would be valuable to you. I have also removed the extension then re-added it again and it started working properly for a few articles, then the problem returned. Thank you.