Allows you to watch videos and read comments at the same time on Youtube.
Chrome Extension to watch and read comments at the same time on Youtube. Features a draggable divider to resize the player and the sidebar. Source code available: https://github.com/tberghuis/watch-and-read-comments-for-youtube
- (2021-08-03) Alex: Looked for something like this ages ago and couldn't find it. Finally did another google and your plugin was top result, and it works! Soooo much better to be able to scroll through comments without having to scroll away from the video. Thank you!
- (2021-06-12) Linus Komnick: Awesome extension! I love it!!
- (2021-01-19) Jacob Hernandez: An extension that I've been looking for a long time. Thank you for making this.
- (2020-11-28) Chris Vydas: My only suggestion, would be an option to keep the description under the video, everything else in the sidebar as this extension brilliantly does.
- (2020-11-21) Aman Ahmed: awesome yar... this is what i was looking for long time
- (2020-11-15) Millennium: Brings back the 2006 YouTube feel. Thanks a lot for making this. I really love that it saves the size as well, as the theatre mode for YouTube constantly fails to remember whether its on or not. No complaints so far. I'll let you know if I have any, if that ever happens ;)! Thanks again!
- (2020-08-29) Martin: I had been looking for exactly this type of extension for years. A much better approach than scrolling down a sufficient amount for the video to eventually pop out—as with pretty much all other extensions that allow viewing comments and video at the same time. That said, this extension is pretty buggy; and the design is pretty bad. There's so much that could be improved. eg: ⮚ The buttons, they should really be integrated into the design of the sidebar; and should NOT float while scrolling. ⮚ There's still some margin (unused space) around the video. ⮚ Adjusting the divider allows for the video to go beyond the viewport. ⮚ Custom divider presets would be useful. ⮚ What would be *amazing* is the option of having the: Title; share button; likes; subscribe button; description (as much as space allows) etc. either in the currently unused margin space at the top/bottom of the video OR within the top of video itself with, maybe, a black, mostly transparent gradient background to make the white text always visible while keeping top of the video still visible. I think information on what the video is should be visible at all times, even when you're reading the comments. This would also reduce the number of tabs needed, making the interface cleaner. Clicking on this transparent-title-bar could expand it down, revealing the rest of the description, reverting back 2s after mouse is nolonger hovering over it. ⮚ The chat tab should not exist. The chat should be integrated into the comments as a toggled option. ⮚ The tabs may be better placed vertically, to the left side of the side bar. Even better, would be no tabs at all. Should my suggestions be integrated, there would be no need for tabs, just a horizontal divider in the middle of the sidebar with related videos at the bottom, and comments at the top half. Adjusting the divider should, ideally, be done with a drag from within the window you want to expand, rather than having to aim the cursor at the few pixels that make up the divider. Lastly, the extension button could have custom presets for both dividers, also accessible with shortcuts.
- (2020-08-13) Raiden Roy: You should be proud of yourself Dev! This is a really good productivity tool. thankyou for making my life easier. To developer: Please don't abandon this extension. Youtube is known to change from time to time so please maintain this extension from time to time. Thankyou. Edit: I forgot to mention it does what it advertise and honestly you'll be surprised by how good it actually works!
- (2020-07-29) Shay Lewis: Better than SuperYoutube, and does the same thing, except, it's FREE.
- (2020-07-28) Izza Fakhruddin: good! but i have a suggestion. what if the description is still under the video. it will make this extension better!
- (2020-07-08) Sam Song: Excellent!! Perfect!! Absolute!!
- (2019-11-08) Jerenee Charles: I enjoy being able to read the comments while watching a video. This has completely transformed my YouTube viewing experience.
- (2019-08-16) Jeong-hun Sin: Finally! Thank you for the extension. I have been so annoyed by YouTube's layout. Today's screens are very wide and have little vertical space. But stupid YouTube's layout makes it impossible to read comments or the description while watching the video. I had submitted a suggestion to YouTube so that users could place comments on the right, just like Android version of YouTube on a landscape tablet, but no changes. I had searched for an extension for this, but the only one I could find was SuperYouTube, but it required access to ALL websites I visit. I asked the developer to limit the access to YouTube, but there was no reply. That is suspicious.... This extension does the same thing and requires access to only YouTube. Exactly what I needed.
- (2019-08-07) Angel Vazquez: Excellent extension for reading the comments and the video at the same time
- (2019-07-03) Derp Derpington: This extension is amazing, however I had a problem when accidentally resizing the video too big and couldn't reach the resize bar. Can you add an option somewhere to reset to default size? Thank you and I will add the 5th star if this is implemented because it should have been added originally. *edit* I changed it to 5 star because the dev will be fixing the problem and they actually respond which is getting pretty rare. Again this is amazing and would recommend everyone to use this extension.
- (2019-06-08) Gersivan Oliveira: Faz o que promete. Deve em boniteza.
- (2019-06-08) kaistudio: i hate it when you have to scroll down to see the CDaRV (CDaRV = Comments Description and Related Videos) because i wanna look at the video at the same time! but with this GCE (GCE = Google Chrome Extension) i can look at the video AND the CDaRV at the same time!! plus i really like the design of the GCE. thx!
- (2019-06-02) Minho Gmbit: ahí alguna forma de empezar en la pestaña de vídeos relacionados, seria de gran ayuda
- (2019-02-24) Alex Lo: Exactly what i need!
- (2018-12-18) Marie Berghuis: It is extremely handy for me as I do a lot of learning on youtube & the demonstrators often leave out important steps in a project, so with the extension added, I can view what other reviewers have said at the same time & still see the video. There's always someone with expertise on the video who offers hints in their reviews. Also I often copy different parts of the video, as a reminder of how to do something. With this extension I can make the video smaller, so it's easier to copy just a small part of the video. Very handy! Thks for sharing!
- (2021-03-28, v:0.1.2) Gelbwurstfieber: Feature-Request for your plugin
Hello, I think your plugin is very good. I would like to have the following function: I would like an view whether I have already liked and commented on the currently running video. Is such a thing possible? Excuse my bad English. Greeting, GWF
- (2021-02-16, v:0.1.2) Stijn Loomans: Firefox implementation?
I can't find this add-on for firefox. I really enjoyed using it on Chrome. Could you maybe port this add-on to Firefox? I heard that it is not that hard to port chrome extension to firefox :). If you could do it, that would be greatly appreciated.
- (2020-08-14, v:0.0.10) Raiden Roy: Bug: Click on Timestamps & Automatic scroll up Happens!
Hit a timestamp in the comment section, the comment section scrollbar automatically scrolls up!
- (2020-08-14, v:0.0.10) Raiden Roy: Feature Request: Add a turn off feature
Right in the extension badge or on the youtube page (or maybe both?) Sometimes one needs to see the entire page for whatever reason so please add this functionality.
- (2020-08-12, v:0.0.10) Ryan Stern: Disable or live chat
Would be nice to click the icon to disable for livechat or have live chat available in live videos
- (2020-08-12, v:0.0.10) Ryan Stern: Open to tab
When in a playlist would be nice if it opened to the comments automatically
- (2020-08-07, v:0.0.10) A X: Enable a way for Description in Left Panel below the Video - Smaller size & Comments on Right
Enable a way for Description in Left Panel below the Video - Smaller size & Comments on Right
- (2019-09-18, v:0.0.8) Rainbow Warrior Princess: 2 BUGS: Upload date is missing and sometimes comments are not shown
1. The video upload date is missing in the description tab. 2. Sometimes the comments are not shown in the comments tab, after reloading the video page they are there.
- (2019-09-06, v:0.0.8) Jeong-hun Sin: Problem with the Cinema mode
The four buttons stay on top, and the video's size remains the same in Cinema mode. Probably in Cinema mode, the layout should be reverted back to the original state. That is putting the comment on the right should only work in the normal mode.
- (2019-08-23, v:0.0.8) Jeong-hun Sin: Vertical videos are clipped.
For example, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7kUbSRRx10 The video is big and the bottom of the video is clipped and invisible. It seems that the video is resized to fill the left pane horizontally. If the height of the video is longer than its width, the video should be resized to fill the left pane vertically.
- (2019-08-16, v:0.0.8) Jeong-hun Sin: Method to "refresh" comments
In a "hot" video (at the moment, a lot of people are watching it and writing comments), the comments are constantly updated. But YouTube has no official method of "refreshing" the comment section. As a workaround, I have been changing "Sort By" two times (switching to the other mode and then swiching back to the original mode) to refresh the comments. Or sometimes I just reload the whole page. That is awkward. How about when currently reading comments (the comments button is pink), pressing the comment button (currently does nothing) refreshes the comments?
- (2019-08-16, v:0.0.8) Jeong-hun Sin: If possible, how about a toggle for the top bar?
IThe thick top bar takes a lot of vertical space, and has only a few useful things. The only thing I use often is the search far and the YouTube logo (as a "Go to home" button). Currently, with this extension, the left side has only the video and has a big empty white space below. How about adding a toggle button that shows the home button and search field on the left side and hide the top bar? When users need additional features (that they rarely use), they could toggle the button to show the original top bar. Or moving the top bar inside of the left side could be better, but I thought that would be more difficult to implement.