Allow user to edit web-page textareas with Emacs (and other editors).
Edit with Emacs is an extension for Google's Chrome(ium) browser family that allows you to edit text areas on your browser in a more full featured editor. It does this in conjunction with an "Edit Server" which services requests by the browser. This is because extensions cannot spawn new processes as a security measure. The extension packages native elisp version that can be run inside GNU Emacs itself, just follow the instructions from the options page of the extension. It has been known to work with GNU Emacs and Aquamacs (MacOS); it is presently not compatible with XEmacs. Other example edit servers can be found at the project homepage. There is no reason why other server scripts could not spawn other editors and currently a number of servers support the simple URL based protocol. This extension is licensed under the GPL v3 and development versions can be found at: http://github.com/stsquad/emacs_chrome v1.16 Extension * allow disabling of switch to settings behaviour * whitelist penguin.linux.test for edit server (ChromeOS/Crostini) * fix context menu on newer Chromes (#158) * honour edit_server_host instead of hard-coding 127.0.0.1 * use the Chrome extension UI to set keyboard shortcuts. * fix handling of spellcheck=false nodes for Gmail (#171, #162) edit-server.el * use make-frame (see updated docs for edit-server-new-frame-alist)
- (2020-09-13) Jeff Bauer: If you are an emacs user, this extension is essential.
- (2018-11-05) Peter Stephenson: Exactly what I needed: huge time saver, thank you.
- (2018-02-16) Eyal Erez: I wish there was a way to control the font size that gets injected into the text area in gmail. It comes our really small.
- (2017-09-22) David Jung: Redmine 게시물 편집할때 이득 많이 봤습니다 ^^ Google Docs에서도 연동 가능하면 좋을 것 같은데 안되네요 ㅜㅜ
- (2017-02-03) Andrea Russo: Lovely!!!
- (2016-03-18) Andrei Neculau: So simple, so needed!
- (2015-12-30) Andrey Titov: Extension can't connect to editor; Test doesn't pass, while curl can connect to 127.0.0.1:9292 Tried on clear chrome "Person", without extensions – still won't work OS X el Capitan, latest Chrome BTW, Advanced REST client couldn't connect to 127.0.0.1:9292 either; Nor to localhost Rails server – although it would open it if entered in address line
- (2015-09-03) Bibek Gautam: configuring it was painful in my case.
- (2015-07-07) Max: funktioniert ausgezeichnet und ist sehr hilfreich!
- (2015-06-03) Tongjie Chen: Very good and work with emacsclient even in cygwin Windows.
- (2015-05-08) Ikhoon Eom: 아주 맘에 들어어요~ 좋아요!!
- (2015-04-09) Tianxiang Xiong: Very useful extension for editing large amounts of text.
- (2014-09-16) Peter Tillemans: This is such a help when entering tickets or on a CMS to get stuff done. Great work.
- (2014-08-02) Michael Powe: Button installed but not functional. Don't want to troubleshoot it. God's Own Editor(tm) deserves a better extension.
- (2014-06-29) Weiliang Zeng: Absolutely the must have extension in Chrome for Emacser.
- (2014-05-29) This is fantastic - great work!
- (2014-02-06) Tom Chandler: Finally! Not as handy as Firemacs is in Firefox, but still a must for those of us using the Emacs keybindings.
- (2013-12-20) Ha Truong: It's so great that I can write on Chrome with my favorite editor. Good job!
- (2013-11-11) Victor Brunko: Excellent work! It's amazing. I was waiting for this app so long! I Want to donate!
- (2013-07-08) Andres Gazso: If your an Emacs and Chrome user, this extension is essential. I must admit that the instructions to make it work have been somehow obscure, but then again, if you're an Emacs user you should be able to figure them out. The main points you must keep in mind are: 0. Add the proper lines to your .emacs file; 1. Make sure that your edit-server.el is on your search path; 2. You must start the server (as a deamon) or Emacs itself before being able to use it within Chrome.
- (2013-06-13) Wayne Walker: I install this every where I use a browser. I only use 4 add-ons, this is the first one I load every time.
- (2013-06-04) Jesse Glick: Sounded promising, but when I loaded the bundled Emacs extension and tried running this on a textarea, Emacs (Ubuntu 13.04) just reported an error: error in process filter: apply: Not enough arguments for format string Did not spend time debugging it, maybe I will if I find a compelling need for this (e.g. big wiki pages).
- (2013-03-27) Anmar Oueja: Much improved. Thanks Alex.
- (2013-03-11) Jay Dixit: This extension rocks my world. Is there any way to get it to work with Gmail in a Rich Formatting window? (I use Markdown Here to apply rich formatting after I've entered text, and such a feature would prevent me from having to switch back and forth between Plain Text and Rich Formatting.)
- (2012-11-11) Saurabh Kumar: Great extension. But it crashes the emacs daemon quite often.
- (2020-10-24, v:1.15) Gerald Gillespie: edit server daemon mode inconvenient
EwE=Edit with Emacs When using an edit server I have to launch and persist an emacsclient for EwE. Can EwE launch an emacsclient? perhaps via the hooks?
- (2019-09-24, v:1.15) Bill Callahan: Not working for me
This isn't working for me. I'm not sure why. Is it up to date? I'm running the latest Chromebook OS.
- (2019-06-18, v:1.15) Justin Hale: Where is the documentation?
I see from the comments that C-x C-s closes and accepts the edit. Where is that documentation? I have looked using C-h m and I cannot find that.
- (2019-04-26, v:1.15) Sam Neaves: Code Mirror
It would be great if this could work with code mirror: https://codemirror.net/doc/manual.html for example https://swish.swi-prolog.org/
- (2019-04-04, v:1.15) Artur Malabarba: Is there anyway for this to work with GMail?
Clicking the button (or hitting alt+return) when composing an email in GMail doesn't do anything for me. Maybe this was some recent update to the Gmail interface. Is there a way to get it to work?
- (2018-08-06, v:1.15) Victor Tsaran: Is the article on emacs-wiki still valid?
I am not sure if the article on Emacswiki, https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Edit_with_Emacs, still valid. In other words, do we still need to download the extra extension mentioned there?
- (2018-06-08, v:1.15) Kai Tan: Can "C-x C-s" not destroy the buffer
The extension works nicely with one drawback compared to the "Its All Text" plugin on firefox. As a long-time emacs user, I have the tendency of doing "C-x C-s" every now and then, but with this extension it would always kill the buffer and transfer the data back to the text field. This seems a bit disruptive to how I'd normally use emacs. It would be great that: 1. "C-c C-s" only saves but not kill the buffer. 2. I understand that you might not want to use "C-c C-x" as the trigger to kill the buffer as that would exit the emacs daemon server also. 3. Maybe you can introduce another shortcut to kill the buffer
- (2018-04-04, v:1.15) Arne Döring: does not work
i tried this plugin. Went on github and wanted to edit the readme in the browser. Then in the edit field I tried to edit with this plugin, but it just doesn't work. At all.
- (2018-01-22, v:1.15) Grant Edwards: please, please disable notification
Recently, EwE has started popping up a notification about lack of an emacs daemon that, when closed, opens a new tab with EwE settings. This is excruciatingly annoying. Please, please provide a way to disable this (or at least disable new opening of a new tab when the notification is closed). If I want a new tab, I'll open one myself.
- (2017-04-02, v:1.14) LD James: Where to place the `edit-server.el` (Error: is edit server running?)
Can someone advise me how to remove this error: Error: is edit server running? I see another reference to this error (Posted two years ago), but I don't see a resolution. A Google search of the error takes me to the `edit-server-el` link on https://github.com. But I can't find the instructions for actually using it. Thanks in advance for any input on this. -- L. James -- L. D. James [email protected] www.apollo3.com/~ljames
- (2015-11-28, v:1.14) Ender Knight: directions
Please add directions. I click edit with emacs and it takes me to your web store page. Help???