Shades Chrome to a soothing orange color to decrease eye-strain, eye fatigue and to appease your brain's day/night cycle.
Now open source! Check out Screen Shader's source code and contribute here: https://github.com/MarcGuiselin/screen-shader 😁Do your eyes a favor, Install Screen Shader! 😍Screen Shader is the most popular screen tinting application for Chrome! 🧐Screen Shader is in no way endorsed by or affiliated to f.lux Software LLC. Computer displays produce bright blue light which can strain your eyes late at night and interfere with your sleeping cycle. Screen Shader is designed to tint your screen a “cozy” orange color to reduce eye-strain, eye fatigue, and restore day/night balance, while also providing a wide variety of settings for everyone's different tastes! With over 2 months of very hard work I present Screen Shader 2.0! ⭐A completely redesigned modern menu! ⭐A completely new shading algorithm based off the newest research ⭐Full control over geopositioning, color, and darkness settings ⭐Bug fixes for countless websites ⭐Optimized to never slow chrome down 👌Screen Shader works everywhere you'd expect it to. YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, you name it! 😍Screen Shader is continually tested on windows, mac, and chrome OS, and is constantly being bugfixed and updated with input from its users. 🤟Screen Shader includes these keyboard shortcuts: ALT SHIFT UP to increase shade ALT SHIFT DOWN to decrease shade ALT SHIFT S to toggle the shade And many more! Edit them in the menu. 📨Send me an email, or comment here. I'll usually reply in a day or two! 😀 Be sure to read the research that this extension is based off of: https://justgetflux.com/research.html 📞Contact me at [email protected] +1 On google ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Rate this extension Ｑ: I'm young and have good eyes. I don't need this. Ａ: Young teens may be twice as sensitive to light at night, and the elderly much less so. These results have important implications for schools, senior care, and device usage at night, too. Simply put: everyone has a use for this and will notice benefits from decreased blue light. Ｑ: Why not G.lux or Night Light? Ａ: Other extensions like G.Lux or Night Light just change your screen color. Screen Shader is the only extension available that smartly changes the color of your screen throughout the day using sunset/sunrise times! Research has proven that the circadian rhythm is tied to solar time. Individuals have shown greater preference for screen tinting applications that take that into account. Ｑ: Does this really remove blue light from my display? Ａ: Yup! Screens work by individually tweaking the amount of red, green, and blue each pixel of your screen emits. Pixels being the small square of colors that together form the screen. Screen Shader alters the coloration of websites to a redder color. To show these colors, your screen will tweak its pixels to show more red light, less green light, and considerably less blue light; but just enough so you can still see different colors. The more you increase the shade, the more the color of the website will be reddened, the less your screen will show blue light! Ｑ: Why do i need this? Can’t i simply change the luminosity of my screen? Ａ: Changing the luminosity does not remove white and blue light from your display. Those colors are still unnatural and will irritate your eyes, even if dimmed. A full day in front of your computer screen can wreak havoc upon your melatonin cycle and internal clock. The unnatural light can also harm your eye retina. Screen Shader is designed to considerably reduce these effects by eliminating enough white and blue light to provide you with the best browsing experience and eye comfort. Update log: 2.0: Everything is coded from scratch! New menu - very nice Fixes bugs on countless websites New shading algorithm Manually set your location Better optimized shading engine Just try it out! 1.7: Fixes for pages using buggy backdrops and backgrounds. Big speed optimization for bug fixing subsystem. Fixed bug with 10px bar at the top of the screen Screen Shader now force-loads itself on every tab when it loads up, so every tab is shaded :) Screen Shader now can safely work in incognito mode (if you enable it to do so on chrome://extensions) The party easter egg was unfortunately removed because too many people were running into it accidentally Fixed issues on xml documents Fixed issues with lastpass extension Fixed scrollbar issues in upcoming chrome versions Screen Shader now shades podStation Podcast Player, another great extension you should totally try out! Fixed incompatibility issues with norton security extensions. Save Screen Shader's settings to a file and load settings from save file. Added new shortcuts to increase/decrease the day or night shade separately. Fixed a bunch of visual bugs on a variety of websites. Other various bug fixes. 1.6: Screen Shader now works on anything fullscreen! Screen Shader's content scripts have been rewritten to pure js. No more JQuery! Screen Shader won't accidentally mess with your printing anymore. Shaded scrollbar updated to v5.0 Polished the cross-extension messaging feature. Other extensions can now ask Screen Shader for a shade element! Screen Shader will now stay off if you turned it off and close the browser. Bugs with newtab page should now be fixed Option to disable party mode and scroll shortcut New keyboard shortcuts to increase/decrease darkness A few bug fixes (of course) 1.5: New option to set shade as high as you desire. No White Flash script implemented Fixed bugs with the new interface Added donation page. Using chrome.commands api, so now you can create your own keyboard shortcuts! Added a ton of new keyboard shortcuts. A lot of bugfixing. All Screen Shader elements are now organized in their own parent 1.4: Fixed printing issue for google docs Added a cool dynamic icon changer Switched from hex color values and opacity to rgba color values(150% faster!) Fixed a bug where the screen blinked when using the ctrl alt + shortcut Compressed unnecessarily large images. -1.4 MB size! Completely new and improved UI, thanks Jeeves! Mix-blend-mode option for chrome. 20% cooler! 1.3: Fixed bug where the shader menu did not display correctly Switched to a more reliable geo-ip service Completely rewrote the shaded scrollbar, so it is now usable. 1.2: Fixed slowness issues on slow computers like chromebooks Removed a good portion of the unnecessary code used for debugging Improved the loading speed of the popup by running some scripts after the popup loads Redid loader for map display Removed console.logs Updated sendRequests to sendMessages for next chrome update Changed the 'Thank you' page to be more visually appealing 1.1: Finally! I updated/removed old code, improving performance. Added ctrl alt scroll shortcut, and now keyboard shortcuts affect all tabs Added the language option Fixed a few bugs relating to the custom url option Wrote a global system that manages the shade on every tab at the same time When shade is changed, it affects all the tabs at the same time, so you don't see a blink or a flash when you change tabs Page reload is no longer required on install 1.0: Uploaded to web store. yay :D Added fullscreen mode Added shaded scrollbar Added custom urls option Added a larger color selection interface + a new color picking menu Added a install page to thank you guys for downloading Screen Shader! Proud to be Ad and Analytics free :) Time article: http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/13/computer-eye-strain-explained-and-how-to-avoid-it/ I am in no way endorsed by or affiliated to Time inc or its partners. The article was written by Laura Newcomer
- (2020-06-24) Nathalie Faith: I've had migraines and headaches and thought to try this out on my laptop and it had been absolutely great. I've tried other Blue Light Filter apps and although they were just as effective, what separates this app from the rest if because it also gives a dark mode feature on the browser and Google when researching. Highly recommend.
- (2020-06-24) Stiff Cliff: This is amazing! When I look at something else and back at my computer screen, my eyes don't even have to adjust to the light. I feel so much more relaxed. I really like that I can change the shader color to whatever I want. I also like the thing where it tells me when to go to bed, because it's very helpful.
- (2020-04-14) Sharis Wong: Good
- (2020-04-03) Avi Megiddo: I love it. The UI for choosing your best color filters is excellent. My eye strain is gone because of this Chrome add-on.
- (2020-04-02) Maxcella, Sze Kei Chan: but why it always disappears a few days after installation
- (2020-03-24) Nguyễn Thị Hồng Phúc: có tâm đấy
- (2020-03-12) Dago A Carralero: If you are looking for a nice screen temperature setting in order to reed well at night, this is the one !!!
- (2020-03-05) 纳兰紫萱: 很好用，谢谢开发者
- (2020-02-13) Jaden Gargollo: This is great! I don't like the preset night light on my computer, but this one I can customize. I also like the feature of darkening my screen. I would put on the dark mode on my laptop, and a dark theme for my chrome to save battery, but It did't work as much. this one, I can darken the screen even more, and it is effective for when it is really dark at night and the screen is super bright even at minimum brightness. I do have a suggestion for another extention. A dark mode that would change the screen would be nice.
- (2020-01-12) Meryem Lakhal: doesn't work
- (2019-12-22) 王军: 好用
- (2019-12-08) Katarina Radovanovic: Weird that the Chrome bar doesn't get filtered and same thing with Chrome web store pages.
- (2019-12-08) v.a nonono: Like it,but it does not compatible with Simpread,i hope you can update this extention
- (2019-12-07) Shein Phyo: Hi, is it possible to apply screen shader on the extension popup page itself? Every time the extension popup is open, the white background of it is glaring against Screen Shader Dark Theme background. Otherwise, a great extension!
- (2019-11-19) Anubis: 为什么看油管时候一进入全屏模式就整个影像变成背景色看不了视频呢，再把着插件停用以后就能恢复正常啦。
- (2019-09-29) Reepz the Reaper: I was watching youtube in bed and I started to get a headache. So I went on to the chrome web store and found this. I messed around with it a little bit and 20 minutes later my headache was gone. It also is very fast and has no interruptions on a low end computer like mine.
- (2019-09-13) Mikhaelo Joshua: didn't read enough so it might already be a feature but is there an option to have different filters per website?
- (2019-09-07) Gary Hughes: Works perfectly for my needs. Set up, made a few adjustments and hey presto! haven’t touched it since. Just comes on when I need it protecting my eyes from the computer glare. Would recommend.
- (2019-08-06) 李静: 请问这个怎么使用
- (2019-07-28) Spicy Curry: 밤에 컴할때 눈부심이 확실히 덜합니다. 강추!!
- (2019-07-24) Tanya Garee: Thank You!!!
- (2019-07-19) Yassine Daoudi: Good, the only problem that made me give 2 stars, because the extensions affect the videos in the web and make them darker or ruin the real look of the videos while switching to fullscreen mode even if you disable it in some links, the only way to watch videos in fullscreen with real quality is, to disable it in chrome, I can't disable it and enable it for every fullscreen video. @Marc Guiselin, is there any work around to fix this issue?
- (2019-06-12) Ning Cao: good!
- (2019-06-11) Disciple de Jésus-Christ: Marche Dernier test le 12 juin 2019
- (2020-06-30, v:2.0.80) Ionatan S: Automatic disable schedule
Thanks for your good work on this extension, it is very useful. I only use the extension at night time, so during the day I just disable it. I find myself every morning disabling it for X hours. I wonder if there is any chance that you add some form of automatic disable schedule in the "Disable for how long" screen. Is this possible? Thanks in advance!
- (2020-06-15, v:2.0.80) nona lila megged: shade control
I don't see where I can change the red shade. my pages are too pinkish
- (2020-05-23, v:2.0.80) Happy Grits: What about OutLook?
I'm not getting the wonderful benefit on my OutLook emails, nor calendar. Is there a fix for that? thanks
- (2020-05-13, v:2.0.80) Alexander Metzenleitner: Gmail, Docs etc still white
Hello , i like this App very much. WhatsApp/Reddit/Twitter is shaded but , Gmail, Google-docs , youtube are still horrible white . What can i do that is every shaded ? Thanks in advance
- (2020-03-28, v:2.0.70) Bill Sacks: Images not displayed on webpage
I really like this extension (thank you for developing it!). However, on this page <https://blog.bear.app/> I noticed that the images aren't displayed when the extension is installed (even if I change its settings so it is currently disabled). Although I don't care too much about that particular page, that makes me worried that other pages I view also may be missing some content.
- (2020-03-26, v:2.0.70) Alex Boysen: How adjust evening shade start hour/time?
In the menu, I can only see an option for adjusting the morning hour, not the evening. I use a chromebook.
- (2020-02-29, v:2.0.70) Okan KAVAS: Reddit
For some reason this extension breaks Reddit overlay for some subreddits. Even when it's disabled.
- (2020-02-24, v:2.0.70) Tomasz Piowczyk: Two pages are not displayed
https://meetingapplication.com/ and https://housemarque.com/ They're whole white
- (2020-02-16, v:2.0.70) Paul Sager: Screen Shader won't turn off even when disabled and uninstalled
Screen Shader would not turn off on my chromebook . Disabling the extension does not help. Uninstalling the extension does not help. Screen remains dark orange.
- (2020-01-01, v:2.0.70) iiRosie1: Shade tab: what the slider does
I am confused in the Shade tab. When it lets you change the daytime and nighttime shade, what does the percentage mean: higher = brighter or higher = darker?
- (2019-12-15, v:2.0.70) Thomas Wood: Can't get the Drudge Report page with Screen Shader enabled
With Screen Shader enabled, I get nothing but a bright white blank screen for drudgereport.com (the only web site so far where this has happened to me). There is an easy workaround for this problem, which is simply to pause Screen Shader while I view the site. The problem mentioned earlier--the Twitter thread scrolling problem--is more serious, because I haven't found a way to work around that problem. I'm pretty much convinced I would have to uninstall Screen Shader and its dark theme to get thread creation on Twitter back, and I don't want to have to do that.
- (2019-12-14, v:2.0.70) Thomas Wood: Problem with Twitter threads
I started with this app today. So far, it's excellent. Only problem I've noticed so far is that the slider doesn't work for Twitter threads after a couple of tweets have been added. (That is, I don't get the "Add a tweet" option after a couple of tweets have been put in.) Otherwise it seems to work fine for Twitter (and all other apps so far). It would be great to have this fixed, since I post a lot of threads on Twitter.
- (2019-11-19, v:2.0.060) Amylee Gare: screen shader
it is not wokeing
- (2019-09-03, v:2.0.060) Alex B: Donation site
How can I donate?
- (2019-08-14, v:2.0.060) Nathan Olonoff: Extension breaks NFL subreddit custom style.
Hi there, recently on reddit the NFL subreddit changed their style and this extension badly breaks it. I have tested the site on every browser and with all individual extensions turned off and discovered that it is this one causing it. No idea as to why as I have not noticed this issue anywhere else on Reddit. https://old.reddit.com/r/nfl/ I am also messaging the admins of the sub to let them know as well.
- (2019-08-07, v:2.0.060) Nick Nordstrom: Choppy Youtube Video Playback
Hello, Chrome screen shader is causing choppy youtube video playback. I used safari & google incognito (no chrome extensions), and video wasn't choppy. I then disabled each extension individually, and the f.lux extension was what was causing the choppy playback. It doesn't happen all the time (for me, around 20% choppy playback), FYI. Let me know if oyu need additional info. Love the extension otherwise!
- (2019-07-11, v:2.0.060) Rikin Patel: Vanguard sites are blocked when extension is Enabled
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/stocks/snapshot?Ticker=T Most of the vanguard pages are blocked when extension is enabled.
- (2019-06-05, v:2.0.050) Jason %: Same problem as Викто Черный, above.
Every page I load starts to constantly refresh over and over, and malwarebytes blocked an outbound request to techsuperb.biz. Behavior stopped when I turned off ScreenShader. This just started today.
- (2019-05-23, v:2.0.050) GinGin: daytime color
Hi! I want to use the orange color at any time of day, as the blue light is hard on my eyes. I have sensitivity to lights, and so I try to keep my screens as dim and orange as possible all day. Is that possible on this add on, or are there any others that do that you could recommend? I do like the range of colors on this one.
- (2019-05-21, v:2.0.050) Jacek Broda: Redirects
In the last few months, Chrome started to redirect to http://r.srvtrck.com and other websites when Screen Shader is enabled. Is that on purpose?
- (2019-04-27, v:2.0.050) Glen Acord: Please add time settings, not just based on sunset
Hi, I love this extension except I want to set it to activate at a certain time like my iPhone does. It's not use for me when it's based on sunset, since sunset actually occurs after my bedtime in the summer. Thanks!
- (2019-04-02, v:2.0.050) Network Issue with Data Collection
I wanted to let you know that my network started getting hits to a website called apiurl.org on machines that are using your extension. While we enjoyed the extension, we are having to remove it from all of our devices as that website is a known malicious site and collecting data that cannot be collected on under age students. I felt that you deserved to know.