This is a simple reading ruler, useful when you are reading long texts on web.
Reading Ruler is a Google Chrome extension that helps you to read long texts on web pages. This tool can assist dyslexic readers to keep their place on the page they are reading. Features: * Highlight current reading line * Move the current line with arrow keys * Automatic jump to next/previous page * Smart adjustment when page resizes * Color, opacity and Shadow adjustments Usage: * Double click on text to start * Key Up/Down to navigate * ESC to cancel Data Protection FAQ: * Does the extension collect any user data? ** No, the Reading Ruler does not collect any kind of data. * Does the extension track users? ** No, the Reading Ruler does not track users. * Does the extension send data to any server? ** No, the Reading Ruler does not use any kind of server connection. All the processing is doing locally. * Why does the extension need 'read and change websites' permission? ** Because the Reading Ruler needs the information of website elements to calculate and render the ruler. Source Code: * https://github.com/denisonlinus/reading-ruler
- (2022-08-16) Amelia Howe: doesn't work with Cengage Mindtap textbooks.
- (2021-09-28) David Pasion: The title should have been "Word Highlighter for Wikipedia" because that's exactly the only thing this extension does. Either this extension has to adapt to this extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/readingline/bedndhimamenfipaocmhcpcickamhfnm) or the other way around. This one has conifigurability, but isn't as functional as the one linked above.
- (2021-06-24) Rogerio M. Souza: Excellent. It Works very well! Amazing! -------------------------------------- Ótimo. Funfa muito bem! Maravilhoso!
- (2021-04-10) Amber Joyce: Helpful, but sometimes inconsistent. Good for online textbooks especially!
- (2021-02-17) Alexander Nigrine: It simply doesn't work. There is no line.
- (2021-02-06) Jay: Does not work for the websites that i find difficulty reading on so that extension is pretty much pointless for me Works well on wiki and thats about it
- (2021-01-29) Erick Gaatjenixan: This is exactly what i was looking for, works like a charm, although sometimes you have to click on different portions of the text to get it started. If the letters are to small, it will skip text, but people using this would increase the text size anyway. My dad suffers from an eye disorder and he so happy now !!! Thank You !!!
- (2021-01-27) Quinn Puffer: It works
- (2020-11-29) Aftab Alam: Very good. What i was looking for. As i am using on corporate setup, some information on whether all processing is done locally would be good to see in the extension description page. I managed to get this working with a page refresh and luckily did not require a restart of the full browser. Ability to customize the ruler and make things clearer with different highlight background and borders would be nice.
- (2020-09-15) Ami: I cannot get this extension to work with pdf text. As a university student taking classes online, it would be helpful if this was compatible with pdf.
- (2020-08-27) test christina: Restarted browser a few times, enabling and disabling it. But still can't get it to start. Double clicking just does the usual selecting the text ready for you to copy and paste. There needs to be an alternative to get it to start. I tried on various different sites thinking maybe it was the sites causing the problem but to no luck.
- (2020-02-10) Jen Ridge: Not working in 80 chrome version.
- (2019-11-08) K David: Accessing some websites will completely consume optical memory, causing the Chrome tab to crash. Prompt for insufficient memory. Other forum pages cannot open personal messages Is it imperfect in language coding support? http://www.dianping.com/wuhan/ch10/r1886 https://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/forum-c-793-1.html#pvareaid=3454448
- (2019-08-16) Kobe Davis (Talk): Works on webpages but not PDFs. So it isn't that useful to me. Inability to function on PDFs was not stated in the description (hence the 2 stars). I restarted chrome entirely deactivated/reactivated the extension, as well as removed and re-added the extension. None of this made the extension function on a PDF. Hope this is helpful to others experiencing the same problem.
- (2019-08-10) Eva bowler: literally doesn't work
- (2019-04-16) Cody Parke: This extension isn't perfect, and that's okay, because it is the best one I have found. I have ADHD and it's really hard to read anything, let alone webpages. It does what it says it does (on pages that aren't formatted like garbage), and has options to change the color/opacity/shadow of the reading line, lets you double click on a line to start highlighting, arrow up/down to move the highlight bar, double click to stop highlighting. This extension has been a godsend. Thank you Denison for making it!
- (2019-02-08) Zachary Delaney: It's a decent program, but it doesn't work on a lot of websites.
- (2018-12-20) leopardabsurdity: Restarted browser multiple times. Closed every tab and window I was working in. Restarted browser. Did not work.
- (2018-12-17) Pak Kin Lau: Launching the liner with double-click ---- This settings is not too good, since many of other extensions also using this double click
- (2018-10-17) Mojtaba Vahdati: I'm a foreign user (Not English Native) and my double click opens up a pop up dictionary already, please add other ways for turning it on. Like Alt+click or CTRL+click . But please not a double click!
- (2018-10-03) laurent thiol: Très bien pour surligner des textes longs Bravo au développeur
- (2018-09-01) Lee Kendall: This is awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. I did have some trouble getting it to initially load. What worked for me was to disable it, exit Chrome and relaunch Chrome and then enable the extension again. Then it worked flawlessly. GREAT work, really makes keeping your place in documents great when switching windows and coming back etc. Kudos!!
- (2018-07-06) Javier Rey: Works great! Just required a restart of chrome. I think the bad ratings here are from people that forgot to restart.
- (2018-04-16) Kitty kat: more than half the time it did not even show up
- (2018-02-09) Rodney: There needs to be a better way to enable/disable the addon
- (2018-01-29) Timi: Would you plz let us change default settings, such as activating it by triple click instead of double click
- (2017-08-29) Piotr Krusicki: Great idea but unfortunately it makes chrome freeze on some pages such as google news...reddit . I had to disable it and hope for a fix in near future !
- (2017-07-13) Mark P.: Great tool. I'd make one addition to it: the ability to automatically scroll the page to keep the highlight vertically centered in the window if you're not too close to the top or bottom of the page. Also, let it go through the lines of bulleted lists. Right now it skips over the list entirely.
- (2017-03-31) Chad Sussex: Works nicely on web pages. The area that is needed the most improvement I think it to have it work within Google Apps (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.). Do that and you'll have a major fan from a dyslexic student!
- (2016-12-20) Itai Shirav: For those saying that double-click doesn't activate the ruler: seems that after installation, it doesn't work on existing browser tabs. But if you open a new tab, it works there.
- (2016-11-04) Lillian Lockhart: I have ADD problems, and this is fantastic for me! Note: You have to close out of the entire browser and reopen when you install to get it working. Also, when selecting your highlight color, you have to hit the enter key instead of clicking on OK. For some reason, clicking on "ok" doesn't save your choice and it just stays yellow. My only problem with this is that it doesn't work on bulleted lists. Considering almost every article in existence contains lists of some kind, this is a big flaw. However, I can deal with it.
- (2016-08-22) Penny Starr: Was really excited to see this, as I was used to Paragrasp on IceDragon, and there is not a comparable add on here. Will not work. Double click does nothing at all. Waste of time.
- (2016-08-08) A Rankin: Doesn't work. I double click on text, nothing happens.
- (2016-05-06) Lia G: Good and does what it says! But it'd be nice if it could slowly scroll, too.
- (2016-04-14) أحمد الناظر: thanks but still need improvments specially when moving by arrows it doesnot work on all websites
- (2016-03-29) Mark Kahn: Cannot change background color
- (2016-02-17) Jef Harris: I really like this. However it fails me when I want to read a bulleted list. It skips over it. Would also like to be able to change the color of the highlight and size.
- (2015-11-30) Venus Loi: It is exactly what I am looking for! But it could be improved by moving with the cursor and also compatible in PDF opened in Chrome
- (2021-08-21, v:1.4) Rich Brooks: Problem with the extension
I'm running this in Edge 94.0.989.0 (Canary). It seems I am having the same problem as your other users - the ruler works on most webpages, but skips lines of text with bullets. Will there be a patch forthcoming to address this issue?
- (2021-01-05, v:1.4) Cara Carter: Google Slides
Hello, Does this work with google slides? I teach students with autism virtually and have created a lot of adapted materials and this would be ideal to use them.
- (2019-05-02, v:1.4) Ulf Herrmann: Love the idea of the app, but...
We want to use your ruler for confluence step-by-step guides. By the ruler, the user would be able to always know where he/she currently is. We would pay for the app, as it would be a great benefit. BUT: It does not work with numbered lists within confluence, when there are second level numberings and/or when there are tip, warning, or other highlighted sections in between. The ruler then skips lines. Any chance to fix this?
- (2019-04-13, v:1.4) Karen Hoffmann: Reading Ruler caused Websites to Crash
I added the Reading Ruler extension to our school's domain at the request of one of our teachers. Later, I noticed I was getting "Aw, Snap!" errors when using certain websites. This didn't happen on all websites, but did happen consistently when we tried to use Yahoo, www.sumdog.com, and certain other sites. The site homepage would load, but we were unable to click on links. There would be no "hand" icon that would allow us to click - only the "pointer arrow." If we tried to click with that, ultimately we would get the "Aw, Snap!" error. Sometimes the "hand" icon would appear and seem to work; but if I used the back arrow to to back and then tried to click the link again, the site would crash. I had no idea what was causing these sites to crash so I turned to Google Support for help. After much trial and error, Google Support determined it was the Reading Ruler extension that was causing the problem. I was advised to click on the Reading Ruler icon and uncheck the "Enable" box. All of the websites I had been having trouble with for months instantly worked. We weren't trying to use the Reading Ruler with these sites so I would never have guessed that was the problem. Luckily, Google Support figured it out.
- (2018-11-19, v:1.4) Brett Peary: Bullet points
Please support bullet points. Now it skips them. Also, now it skips images, which can make navigation difficult. If you could have it recognize the bottom of an image as a line it would be helpful. Cheers.
- (2018-10-24, v:1.4) reading ruler and docs
I cannot use reading ruler in docs. I really need it when I am trying to read back my written work. Is there a way to make it work?
- (2018-09-02, v:1.4) Lee Kendall: Enabling extension
Hi, LOVE this product, however, I can't seem to get it to work consistently with new tabs/pages. Any suggestions?