Searches your family tree.
Hope Chest is fun and easy to use! You can... ★ Search a specific family line. ★ Search the descendants of an ancestor you share with a friend or family member. ★ Print the search results and share them. ★ Create a folder for each search. ★ Discover specific ordinances needed for male and/or female ancestors. ★ Search your ancestor’s descendants for: • Available ordinances • Records needing more information • Data problems • Record hints Hope Chest is an extension that helps users of the FamilySearch.org website. After installing the extension just go here to get started: https://familysearch.org/tree/ v11 now works with new Tree view! v11.0.1 Dependency search fix v11.0.2 Ancestor search fix v11.0.3 Gender search fix v11.0.4 Search count fix v11.0.5-7 Dependency & Ancestor search fix after Family Search changes TECH SUPPORT - [email protected] ------------------------------------------------------------ By installing and using Hope Chest you are agreeing to the following legal agreements: ------------------------------------------------------------ https://hopechestsoftware.com/pdf/HopeChestPrivacyPolicy.pdf https://hopechestsoftware.com/pdf/HopeChestTermsAndConditions.pdf https://hopechestsoftware.com/pdf/Software_License_Agreement.pdf ------------------------------------------------------------ Website Home Page: https://hopechestsoftware.com/Index.html ------------------------------------------------------------ What our users say about it: ------------------------------------------------------------ Hope Chest has been the greatest blessing for me. I have found thousands of names that needed additional work and it has keep my grandchildren very busy. Thank you for taking it over and keeping it running. - Ed Seegmiller I have been using Hope Chest for 10 yrs. My experience and others I have introduced it to have been exceptional. It is the best tool available to search ancestors and descendants. I have found it accurate, thorough, and easy to use. - ReNae Romney Very helpful for finding relatives. - CBS M Build a vast and detailed family tree through DNA Weekly with MyHeritage and AncestryDNA.
- (2023-08-20) Eric Adams: It doesn't work. DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY.
- (2023-05-06) Ruth Anderson: I enjoyed using Hope Chest until last week. I renewed for an another year, Had to upgrade from Plus to Pro because it did not give me the Plus option. It shows that I am enrolled at Pro level, but it will not search. I have sent several emails for support but have not had any response.
- (2022-11-12) John Gwynn: I have used Hope Chest successfully for many years until a few months ago. It has taken me six months of trials to determine that the problem is not with FamilySearch or my tree or 20 of my friends trees or my computer or my Internet providers service, etc.The problem is with Hope Chest Software. And, the problem is that Hope Chest Software no longer does a complete descendancy search. It simply stops after running for a while. I have tried it on dozens of my ancestors beginning at the 8th and 10th generations with same result. The search is usually less than 1/4th done and never even half. I started using Hope Chest when it was free and like other writers of reviews, I purchased the $10 version then the lifetime option and sincce, the annual $36 Pro version. Each time I upgraded I was promised a discount and each time my credit has been charged the full price. I have tried and tried to contact Hope Chest support without success. I wonder if anybody else is having these problems. My name is John Gwynn and I am a FamilySearch consultant.
- (2022-06-26) Kelvin Brewer: I have been a longtime user. I paid for the 'lifetime' family license many years ago. When they switched to subscription, they offered me a discount on the annual cost to keep the family license, which I accepted. I work for a software company so I understand the need to get annual reoccurring revenue to stay in business. This software has valuable features that I USED often. I have not had access to the full features since the switch. I have emailed, including forwarding the annual payment receipt from PayPal, but still support has not restored my access and they have not responded to my most recent email asking for a resolution. I would like to keep access to the pro features and am willing to keep paying the annual fee to have it, but it is not honest for them to charge me annually and not provide the services. Once this is resolved, I will be happy to improve my ratings as the solution is valuable to my family history research.
- (2022-04-24) Hunter Chapman: Back when this worked it was great. Now the developers are trying to nickel and dime me. Even the free version/features no longer work for me. Pretty disappointed because this used to be such a great tool.
- (2022-04-05) Junk Junky: I upgraded to pro years ago when it was 10 dollars for lifetime never had any problems till recently now when i click hopechest it asks for me to upgrade for 20 dollars .. what's the deal now all of a sudden my past upgrade isn't lifetime????
- (2021-02-17) christy corbett: It has never worked. Not once. No list ever appears in the Hope Chest
- (2021-01-19) Linda Kennedy: I use Hope Chest every day. Makes it easy to find ancestors and cousins. Hope Chest is an excellent tool for LDS members trying to do temple work! Wonderful and time saving. This extension has NEVER caused problems and only works on FamilySearch,org.
- (2021-01-19) Dee Ann Buys: I have used this chrome extension with ease. I purchased the family access so others can use it also. A great tool to help with family history work.
- (2020-04-05) Patricia Heaton: I used Hope Chest when it first came out and loved it. I got many people to start using it. I am so sad that Eric Vance isn't still in control. I can't even find a working email for Hope Chest to express my frustrations. [email protected]. this email does not work!! The new version of Hope Chest doesn't work either. The old one was great. I am so disappointed. I tried to label a line that I wanted to search which is very basic. That's what I use Hope Chest for. The window that came up said I couldn't "label" an ancestor to search unless I pay for an upgrade. Is that correct?
- (2020-03-10) Amberly: Downloaded this for a class I am taking where they recommend using this. However, it won't even run. I have contacted support with no response. Looks like it would be a great tool if it actually worked.
- (2020-02-25) Ed Seegmiller: Hope Chest has been the greatest blessing for me. I have found thousands of names that needed additional work and it has keep my grandchildren very busy. Thank you for taking it over and keeping it running. Ed Seegmiller
- (2020-01-27) ReNae Romney: I have been using Hope Chest for 10 yrs. My experience and others I have introduced it to have been exceptional. It is the best tool available to search ancestors and descendants. I have found it accurate, thorough, and easy to use.
- (2019-12-31) Reva Roland: I have used Hope Chest for about two years and I think basically it is a site with some value but I give it 2 stars because of the lack of communication between user and developer. Another big issue is the length of down time when the site bombs out and the total lack of communication when it does. The system went down on 15 Dec 2019 and today 31 Dec 2019 it is still down--over two weeks ago! Yes I know the Christmas season is a factor,but when users are paying for this site all the excuses in the world just doesn't cut it.
- (2019-11-16) Richard THORPE: I have been using the paid version for several years. I use Window 10. There have been times when FamilySearch makes changes which requires the HC tech to make updates. It may take him a few weeks but he always comes through. I have never had a problem in getting my emails answered. The last update made earlier this year (2019) was awesome. HC runs smooth without a problem. I'm 70 years old and currently serving a temple mission. I have no financial connection with HC nor do I personally know the people behind HC. HC has incredible features that no other apps can offer. * If you are having problems with HC you should try deleting. Go to Settings, click on Extensions, and click remove. The go back and downloaded again from the Google Chrome Store. Next check the size of RAM in your computer - you need a minimum of 8 gigs. I have 16. Check your internet speed - you need 20 or more. I have have helped hundreds of people with FamilySearch and Hope Chest. ** The email for HC support is [email protected]
- (2019-08-21) Johnny Slavens: How do i get support
- (2019-03-31) I went over to a friends house and she showed me this extension. It worked beautifully on her computer. I downloaded it today and it seems to not be working. When I want to search it comes up with the premium ad and when I press "just search" the pop-up closes and then nothing happens. I came on here to look at reviews and saw that most people had a hard time contacting the developer so I am not going to try. Just going to delete it, no use having it on my Chrome.
- (2019-02-25) Can not live without it!
- (2018-12-23) powerm: Great program!!!
- (2018-12-11) Jill Jenkins: Any problems we have had were always fixed within a few days and we have sent thousands of names to the temple with the help of the program. I have a new problem. When I click on the icon it will only show my husbands people with his name at the top. I have restarted, signed in and out, changed computers and nothing works. I cannot get my hope chest to show up, only my husbands.
- (2018-12-04) Michael Peila: I used the free version for years and three days ago paid $20 for Hope Chest Plus. The upgrade hasn't kicked in and I am pretty disappointed. Glad I didn't pay for the $99 version. Also, When I click on the developer's site it says it doesn't exist!?! What gives?
- (2018-11-04) Amber Hawkins: Have been using the free part of this for years,and its an awesome tool! However the new update (Nov 3, 2018) is wonky and isn't working properly. posting this hoping that it will be fixed.
- (2018-10-25) S Mad: I'm concerned that I am unable to reach the developers. I've payed them a number of times and the result has been restricted usage. Can we get an updated link to the developers website? Is there another way to contact them? Update: I used this on Oct 22 & 23 but when I tried today Oct 24 2018 I was told I had to pay $20. It states its a one time purchase. Does anyone else have this issue? UPDATE:Oct 25th it works today. Thanks to anyone that may have helped with this. I will raise this to 5 stars if there was support from the developer
- (2018-08-03) Ruth Walburger: can't get it to show up. Says it is added to Chrome, but can't get the icon
- (2018-07-08) Michael Heaton: works well
- (2018-06-30) Jeri M Lott: I paid $20 to use this program a year or so ago. After getting a new hard drive, I tried using the program again yesterday. It made changes on my computer that weren't good. No program is worth keeping that messes up my computer! I'll do my genealogy the old-fashioned way. Very disappointed in this program!
- (2018-06-27) karl blake: Great, Quick Search Toll to take names to Temple for ordinance work! Thanks!
- (2018-06-07) Ashley Cropper: I paid for the program but can't get the extension on my task bar. It won't work. I uninstalled it, reinstalled it, signed out of family search and back into it, restarted my computer, pretty much everything I could think of to get it to work. I don't know what to do. I feel like I just wasted $20
- (2018-04-20) K.C. Grant: I keep having problems that need to be fixed. Now my extension deleted itself and I can't even pull up the tree on Family Search! It won't search, or at least it will say it is but after an hour of searching, no results. It seems like Family Search needs to make its own search app that it can keep in sync with
- (2018-03-14) Joanne Tyson: I am having the same problem with the program running. I have reported it to Eric. He is working on it. Hopefully to be fixed in a few days. Don't give up, this is the best program ever!!!
- (2018-03-11) RN4AromaHealth-Betsy Peterson, RN,BSN: I tried repeatedly to load and use the app. It didn't do anything. Help! I really want it to work!
- (2018-03-07) Jacqui Maxfield: Not working. Worked great for months. I got back on today and the search ancestors and search descendants does not work. I can manipulate the settings but I can't use it for any kind of searches. I have deleted and reinstalled and restarted my computer and still nothing. I have the paid version. Very frustrating
- (2018-03-06) Drew Larkin: Have used hope chest for a long time and love it, bu got on it today and the search ancestors and decedents buttons stopped working. Would really love some help to fix it so i can get back to using it.
- (2018-02-26) CBS M: Very helpful for finding relatives.
- (2018-02-15) Aaron Vanduren - DOC: Good program
- (2018-02-11) What a great way to find names that are buried under layers of cousins!
- (2018-01-04) Larry Rich: I have found over 1000 relatives due to Hopechest. Thanks Eric for this awesome app!
- (2017-12-23) Keith Leonard: can't get it to load
- (2017-12-10) Richard Pettit: great tool for genealogy!
- (2017-11-18) shyrel petersen: It used to work, but doesn't any more.
- (2014-04-24, v:5.0.2) Shanna S Jones: Please remove my last post
I assumed it was a private submission.
- (2014-04-24, v:5.0.2) Shanna S Jones: Not loading today
I logged in this morning and saw your new post about checking for duplicates, researching, etc. which I liked and I do. Don't let Cathy Anderegg get you down, she is very negative always. I love your app and find that it is useful getting people to find a place where they can learn to do merging and research, so keep up the good work. I had written an article describing Hope Chest and received a question about if it worked when signing in to help someone else. That is when the extension disappeared, once it populated to help the other person. I quit helping, then the app still wasn't there. If I look it says it is Added to Chrome, however it doesn't show the hope chest, the errors or anything. I reset my computer but still nothing. I also went into Google Tools and disabled and then enabled but no change. Have you had that occur before? It may be related to the update you made or the fact that FamilySearch released an update yesterday as well. I am a FamilySearch Support Missionary and can help with beta testing or feedback it you like. Thanks! Shanna [email protected]
- (2014-04-23, v:4.2.3) Bruce Bolingbroke: Shared machine in Family History Center
When you run the extension on a shared machine, it will keep the entries in the hope chest no matter who logs in. It would be great if this extension would recognize when a different patron logs into FamilySearch and clears the hope chest.
- (2014-04-23, v:4.2.3) Bruce Bolingbroke: Don't go before 1500
Ancestors before 1500 cannot be submitted for temple work without special permission from the FamilySearch Medieval Group. It would vastly speed up the searching for most American's if you would stop crawling back when you hit the 1500 mark.
- (2014-04-18, v:4.2.3) Gladys Brown: I had Pandora's hope chest & now I don't.
Today I worked on Pandora's chest & it is wonderful. I opened up my computer tonight & it has gone. Please help. I tried to reload it but it said that it has been loated on google. thanks
- (2014-04-17, v:4.2.3) Follow FamilySearch Guidelines
I echo Shanna Jones concern that the 110 year rule, and pre-1500 submissions are not accounted for in Pandora's Hope Chest. Please add this functionality because more than 80% of the green arrows found can not be used. It wastes a great deal of time having to look at each result and determining that it should be thrown away.
- (2014-04-13, v:4.2.3) Gladys Brown: hopechest=familysearch
how does one down load hope chest
- (2014-04-09, v:4.2.3) Christian Beesley: functionality for family history users
Could you get it to erase the data stored in the chest when users sign out? That would make it very useful to family history centers.
- (2014-04-02, v:4.2.3) Shanna S Jones: Follow FamilySearch Guidelines
I am a FamilySearch Support missionary and currently you cannot do temple work for people who were born within the last 110 years without permission from their closest living relative. I suggest your programming be changed so that it limits the green boxes to those who fall outside the 110 year rule so that it doesn't tempt patrons to break the rules. This causes a great deal of heartache when it occurs. We also have a different process for reserving any names for persons born before the year 1500 so perhaps you could also program an option to stop when it gets to pre-1500 dates. Most of those have been completed or need to be researched by the medieval department or they fall into the IOUS Individuals of Unusual Size category so they wouldn't be able to submit or merge them. Other than that I think this is a great time saver for those looking for temple names to submit. Thank you for your time!
- (2014-03-30, v:4.2.3) Scott Hart: Hope Chest doesn't open
When I click on the Pandora's Hope Chest icon in Family Search, it opens an empty box and pushes my family tree out of the way. Has there been any update on getting the app to work properly with the Family Search site? [email protected]