Disables autoplay of all HTML5 audio and video
- (2020-04-15) Mike Butrovich: Does not work! It worked with CNN video, but would not stop videos from Fox or NY Post from playing automatically. This was after I added specific sites to the list as well as selecting the overriding ALL SITES option.
- (2020-03-27) Marmooz Marmooz: yeah, it stops playing the videos but still misses the video buffering :(
- (2020-03-16) Luke Boothe: Used for pinterest. Works great 👍
- (2020-03-14) Кирилл Негодов: Иногда может блочить некоторые функции, вроде предпросмотра видео, но зато весь аутоплей отключает на ура.
- (2020-03-09) Darklocq of Highrock: No longer works. I'm not sure any of them do, given the reviews I'm seeing across all such extensions.
- (2020-03-07) Elliott Blocha: This extension is doing some strange spyware-looking activity in the background. Looking in wireshark, it keeps pinging a server every few seconds. I can't see what data is being sent to this server, because it's encrypted, and I don't have the private key. None of my other extensions have this kind of activity. I know it's this extension because the request header from my computer has this extension labelled as the source.
- (2020-02-12) Victoria Emem: Didn't work for me. I mainly got it to use on Yahoo news pages and it didn't work for that. The other autoplay blocker works so I'm uninstalling this one
- (2020-02-06) Rainbow Warrior Princess: Does not work when a video is started from the video sidebar on youtube.
- (2020-02-01) Neal Martin: Works fine on the main I site I use.
- (2020-01-25) Rachel Truman: Got this forthose annoying autoplay pins on Pinterest. Works perfectly there. Thank you!
- (2020-01-22) Jeff May: Worked okay for awhile. Had it installed on my work computer. But now it's causing problems with my computer's Symantec Endpoint Protection software and causing a "Web attack" warning to pop up once per minute. Really annoying, so I removed it.
- (2020-01-16) Joe Poniatowski: This didn't work consistently, and it recently started triggering 'malicious domain attack' notifications from my security software. Removed.
- (2020-01-16) Mike Wagner: Works perfectly! Thanks!
- (2020-01-12) mathis P: works perfectly on youtube
- (2020-01-09) mahesh nazhiyath: doesn't work at all on current versions of google chrome, chromium, comodo dragon etc etc. cannot make the option disable autoplay stick. it resets to block nothing automatically regardless of what one does. a total and absurd failure!
- (2020-01-05) Tom Sollas: This extension is a fake copy of https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/disable-html5-autoplay/efdhoaajjjgckpbkoglidkeendpkolai that's doing some pretty shady things. It's getting flagged by Symantec Endpoint Protection with malicious inbound connection attempts. AVOID AT ALL COSTS, REPORT IT!
- (2019-10-23) Colleen Travis: Works well, but why does it add a process that runs automatically even when the browser is not open? That is scary.
- (2019-10-20) Carlos Antonio Zapata Azkona: Genial. No podía abrir videos de Dailymotion y con ella me deja.
- (2019-10-19) Maciej Orzechowski: git majonez
- (2019-10-18) John McSpiffy: Doesn't seem to do anything. And it appears to be an ILLEGAL unauthorized fork of the Disable HTML5 Autoplay extension. ( as noted here: https://github.com/Eloston/disable-html5-autoplay/issues/223 )
- (2019-09-28) J J: Another extension that doesn't do what it says. Ban this developer!!!
- (2019-09-05) Anne Li: I don't hate the extension, odd way to rate it but sadly the extension does not work. Not anymore anyway. I used to be able to stop autoplay but now it seems they have removed this option too. Anything to force you have videos playing in the background. Drives me completely nuts how they just force things on people now. It's not an update it is simply invasive and forceful. I have been googling options to disable it but have not come up with anything. So developer I don't hate your app but I simply cannot make videos stop and this no longer helps - at all. Sorry. If anyone knows or has figured out how to do it (until Chrome again updates of course with its new BS) please let me know what to disable. I do not have "autoplay" option or it is hidden.
- (2019-08-29) Wsdag Saesrgt: Has very erratic behavior. It seems very effective at blocking autoplay but frequently also prevents playing of media when selecting the play button - sometimes after having already played a video or audio. Playing with the rules and the default behavior hasn't resulted in a solution. It's really a mess.
- (2019-08-12) Andrew J: does not work
- (2019-07-30) David Boland: I started tracking a problem, maybe it was a loop in the code, with 17GB of uploaded data from one of my PC's. I normally don't upload much data at all, maybe photos to facebook. So any uploads over 1GB gets examined. I was seeing this upload from 3 PC's at home, those logged into old versions of chrome (around v74, and as of 7/30/19 v76 is current). I could see uploading to 22.214.171.124 (which is www.nr-extensions.tk today). I wasn't sure if it was a virus but it was coming from Chrome's utility network thread. It turns out it was something related to chrome waiting to update (that red icon) and this extension. Once I updated the data dropped from 54KBps to 50Bps. Not sure what it uploads for autoplay but I have it disable for now and no more traffic. I'll have to read up on github what the latest version is because I really hate autoplay videos.
- (2018-11-09, v:1.0) Rainbow Warrior Princess: Doesn't work on youtube anymore
Please fix it!
- (2018-04-15, v:1.0) Donald E. Smith: Locks up Chrombook on wake up
Samsung Chromebook Pro w Disconnect, Adblocker Plus, Ebates, Just Read, & Roboform extensions installed. Samsung Chromebook Plus & Google Chromebook Pixel LS on same account OK? Removing this extension fixed problem w Pro.
- (2018-03-28, v:1.0) Beule Beulentum: Still loading videos?
Hi, does the App only stop videos from playing or does it also stop videos from being loaded in the backgraund. Reducing also the data transfer would be very important.
- (2018-03-27, v:1.0) Zlatko Saveski: ad blocker for windows 10
hi can you send it to me the app for ad blocking. I put the rating 5 stars and left comment. I suppose you have great knowledge, great job.. my email:[email protected] thanks
- (2018-03-13, v:1.0) Marta Stachurska: works only for some time
The extension wroks flawlessly but just for a couple of days at most... after that autoplay is ON again. Removing and reinstalling the extension helps again for some time. How come?
- (2018-02-28, v:1.0) ReviewStream: Downloading
It prevents not only autoplay, but also stops video from downloading (before autoplay starts), right?
- (2018-02-07, v:1.0) Anthony Plascencia: stops video...and page scrolling
The extension did what it was supposed to. Unfortunately it also stops me from being able to scroll down the page to read. I've disabled it, for now, as being able to read the page is more important than not seeing the pop-up video. This is on a USA Today page.
- (2018-01-24, v:1.0) Interferes w/ Trello
Not sure why but with this extension enabled it makes medium to large sized Trello boards load and interact extremely slow even when whitelisting the site even though there are no videos on it.
- (2017-12-05, v:1.0) Publish source on a website
I don't doubt that this extension can block some videos, but how I can I trust an extension that has permission to read and change all data on all websites when the developer hasn't even created a website, much less published code to gitlab/github...
- (2017-11-30, v:1.0) Adam Cooke: YouTube
Hi, I removed youtube.com from the whitelist but videos still autoplay. Are YouTube videos not HTML5 or are they using tricks like CNN? Thanks.