Speed reading made easy, train yourself to read 1800+ words per minute. Rapid serial visual presentation (RSVP) at its best!
Sprint Reader is an easy to use speed reading extension. Simply select text on a webpage, right-click and select 'Sprint read selected text' from the menu. This will launch the reader window, the selected text is displayed word-by-word in a fixed focal position. The duration of each slide is calculated based upon a word-per-minute (WPM) setting. This method of reading is known as “Rapid Serial Visual Presentation” or RSVP for short. Studies have shown the habit of internally “sounding out” (sub-vocalising) words is a limiting factor which prevents faster reading speeds from being obtained. RSVP eliminates the “sounding out” of words as individual words are not displayed long enough for sub-vocalisation to occur. RSVP proves that humans are capable of absorbing information at speeds much faster than standard reading rates with the same level of comprehension. Please show us your support and spread the word. Sprint Reader is under constant development and we're always looking to improve. Key features of Sprint Reader: - Multiple colour schemes - Optimal letter highlighting - Automatic language detection - Adjustable font and font size. - Adjustable word-per-minute (WPM) - Intelligent hyphenation of words - Focal guides to improve attention - Adjustable words-per-slide (chunk size) - Provision for different display algorithms - Optimal word positioning to improve comprehension - Optional grammar delays: 1. Comma 2. Period 3. Paragraph - Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SprintReader - Follow us on Google+ ---- CONTRIBUTE ---- Sprint Reader is an open source project which means you can contribute, fix bugs and add functionality. Become a developer for Sprint Reader: https://github.com/anthonynosek/sprint-reader-chrome ---- UPDATE LOG ---- For version release information please refer to the update page displayed by Sprint Reader after an update has been downloaded. Sprint Reader is under constant development so get in touch with us if you'd like new features added! Stay tuned for more exciting features! NOTE: Sprint Reader uses Google Analytics code to collect usage data. This data is used by us to improve Sprint Reader and is entirely anonymous. The analytics code does not have visibility to anything outside of Sprint Reader. To protect your privacy, the content of your text selections are never transmitted. Copyright All rights reserved.
- (2021-05-06) Nurin Izzah: so far very helpful for my final year project.. the problem i got is cannot paste the text from any other sources except files or text that is opened in google.. but overall, this is a good apps 👍
- (2021-03-04) Facally Ajibola: Thank you so much for an implementation of this type of reader that doesn't need to send information across the web. Finally, I can speed-read documents that can't go across the web and can use the service when my Internet connection is down.
- (2021-01-24) Chanz Holopainen: This only work with English letters. Showing weird buggy characters when using it on unicode characters. Sample: https://elakiri.com/threads/carac.1960356/
- (2020-10-24) Adilson Galvão: Muito boa. A melhor extensão desse tipo de longe!!!!
- (2020-07-22) Kuldeep Bharti: great for english words ,doesn't work for hindi words.some glitch is there.
- (2020-04-09) Brian Bishop: I've recently run into a problem after using SprintReader for years... LOVE the extension however, the shortcuts to activate it are no longer working even though Method 2 is enabled in Advanced Settings and the other should always be enabled. Is anyone else experiencing this or know how to fix it? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension already.
- (2020-04-07) Josh P: LOVE THIS
- (2020-03-07) Enrique Zetina: I love this extension, it makes more productive, now I can focus and it has lot of option for personalisation.
- (2020-02-16) santiago duque: Excelente herramienta, permite una configuración óptima.
- (2019-12-21) emil agazade: excelent very useful really makes easy readint without tired
- (2019-11-27) Ki ki: I just love it. Thankful for this extension.
- (2019-10-02) Ben Bishop: Just wanted to thank you for making Sprint Reader. I just started grad school and the amount of reading assigned is intense. Your Chrome extension makes it easier and faster to get through the readings. Can you make an extension to write my papers too?
- (2019-08-10) Sami Cox: Needs more settings like ability to change the background colour, ability to show punctuation and the ability to show the test in the sentence as your speed reading in the same way as when paused (yes you can look at 2 things at once, especially when you're looking for a specific position).
- (2019-02-26) Bogdan Selenginskiy: Пока чуть ли не единственная стабильно работающая прога по Spritz, так как официальное расширение и Squirt могут либо слишком долго обрабатывать страницу, либо не считывать её вообще, тут на крайняк можно скопировать и вставить текст
- (2018-10-27) Spencer Flegel: Thank you, it's perfect
- (2018-09-16) Indrek Pärna: Exactly what i was looking for. Thanks to the developers!
- (2018-08-01) Explore Na: Thanks for making it Open source!
- (2018-07-24) Matt Curless: Unsure if previous releases fixed mentioned bugs, but I've yet to experience issues with this extension. It recognises sentence structure, new paragraphs, and additional punctuation including bullets and semicolons very well. User options are simple and very customisable. Integration into the browser is great. I have not attempted use with mathematical equations though, only standard English text including quotations.
- (2018-05-30) Mauricio Revelo: Me parece una aplicación muy interesante la estoy utilizando sobre todo para corregir, defectos en la lectura
- (2018-04-12) Sergio Vicari: This is a really helpful extension. Very good. Thank you
- (2018-04-07) 김성준: The interface is great. However, this program needs any shortcut for copying non-Chrome texts.
- (2018-02-28) Rafael Augger: Caramba! Como não conheci algo do tipo antes? A leitura de diversos artigos se tornou rápida e dinâmica. Meu tempo de absorção triplicou e o que fora gasto em relação ao tempo permaneceu o mesmo. Muito obrigado!
- (2018-02-28) Max Leadley-Brown: An excellent, small and unobtrusive interface that just works! You highlight the text on the webpage and right click to open a separate speed reading window, and press play or space to get it going. Z&X increase and decrease the speed smoothly, and you can tune it up in all sorts of ways. There are a couple of very minor issues, but if you want a flavour of an article, this is the work. You can also copy and paste text to the same reading window to read non-chrome text, which is also very useful (pdfs, etc)
- (2018-01-06) Eliu Moraes: I love this app! You should add another function: I want to have a possibility to personalize some words by the size or special characters. Actually I'm reading at 600wpm, but if a big word appers I have some difficulties. You can try reading a novel on the wuxiaworld web site, look at this sentence: "In this amazing battle, the once-famous Stone-Dragon(...). When the "once-famous" phrase surges I can't read because it is too fast.
- (2017-11-12) Zoë Patrick: It's a cool extension in concept, but I had some difficulties with it. Besides the other glitchy things people have criticized, It also seemed like words were all being flashed at the same speed, no matter how long/complicated the particular word was. When reading articles, I'd find myself pausing every paragraph or so to reread an extra long/complicated word, or an unfamiliar last name, so it kind of made the experience pretty clunky.
- (2017-10-12) A.M. Anderson: very helpful tool, love it - needs some glitch fixing like reading quotes, but otherwise excellent
- (2017-10-04) Andrew Malilay White: It mostly does the job but there are some oversights. When sentences end with a period inside quotation marks, it doesn't recognize this as the end of a sentence and it drives straight through them. This is a problem because I mostly use this to read news stories with a lot of direct quotation.
- (2017-08-17) Bruno Lisita: Esse é o mais completo. gostaria de uma versao com as mesmas funcionalidades para android...uma pena que só tem o Speedread.
- (2017-07-09) Wilfred I Aka Jr.: Not bad, could do better
- (2017-05-08) Hörmet Yiltiz: Cannot parse equations like x=1 correctly. Not intuitive to use. Using Reedy instead.
- (2017-04-23) Сергей Чуба: кайф
- (2017-04-20) Luana Santos de Oliveira: Good.
- (2017-03-22) Elio Jr: Ótima ferramenta para pesquisas, o processo de leitura aumenta drasticamente o que nos permite acessar mais informações em um tempo menor.
- (2017-03-06) JOSE ANTONIO BOLAÑOS: practico y útil.
- (2017-02-06) moi lois: The reading is great. But it does not break sentances, puntuation(only some time) and paragraph. The last letter of the paragraph is imediatly follow by the first letter of the next one without period. it is confussing. I have to look for something that reconises paragraph and sentances!
- (2017-02-02) Martin Coourage: Perfect works better than I imagined
- (2021-07-07, v:2.5) Maxim T: Double spaces
Hello. Here is a little bug: Seems to HTML-code converted to 2 spaces and this results to wrong text alignment. Looks very ugly on shorts words of 1-2 chars. It would be nice to trim any spaces around the word.
- (2020-10-04, v:2.5) Jason Tee: Changing Speed (Z or X) doesn't seem to work
Hi The changing speed function for Z or X button doesn't seem to change the actual speed. The WPM on the top right does change but the words come at the same pace. I can record a video for you to show what I mean. Thanks for the app - Jason
- (2020-05-15, v:2.5) Ron Klopfer: Basic documentation
I'm looking for a basic explanation of a few of the more cryptic features, such as "word frequency" and "word length" algorithms and "word flicker percentage. I've searched your facebook page and this Chrome extension site. Also, the "method 2" shortcut ("to enable: advanced options", "Press CONTROL+ALT (auto-select mode)") doesn't make sense on a Mac (no Alt key) and isn't clear anyway (what is "auto select mode"). Would love a faster way to launch the reader and this looks like it but I can't get it to work.
- (2019-10-20, v:2.5) Jose Rubens dos Santos: Open the Sprint Reader
Sprint Reader has been installed, but I can't open it. can you help me?
- (2019-06-11, v:2.5) Tod Sandberg: 2 words are being combined into one word in the reading window (with example site)
Thank you for building this amazing extension! Here is the issue: When reading web pages. I have seen an issue where the last word of a sentence is joined with the next paragraph. Here is an ILLUSTRATION: in the above text, when it gets to the word "paragraph" it would show "paragraph.Here" It is joining up 2 words even though it's a new sentence and a new paragraph. Here is an EXAMPLE of where this happens. go here: http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2018/10/3/problem-1-too-much-work.html search for "achieve the maximum possible" When you use Sprint Reader for this paragraph and the one that follows you will see "possible.I" in the reading window. If I can, I will attach a screenshot.
- (2019-06-05, v:2.5) Cassy Edgerton: em dash suggestion
Sprint Reader is my favorite RSVP extension. It helps me maintain focus while reading my textbooks. However, the editor of my biology text book is a huge fan of em dashes—the long line between clauses. Currently in this extension, the two words flanking the em dash appear together, so for example in the sentence, "It is common for consumers—such as robins—to feed at multiple trophic levels," the em dashes would appear as [consumers—such] and [robins—to]. This is hard to read, especially when long technical words are involved, and disrupts concentration. I suggest that the words appear separately, for example [consumers—] [such] and [robins—] [to].
- (2017-12-07, v:2.5) Jan Behrens: Feature: micro-pause after complex words
An important feature (for top-dog apps) is missing, the "Toggle micro-pause"-feature! Just give us a simple check-box @settings (with slider/millisecs)to set/activate a little "micro-pause" (as Spreed calls it) after 'complex', 'rare' or 'mostly-unknown/non-used' words! Hopefully, this will give users the time they need to get the meaning of longer/unknown paragraphs - by using these extensions we "save" time reading - the time we "miss" or normaly "use" for 'thinking' about these long/unknown paragraphs. The perfection of this feaature would be to give an instant feedback by the user, if the micro-pause was too long/too short for these type of article - but this would presuppose some kind of 'categorization' of complex words, mostly nouns, i.e. medical terms o.e. Big Data sends greetings...technically it's relative"simple" to solve, but "perfection takes time" :) P.S.: Here's a small excerpt of the described feature from the extension "Spreed", I just ... tried to describe a "sense" in Spreed's simple & not very customizable/intelligent, but wonderful(?) feature, haha. ----- Spreed by default adds a "micro-pause" after words, longer words have longer "micro-pauses", to simulate the pausing that our eyes do naturally. ----- Have a wonderful & meaningful life, unknown coder! /wave
- (2017-10-24, v:2.5) Unicode problem
http://www.elakiri.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1821972 screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/jMQwNFG.jpg Please fix this bug. im using Yandex browser
- (2017-10-04, v:2.5) Michelle Krabill: disabled
Says "This item has been disabled in Chrome." It won't let me enable it. I am on a mac.
- (2017-08-23, v:2.4) Henrik Nordahl: listen to a webpage
Hi! I've used Sprint on my Iphone where it can read the text of a webpage out loud but I can't seem to figure out how to make it do it on my laptop (Chrome version). Can you please help me?
- (2017-08-17, v:2.4) Bruno Lisita: sugestion
do it for android please.
- (2017-01-28, v:2.4) Norma I: issues reading text books
I'm trying to use this to read a rented online textbook from Chegg and I can't get it to work. Does this app work in this manner?
- (2016-11-10, v:2.3) Claudio Zadorosny: Tag &⋅;nbsp
Hello. When using optimal positioning + static focal, beetween one paragraph and the next (when there is a blank line beetween them), it is added " &⋅;nbsp" which shows in the reader during the process of reading using the extension.
- (2016-11-04, v:2.3) google books
Add support for google books into the chrome browser plugin