Find and remove duplicated bookmarks manually and in batches, get rid of broken bookmark links and empty folders.
This extension allows to find and delete duplicate bookmarks, empty folders, merge folders with the same name (within the same path), find no longer working and expired bookmarks and remove them easily. Permissions explained: 1. Read and change your bookmarks(required on install) - required for core functions to work 2. Read and change all your data on the websites you visit(optional, not asked until you use Broken URLs checker) – to check if bookmarked page loads and doesn't return any error. Support further development: If you find this extension useful, consider supporting me through Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/itwillnotbeasy (A donation of any amount is welcome!). If you want to make an one-time donation there is two options: 1. Donate using cryptocurrency (you can find all required information inside extension settings->donate link) 2. You can cancel your membership on Patreon after being succesfully billed (money are debited once a month, visit https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us/articles/204606215-Can-I-make-a-one-time-payment for more details) Warning: there is no way to restore removed bookmarks, so make sure backup your bookmarks before using this extension. If your screen becomes RED, saying that site is deceptive while scanning for broken links you can have 2 options: 1. Remove this site from your bookmarks: (error screen shows which site causes error, just open bookmarks manager and search for this site) 2. Disable this "feature" in chrome (go to Settings -> Advanced -> Under "Privacy and security," turn off "Protect you and your device from dangerous sites"), Changelog (most recent versions first) 0.1 Better privacy: - Only "Read and change your bookmarks" permission is asked on install. - “Access your data for all websites” permission is only requested, when running broken URLs checker, and removed after extension tab is closed. Features asked by users: - Finally, duplicate checker no longer ignores the URL part after "#". - Only HTTP and HTTPS protocols are being checked. - This means no more "Authentication Required" popups for FTP resources when checking for broken links. - It also fixes bookmarks separators in Firefox and Opera(which was using data:// protocol) being incorrectly flagged as duplicates. Bug fixes: - Fixed options page not being displayed when called from the in-browser extension preferences page. 0.0.8 - Got rid of unsafe-eval in content_security_policy. - Also added 64x64px icon for HiDPI displays in manifest.json 0.0.7 Improved Keyboard Accessibility - now you can navigate using keyboard only 0.0.6 Loading indicator is now shown when searching for duplicates The long text will in results is now wrapped to be more readable 0.0.5 Bugfix release 0.0.4 Fixes bug in Broken URLs checker, settings page now can be also opened from chrome extension dashboard Broken URLs page now also has a sticky header, so you will always know what error group you are currently looking at 0.0.3 UI now won't become too wide on large screens. Fixed a bug that caused to show only a few duplicates when more than 1000 duplicates were found. 0.0.2.0 Added option in settings which allows excluding certain folders from being scanned by extension. 0.0.1.1 URLs containing hashbang (#!, used by some SPA websites) now considered as different URLs, this doesn't affect traditional URLs with anchors (example.com/#heading1). 0.0.1 Added page with information on how to donate(gear icon->donate), when looking for broken URLs there is now a button to select/deselect all entries in a group; firefox version released 0.0.0.4 UI is optimized for smaller screens, fixed issue when some empty folders weren't deleted, other small bugfixes 0.0.0.3 Bugfix release 0.0.0.2 View details about network error when checking broken links
- (2020-08-11) Empathy Heals: It does not support bulk selection/removal of duplicate bookmarks so you have to remove them by hand which is no better than Chrome's Bookmarks Manager. It says you can do it on some review sites but the feature isn't available. https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/19/find-duplicate-or-broken-bookmarks-in-google-chrome/
- (2020-08-08) Happy Life: 非常實用！解決很多問題！
- (2020-08-01) Mark Minnis: Great tool, does exactly what is says. No fuss no muss.
- (2020-07-31) Omar H.: Every time I'd convince myself to clean up all my bookmarks that I've amassed over the past 15 years, I'd get started and quit within the first 30 minutes. This extension made it so easy to see which links were no good, tally up all the duplicates, and allow me to get rid of over 1000 useless bookmarks in less than 10 minutes. Can't recommend it enough!
- (2020-07-30) Katherine Hambley: Great tool! Cleaned everything up and saved tons of time. Thanks!
- (2020-07-25) Marian Pena: Exceptional!! Cleaned up bookmarks that I'd have sitting for years. Got rid of duplicates, and while I do wish it was a little more intuitive about selecting duplicates, I really did clean everything up pretty quickly. I don't rate many extensions, but felt this one did deserve to be rated.
- (2020-07-24) fareeth sheik: really working efectively . thnks to developer
- (2020-07-14) Zaq Armand: Works great. i had tons of duplicates and finally cleaned them up!
- (2020-07-14) LEA JANNEY: Thanks! It helps a lot!
- (2020-07-13) Jeff James: Seems to work great at removing a ton of duplicates. But they keep coming back. Must have some setting somewhere that "restore" them by itself.
- (2020-07-08) Devi von Schmidt: если долго мучиться-всё равно ничего не получится.
- (2020-07-03) Jarrod Davis: I really appreciate this extensions, it helped me clean up a crazy list of garbage, duplicates, and old broken links. Thanks so much!
- (2020-06-28) deqiao chen: 特别好用，能高效管理自己的网页标签，极力推荐！！！
- (2020-06-25) PickledSmosh: omg tysm it worked like a charm i had over 1000 bookmarks
- (2020-04-14) mu ya: nice!
- (2020-04-13) srgnrl 9: Отличное расширение! За секунды выполняют работу, на которую понадобились бы недели...
- (2020-04-11) Richard: Great and easy tool to find duplicates and old bookmarks that no longer work. Would have been a 5/5 if it also included a list of bookmarks that now have a redirect to a different url.
- (2020-04-11) Jim: Works great!!
- (2020-04-06) Yury Fedorov: Отличное расширение! Наконец-то навёл порядок в закладках.
- (2020-04-02) hyphen point: No Idea why this evaded my google-fu. This + SuperSorter and recursive bookmarksorter does the trick. Now, the only thing lacking is a NC like bookmark manager with drag drop folder reordering and a two panel side view and all is well.
- (2020-04-01) M.Cagan Engin: I had a bookmark duplicated 23957 times ! No matter what I did I couldn't erase the duplicated. Thanks to this extention, now I am all clean. Thank you people. I love you
- (2020-03-26) Otávio Kamel: Very good. Does what it needs to.
- (2020-03-26) Dean Williams: no instructions, no explanation of steps required or what screen buttons do.
- (2020-03-24) Elon Zhou: I love it!
- (2020-03-18) Diogo Magliano: Simples, prático, sem anúncios. Para uma geração que ainda usa bookmarks hehehe
- (2020-08-11, v:0.1.0) Empathy Heals: Sigh, so there is no way to select/delete all duplidates?
I have over 5000... that's reason I got this addon because I thought it provided a fast way to remove them... You know it's possible to remove them one by one in Google's Bookmarks Manager...
- (2020-08-04, v:0.1.0) Nick Sardelianos: Some ideas...
Very promising extension. What I missed from first use was two things in dead link detection: 1) Show where in the bookmarks a dead link resides. Sometimes the folder it belongs may remind us the use of that bookmark even if it reports an error (or warning). I this is in multiple places in the bookmarks, list them all. 2) Sorting of dead links. Both grouped by error or NOT grouped. Why do without grouping? Sometimes we may store same links but different site paths which may give different results, so sorting them will show immediately if this is the case. This could be even smarter to list links WITHOUT error (if in bookmarks) when there are links in same domain with an error. Also I am not sure about the "sensitivity" of duplicates - and would definitely like it configurable... For example whether remote.mydomain.com and mail.mydomain.com are duplicates (could be, but depends). Or if www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com are considered duplicates. Or SSL vs. non-SSL version. Talking about SSL vs non-SSL, a good tool in the extension would be to test all non-SSL links if there is an SSL version (although sometimes it is difficult as it lands in working page with no content - so it needs to be smart) - and replace the non-SSL versions with secure ones. In the same vain, do a reverse-DNS lookup if some bookmark is by IP and offer to replace with domain. (but only as an option as sometimes there is reason for using an IP address). Just throwing ideas. Let me know if I can test things for you.
- (2020-07-09, v:0.0.7) Figurette Holzner: Broken Links
Thanks a lot for this wonderful plugin! In the Broken Links Tester, it would be nice to have the option, instead of deleting the orphaned links, to rewrite them to the domain only. I often store a complete website reminder in the bookmarks via a special link, but the link itself is not important. With this functionality i could search in a first round for 404 or so. Then i would say "Replace founded links with main domain". Then i would do a second round over the main domains and i would find more "real" completely orphaned pages.
- (2020-06-26, v:0.0.7) Luis Morales: no me funciona
tengo windows vista y no me funciona....
- (2020-06-20, v:0.0.7) Mr X: 5790 duplicados
hola , tengo 5790 duplicados , eliminar uno a uno es una pesadilla , hay alguna forma de borrar o seleccionar todos los marcadores duplicados de una sola vez ?
- (2020-06-16, v:0.0.7) Elias C.Gomes: bulk deleting and prefered folder option
could add this functionality that e choose the prefered folder and all the bookmarks repeted outside of It would be deleted, or chose the newest, or oldest, or the ones repeted inside a specific folder. the serch of course had to take in consideratin the subfolders as well
- (2020-06-16, v:0.0.7) Elias C.Gomes: almost crashed my system
your extension took almost 5GB of my memory after run it and slowed the response of the system, had print screen after shutdown the process on task manager https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7szbgctdskatn5/Bookmarks%20clean%20up%20bug.jpg?dl=0
- (2020-06-10, v:0.0.7) Lisa Ladd: Bookmarks
I am on a Macbook Pro - macOS Mojave v10.14.6, and I am looking for "best practices" to using your APP, my google chrome bookmarks are unorganized, scattered and keep duplicating 🤯and the gazillion old 🤪deleted bookmarks (from a previous issue) keep showing up and they're duplicating too. Here are several questions? 1. is there a way to "select all" to delete quickly in a batch? 2. Is there a specific order to the steps or can you use whichever tab you need? 3. what should I do first, merge folders or find duplicates?
- (2020-06-03, v:0.0.7) noname: version for Firefox
hi - is there a version of you great addon for Firefox?
- (2020-05-28, v:0.0.7) keith rutman: first time user
is there a simple instruction manual?
- (2020-04-23, v:0.0.7) James J. Decoulos: All But One
Looking forward to the feature that selects All But One. 2300 duplicates in multiple folders and sub-folders are ridiculous for me to waste time to select individually. Thank you.
- (2020-04-15, v:0.0.7) Alex Stockwell: Way to check against entire bookmark URI or exclude bookmark with certain pattern?
Hi there, tldr: i think the extension may be ignoring the "#" symbol in a URI Great extension for cleaning up chrome sync occasional duplication of bookmarks across devices, however I've encountered an issue which renders part of it quite unusable for my bookmarks and was hoping there was a way to get around the issue. I use The Great Suspender (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg?hl=en) extension and sometimes I will bookmark a suspended tab which results in a bookmark with a URI that has a common prefix and structure for all suspended tabs: chrome-extension://klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg/suspended.html#ttl=Title&uri=http://www.actualURI.com Ideally the suspended tab would "unsuspend" itself if being bookmarked, but perhaps that is not easy. Unfortunately, when I run the "Find duplicated bookmarks" function it identifies all of these suspended bookmarks as identical and wants to trash all but one (both in global and select in same folder mode). Is there a way to ignore all bookmarks with a certain string, or better yet maybe to allow for a full comparison of the entire URI? I think I can go through the JSON or backup bookmarks file and stripout the extension bit as a solution and then rerun the extension on my bookmarks, but would be great to not have to do this each time. Actually I just tested this a bit to make sure it was the case and I think it is simply ignoring the "#" character. If I have a bookmark with an anchor in it and bookmark without it, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapterhouse:_Dune#Plot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapterhouse:_Dune then the extension identifies these as duplicates, which I wouldn't necessarily consider duplicate in the way that I bookmark things, so maybe if there was a way to control which characters are included and/or ignored? I'll keep the above just for ref and put a tldr up top. kind regards
- (2020-04-07, v:0.0.7) Avery: Removing Duplicates
When removing duplicate bookmarks does it leave one of the duplicates so you still have one bookmark of that name?
- (2020-03-18, v:0.0.7) Aleks Right: Ignore --- http://bookmark.placeholder.url/ neded
In 'Find duplicated bookmarks' function it need to ignore '--- http://bookmark.placeholder.url/', because it's using in Vivaldi browser for separated lines and for now it finds many duplicates.
- (2020-03-17, v:0.0.7) Aleks Right: Select by domain name
There is no select by domain name function for check flag and delete multitude of URLs by domain. It's actual for users with many thousand of URL bookmarks.
- (2020-03-17, v:0.0.7) Aleks Right: DNS/URL Filter
How could I add a special DNS/URL list for ignore check these DNS/URLs? Likewise how to add a specific list of DNS/URLs to check?
- (2020-02-09, v:0.0.7) Σταύρος Ντέντος: "Mark all duplicates" should leave one duplicate unselected
"Mark all duplicates" should leave one duplicate unselected
- (2020-02-03, v:0.0.7) Can Mei: auto remove all clones
Why is there no 'auto remove all clones'-function? That is THE core function of a clean up tool. pls add <3
- (2020-01-24, v:0.0.7) Crim Zind: Select all (but one) instance of each duplicate.
So, if you merge a duplicate folder, you now have a folder with a bunch of duplicate bookmarks you need to manually select one by one. I'm in a situation where Chrome has decided to duplicate some stuff 5+ times. Over thousands of bookmarks. Doing this all one by one is a pain. It would be BEYOND convenient if, instead of selecting ALL the contents of one folder (the current Eye icon) it would select ALL BUT ONE instance of duplicate bookmarks. This way, I can remove all duplicates, while maintaining only 1 instance of a bookmark.
- (2019-12-03, v:0.0.7) Kevin Wells: Injecting malicious links into search results on sites like Bing
I was getting several "Ad" results on searches in Bing that had a valid looking url displayed but the actual URL was to a malicious site. This extension was adding in in.
- (2019-11-25, v:0.0.7) R4d6: Delay for request
What would be the ideal delay between requests to prevent a site like AO3 from blocking it because it think it is a DDOS attack? Currently set it at 0.25 seconds and still consider it like one, but I feel 1 second might be too long for 2650 bookmarks, and probably still being blocked.
- (2019-11-15, v:0.0.7) Jennifer Jane: Print Page?
How can I save to PDF the "Bookmarks clean up" page (10K duplicates)? Thank you,
- (2019-11-10, v:0.0.7) Tyler Durden: add options or dropdown to auto select all links
Going through all the links is a pain to select each one can you add option or dropdown etc to -select all but first -select all but last -invert select -refresh and deselect all
- (2019-10-23, v:0.0.7) Pavel Vlasov: Clean full duplicates automatically
Please provide a way to automatically clean full duplicates. I just have clicked 400 times although those duplicate pairs (introduced by buggy Chrome sync) were 100% the same: title, url, folder. Thanks.
- (2019-10-11, v:0.0.7) Mark Wallace: process interrupted by chrome's red page deceptive link error
there needs to be a way to resume, or to flag "don't try this site again"