Render AsciiDoc (.ad, .adoc, .asc, .asciidoc) as HTML inside your browser!
This project uses Asciidoctor.js to render AsciiDoc as HTML. Usage 1. Check Allow access to file URLs in chrome://extensions 2. Open local or remote .ad, .adoc, .asc, .asciidoc file in Chrome 3. Enjoy! Options The extension can be configured via an options page. To open the options page, right-click the extension icon and choose Options on the menu. You can also go to chrome://extensions and click the Options link. The options page let you add custom attributes or change the theme of the AsciiDoc HTML output. Changelog 2.6.1 • Do not add the toc2 class if the document has no section - thanks @mnrvwl • Stop auto reload when the extension has been disabled - thanks @mnrvwl • Remove the deprecated options_page - thanks @mnrvwl • Upgrade Asciidoctor.js from 2.1.1 to 2.2.0 • Upgrade Asciidoctor Kroki from 0.7.0 to 0.8.1 • Support sidebar toc • Compatibility with Firefox, use the same codebase again! • Remove chartist sourcemap reference 2.5.0 • Upgrade Asciidoctor.js from 2.0.3 to 2.1.1 • Show errors thrown by the background script on the page (thanks @doub) • Catch exceptions thrown by the initial XMLHttpRequest • Use the `Cache-Control` header to make sure that we fetch the latest version available • Upgrade Asciidoctor Kroki from 0.4.0 to 0.7.0 with new diagrams: `packetdiag`, `rackdiag`, `vega` and `vegalite` • Upgrade chartist from 0.11.0 to 0.11.4 • Upgrade bulma from 0.7.5 to 0.8.2 2.4.0 • Move the fetch and convert functions in the background script (as the latest version of Chrome 80+ blocks `XMLHttpRequest` sent by the content script) • Upgrade to MathJax 3.0.1 2.3.0 • Upgrade to MathJax 3.0.0 (thanks @sindzicat) • Use server-side syntax highlighting (thanks @john-cj) 2.2.0 • Fix inter-document cross references by using `.adoc` as `outfilesuffix` (thanks @jmini) • Disable the diagram extension by default (can be enabled in options page) • The Kroki server URL can now be configured in the options page (for instance, you can point to a local instance) 2.1.0 • Set built-in attributes docfile, docname and docfilesuffix (thanks @utopalex & @ehmkah) • Use Kroki extension to render diagrams (support BlockDiag, SeqDiag, ActDiag, NwDiag, C4, Ditaa, Erd, GraphViz, Mermaid, Nomnoml, PlantUML, SvgBob and UMLet diagrams!) 2.0.0 • Load additional languages for highlight.js (using :highlightjs-languages: attribute) • Upgrade to Asciidoctor.js 2.0.3 • The default safe mode is now safe (was secure)
- (2020-11-10) Sturt Ison: This extension led to me changing the way I write and share knowledge. Readable & searchable plain text asciidoc (.adoc) files viewed direct with this extension become beautiful HTML documents with diagrams, tables of contents, and more. Using the one sentence per line style of writing makes authoring comprehensible guides so much easier and faster.
- (2020-07-22) Holger Hoffmann: Great extension. I use it when I write my documentation in vim and want to see the rendered result when I save. I love software that just works. Thanks!
- (2020-04-09) Michael Hunger: Amazingly useful extension with a ton of great config features. Wouldn't live and work without it. Thank you Guillaume!!
- (2020-01-15) Ted Bergeron: It now works in the new Microsoft Edge browser (based on Chrome 15-JAN-2020) I use this extension daily to view all my docs that I have linked together. It acts like a wiki for me; powered by a text editor and this extension. I especially love the themes that it has. I prefer AsciiDoc because it is a superset of Markdown.
- (2019-09-29) Mahafuj Ahmed: Maybe ....just maybe it worked years ago. but not now. Its gone.
- (2019-05-13) Jérémy Blanc: Bonjour, L'ajout d'un lien vers un diagramme plantuml de type : plantuml::test.puml[format="png", alt=""] provoque l'erreur suivante : Error : Cannot find module "./node-fs" Y a-t-il une configuration spécifique du plugin permettant de contourner ce problème ? Sinon très bon plugin :)
- (2019-01-07) Ivan Huang: Is this a full implementation of AsciiDoctor specification? Source code syntax highlighting and reference from outer source file with the "include::shared-content.adoc" syntax don't work for me.
- (2018-08-07) Dennis Groves: This is so absolutely the coolest! It should be built into every browser!
- (2018-03-05) Daniel Rivas: Awesome
- (2017-09-13) Daphné Bellemin: Parfait
- (2017-07-18) 久保秋真: Asciidoctorで文章を作成するとき、小口で書き溜める際もこの拡張機能でプレビューしながら書くことができて便利。 スタイルシートやイメージのフォルダも指定できるので、上手に設定すれば、変換による結果に近い状態でプレビューできる。
- (2017-05-23) jean-baptiste sablonniere: fait bien le taf ! permet de visualiser en live le rendu des modifications du adoc source.
- (2017-04-28) Carl: Works out of the box with no issues . Thanks for this
- (2016-12-11) Jonathan Zacsh: Works beautifully - just what you'd expect to be able to easily view the pretty-version of your local asciidoc files, in your browser
- (2016-09-25) Richard Lewis: doesn't work on chromebook for drive files. It also doesn't render a left side TOC, not sure why. And local images aren't showing up. If I run in linux on the same chromebook, it works.
- (2016-09-13) Roy Emmerich: Super, thanks a ton! As some others are saying: asciidoctor-diagram support would be fantastic!
- (2016-07-09) Jirka Hrbek: great extension! ... and I'm interceding for asciidoctor-diagram and deckjs too...
- (2016-04-24) Wayne Phipps: Absolutely love this Chrome extension. Would love it even more if it could also preview asciidoctor-diagram.
- (2016-03-14) patrik suzzi: I really love this extension! 5 stars: from asciidoc to preview in no time, also include::my-file is supported (in 'safe mode')
- (2016-02-19) Sebastian Schoofs: Läuft optimal.
- (2016-01-31) Marc Lebeau: la puissance d'asciidoctor directement disponible dans Chrome
- (2015-11-25) clément Sabater: So awesome !
- (2015-09-02) Alan Thompson: Works great, easy to use, automatic reloading. Love it.
- (2015-07-08) Mountain Liu: Very useful
- (2020-03-16, v:2.4.0) Jérôme Vuarand: No longer loading online
Recently my the plugin stopped working in my Chrome on Windows for online files. It still works for file:// URLs. I don't use it daily, but I think it stopped working around the last release (2.4.0, which is what I have now). The URL is of the form: http://server.company.com:8080/gitweb?p=path/to/repo.git;a=blob_plain;f=path/to/file.ad Now the file is always displayed as plain text. Since the URL is quite complex, I thought maybe it was because of that (it worked before though). I tried hosting the file on another server with a simple http://server/file.ad URL, but whatever MIME type I set the file gets downloaded by Chrome instead of being displayed.
- (2020-02-06, v:2.3.0) Sarah Biddle: Includes are completely broken
This morning the extension is completely broken. It doesn't resolve any includes, which work fine when using other build tools.
- (2019-05-14, v:2.0.0) Jérémy Blanc: Plantuml (with external file) support
Hi, I tried to add a link to a plantuml diagram like this : plantuml::test.puml[format="png", alt=""] And here is the error I get : Error : Cannot find module "./node-fs" Is there a way to configure the plugin in order to make it work ? Thanks for your plugin which is really usefull :)
- (2019-05-07, v:2.0.0) Gavin Macaulay: Support for asciidoctor-bibtex?
Hi, Does the live preview support asciidoctor-bibtex? My bibliographies don't show up, but perhaps I need to configure something? Gavin
- (2019-03-04, v:220.127.116.11) Erika Lislén: Does the extension run with all data locally?
I would like to use this extension in my work but since my documents contain confidential information I need to know if this extension keeps the data locally or if it pushes data elsewhere.
- (2019-02-08, v:18.104.22.168) Billy Sneed: Font icons
Thanks so much for this extension. I really enjoy using it. One question about the font icons support (e.g. icon:heart). Is there a good reference for which icon set is supported? Some of the Font Awesome free fonts are usable, some are not. Is there a definitive list supported by this extension? Thanks again! Billy
- (2019-01-16, v:22.214.171.124) Manuel López: PlantUML extension
Hello. I use PlantUML for documentation diagramming, and I have found an asciidoc.js plantuml.js extension (here: https://github.com/eshepelyuk/asciidoctor-plantuml.js), but I don't know how to configure the extension... Could you please help me (us)? Thank you.
- (2018-12-05, v:126.96.36.199) can i use asciidoc diagram?
Hi, i'm new to asciidoc but isn't this ``` [mermaid] .... graph TD; A-->B; A-->C; B-->D; C-->D; .... ``` supposed to work?
- (2018-04-06, v:188.8.131.52) Joe Prosser: Live preview from google doc edit?
Hi, I would like to be able to edit the asciidoc using the googledocs editor and see the rendered version without exporting it first. Is this possible? Thanks, -Joe
- (2018-03-06, v:184.108.40.206) Nestor Lopez: asciidoc page refresh rate
When the extension is installed and it picks up supported file (e. g. with the .ad extension), the plugin will request the page from the server every 2 seconds, regardless of the plugin being enabled or not. For a large number of users this poses too much heavy load on our servers. Would it be possible to: 1) Not reload the page if the extension is not enabled ? 2) Add an option with the timeout for refreshing the page, with the possibility of disabling autoreload completely ?
- (2017-10-16, v:220.127.116.11) Alexander P: Can't load local .adoc
After opening local file in chrome there is error: Error TypeError : Cannot read property 'join' of null
- (2017-07-12, v:18.104.22.168) Shane Kuester: Can't open file
Hi, Hopefully this is just a noobie question. I received an adoc file for the first time today. I didn't know what it was, so I read about it and it seemed like this might be the best way to open it. I tried editing it in Notepad++ but it was just a scrambled mess. I installed the Asciidoctor extension and clicked on allow local file access. But whenever I drap my file onto Chrome, the "Find an App on the Windows store" dialog comes up. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just have a bad file?