Mouse Tooltip Translator translate mouseover text using google translate
When mouse hover on text, it shows translated tooltip in any language. # Features - hover or select (highlight) on text to translate - Visualize tooltip on any web page (except chrome web store site) - handle google translator and bing translator for translation - In the setting, google TTS (text to speech) is available to listen text - Support pdf to display translated tooltip using PDF.js - Filter out when source language and target language are same - translate youtube caption when mouse over subtitle block - process OCR when mouse over on image (ex manga) # Source code - https://github.com/ttop32/MouseTooltipTranslator # Supported Translation Languages (using google translate) English, Russian, Japanese, Chinese and so on # Change Log - 0.1.62 - Typo fix from option list (contributed by neoOpus) - 0.1.61 - Fix destruction process - 0.1.60 - change ocr japanese vertical model - fix node js 18 crash (request by anthony-nyc) - fix bing crash (request by Anh Dao) - fix ocr schedule process - 0.1.59 - support bigger translation box (request by Zoelya) - add papago translator - 0.1.58 - use [email protected] - change OCR process flow - support more i18 translation - add Russian language (contributed by Blueberryy) - 0.1.57 - add option for font color (request by WellingtonmpdNeves) - 0.1.56 - add option for voice selection (request by Joost Dancet) - add option for voice speed (request by vijayabalan) - add option for justified text (request by WellingtonmpdNeves) - 0.1.55 - fix mouse back button (request by SP ND) - 0.1.54 - fix container text detect (request by baroooooody9) - add context menu for saving translated text - 0.1.53 - add a list of excluded languages to be translated (request by kwisatz haderach) - fix visibility css on translator tooltip - 0.1.52 - fix google translator not working (request by ATU8020) - 0.1.51 - Auto contents script injecting when install - Add tts stop when tab switching - 0.1.50 - Add local pdf permission warning - Use google translator sub2 as main translator option - Fix css conflict on tooltip radius - 0.1.49 - Fix conflict with google web translator (request by dotdioscorea) - Add blur on tooltip (request by neoOpus) - Fix css conflict on tooltip (request by min geon shin) - Add sub google translator option - 0.1.48 - google reject by "Irrelevant information about Mouse Tooltip Translator" - remove Translate API section, Language Detect section, TTS section and UI Design section - 0.1.47 - update tesseract ocr library - add sub google translator option - 0.1.46 - rollback google translate fix from 0.1.44 - 0.1.45 - change mouse moved detection - 0.1.44 - fix google translate api handling (request by CONATUS) - change tooltip text to non transparency (request by Hakan Özlen) - 0.1.43 - google reject by tabs permission - remove open setting page in new tab - 0.1.42 - fix chinese default language code (request by yc-forever) - 0.1.41 - fix google translate api request - 0.1.40 - detect chrome pdf viewer instead of pdf url (request by Justin Brown) - 0.1.39 - fix translator css crash from twitter youtube (request by PedoBearNomsLoli) - 0.1.38 - increase variety on tooltip font size - change description - 0.1.37 - google reject by “Having excessive keywords in description” - Google said "Irrelevant information about Translate" - remove "Translate" from title - remove some description about "Translate" - 0.1.36 - alert local pdf file permission - fix pdf request header detection - add pdf detect option to allow pdf translate (request by Meow Meow) - 0.1.35 - fix pdf viewer problem when open with new tab (request by M9VK) - fix pdf viewer url parameter crash (request by sensypo) - 0.1.34 - remove sendMessage (stop tts) - 0.1.33 - avoid to use sendMessage (stop tts) when leave tab - 0.1.32 - add "translate When" option to replace "translate on hover" (request by Alex) - load setting from storage instead of background service worker - fix tooltip position problem when crtl pressed - set initial "translate into" value correctly - 0.1.31 - remove multiple sendMessage call to reduce cpu usage (request by M9VK) - 0.1.30 - update to google chrome manifest v3 - remove opencv, use canvas to process crop for ocr translate - remove option "translate on hover" and "translate on select" - use vue loader for translator popup configuration page - use chrome tts instead of google tts rest api - update tooltip translator pdf viewer to use v2.8.335 pdfjs - support command key as translator activation hold key - support right to left alignment for translate to Persian - move background ocr translate process to iframe - fix translator tooltip position (problem when it is first shot) - 0.1.29 - fix bing translator communication crash(request by zx xu) - support right to left alignment for translate to Arabic (request by mohamad-b) - add translate text history section on popup page (request by TeraStrider) - 0.1.28 - support translate on selection (contributed by sanprojects) - 0.1.27 - support youtube subtitle caption to show translator tooltip (request by Veratyr) - fix gmail pdf attachment crash with translator viewer (request by junkey) - 0.1.26 - increase tooltip z-index for particular site (request by WM) - add customization feature on tooltip width (request by Bambang Sutrisno) - change description - 0.1.25 - google reject by “Having excessive keywords in description” - Google said "Irrelevant information about Mouseover Translate" again - remove all main description - 0.1.24 - google reject by “Having excessive keywords in description” - Google said "Irrelevant information about Mouseover Translate" - remove "Mouseover Translate" from title and package summarization - 0.1.23 - google reject by “Having excessive keywords in description” - Google said to remove "google translate" - remove “google translate” from package summarization - avoid to use continuously mentioned “google translate” - 0.1.22 - fix translator type "bing" to correctly handle bing translator api - 0.1.21 - Support translator to translate word (request by Amir Rezaei) - Support reverse translate (request by Amir Rezaei) - When activation hold key is set, turn off permanent feature enable - 0.1.20 - Change promo tile name to Mouseover Translate - Change manifest description to Mouseover Translate - 0.1.19 - remove vue jsx from translator popup configuration page - fix translator popup page title name - add "about section" on popup page - 0.1.18 - Support multilingual manifest description again - Rollback "Setup Guide" description - 0.1.17 - Google reject by “Having excessive keywords in description” again - No detail guideline is provided. Make guess to remove some item. - Remove all "Detail Description" - Remove all "Setup Guide" - 0.1.16 - google reject by “Having excessive keywords in description” - Guideline is provided to fix some description item. - Remove “Supported Translation Languages with google translate” - Remove “Supported TTS languages with google TTS” - Avoid frequently mentioned Mouse tooltip translator in description - Remove multilingual manifest description - Rollback google translate respond to fix it - Rollback extension name to Mouse tooltip translator - 0.1.15 - Change name, Mouse tooltip translator to Mouseover translator - Support font size customization (request by Ramy_Ahmed.87) - Support Bing translator (request by Ramy_Ahmed.87) - Fix google translate response - 0.1.14 - Fix hide tooltip (show tooltip after mouse move) - Support multilingual manifest description using google translate - 0.1.13 - Filter out when only detect currency sign text - 0.1.12 - Fix base64 image OCR response for translate ocr correctly - Use Vue JSX on translator popup page - 0.1.11 - Use Vue and Vuetify on translator popup page - Add options_ui - Add step to load base64 image on OCR - Add step to resize image on OCR - Add image preprocessing step on OCR - 0.1.10 - Fix URL text filter - Filter text that only include number and special character - Hide tooltip when leave tab - Fix hiding when ctrl+a or ctrl+f is pressed - 0.1.9 - Only load bootstrap tooltip library (not whole bootstrap) - Apply script lazy load on manga OCR library script - Use transform method for tooltip positioning - 0.1.8 - Fix TTS (text to speech) stop message sending - Fix image load for translate OCR image correctly - Use zodiac3539's train data for tesseract jpn_vert OCR - 0.1.7 - Fix scrolled tooltip dictionary position - Hide tooltip when ctrl+a or ctrl+f is pressed - Change translator popup page container design as cool design - Stop played TTS (text to speech) when leave tab - Only activate tooltip when tab is focused - Support bubble translate using tesseract.js (OCR) and opencv.js - Update translated pdf viewer using PDF.js 2.5.207 - Filter out text that has over 1000 length - 0.1.6 - Fix to save translator setting correctly - Change hold key to action immediately - Fix translator popup page capital letter - 0.1.5 - Fix subframe pdf to translate correctly - Fix dropdown menu crash from site that use bootstrap - 0.1.4 - Fix translator pdf viewer line break - 0.1.3 - Add fade animation - Fix TTS (text to speech) enabled case to recognize - 0.1.2 - Increase tooltip margin - Prevent translate on URL text - Support pdf tooltip translate using PDF.js (pdf reader) - 0.1.1 - Support long sentence for TTS (text to speech) - Fix tooltip container arrow display error - Fix key hold error (issue on tab switching) - 0.1.0 - First release of Mouse tooltip translator # Intro Mouse tooltip translator is a google chrome extension that focus on providing convenient translate experience for user. To achieve convenient experience, this translator extension minimize current generally required step to translate word in website. In modern days, copying and pasting are getting generalized to obtain translated sentence from google translate site. This extension uses text hovering event to decide which text is required to be translated for user. It automatically detects pointed area and it collect near words to group them as sentence. This translator extension translate mouse pointed sentence text into user language text using any translator API like google translate and Bing translator. For providing direct translation, it displays given translated text with clean pop-over tooltip. User does not require any other more action for translate text. This extension process surely replaces general user translation action process which open new tab for using google translate to getting translated sentence. # TTS For supporting translate feature, this translator extension provides feature that spoke source text pronunciation using google TTS (text to speech). It handles google TTS to speak pointed text to user to listen its voice. To using this feature, user need to enable TTS (text to speech) feature from translator pop up configuration page. When TTS feature is on, this translator extension send mouseover text to google TTS to speak original text based on computer voice to give user to have an idea on how to pronounce its text. With this translator extension, any language learner student can enhance pronunciation skill by listening this translator extension’s google TTS speech voice. # PDF Built-in PDF viewer is contained in this translator extension. Mouse tooltip translator uses PDF.js as built-in PDF viewer to support pdf file to provide translate feature over pdf text. This translator extension’s pdf supporting feature give a possibility to user to read foreign essay paper with translate service. This translator extension does not use chrome pdf reader. Chrome pdf reader provide pdf as embed text format which has difficulty on text crawling process for translate with this translator extension. This translator extension intercept pdf URL and redirect to mouse tooltip pdf.js page to provide pdf reader with tooltip translate feature. Local pdf file is also supported when user give local URL permission to this translator extension. # OCR Currently, this translator extension has under development OCR feature to translate image text. Mouse tooltip translator’s OCR feature is turned off initially. To use OCR translate feature, user need to turn on “enable OCR”. When user mouse over on image (manga, comics, webtoon and etc), this translator extension process OCR using tesseract.js to get its text for translating image. # Language Detect In this translator extension, user does not require a process to select source translate language for translate correctly because this extension handle language detection feature based on google translate language detection. This translator extension sends its mouse pointed text data to google translate and receive translated text with language detection data at the same time. This translator extension handles its auto language detection feature to minimize user interaction on source language selection for translate. And, auto language detection is used to filter out user known language text to prevent tooltip translate for providing clear web site experience. This translator extension detect same source target language to decide display translated tooltip or not for minimize disturbing on web site experience by displaying tooltip every time. # Translate API This extension is positioned between user and translator API for providing simple translate experience with google translate service. When text translate is required, this translator extension request translate service for given text to google translate. Translator vendor communicates given text to provide its translated text to the extension. Then, this translator extension handles given translated text to display in popover tooltip format. Its translated text can be in any foreign text with google translate. Additionally, Bing translator is also support to give variety on user translate experience in this translator extension. Moreover, there is also another supported translator, Papago translator. Papago translator is a powerful tool that uses neural machine to translate any text. This characteristic of papago helps user to get more realistic translated result. Currently, this translator extension does not have any plan to support remained other translator like deepL translator. DeepL are payment requirement service to use. # Ownership Mouse tooltip translator is individual developer’s created extension that is not officially made by google. It just handles google translate and google text to speech service to give ease translate experience to user. This translator extension does not own google translate and Bing translator. Google translate is owned by google and Bing translator is owned by Microsoft. This translator extension handles Google’s provided google translate service to user without any profit. Main purpose of this translator extension gives free translate experience on any web site without include any advertisement for show only translate result. This translator extension provides simple tooltip translate service on anywhere include YouTube, pdf and any text web site.
- (2023-06-03) Edson Gomes: Funciona muito bem!
- (2023-05-28) fady saber: fast and easy to use
- (2023-05-25) Hojjat Hosseini: it is a very good but how can I highlight pdf texts?
- (2023-05-23) Vu Harry: cảm ơn về những gì bạn đã làm. thật tuyệt vời.
- (2023-05-22) Gökhan Yıldırım: it does not work. because it should give the meaning of the word first and show the meaning of the sentence after 2 seconds. must to be dual
- (2023-05-13) Hammad Ashraf: Perfect working
- (2023-05-10) 6 SEX: Unsupported pdf dark mode It doesn't follow browser settings very very very big problem
- (2023-05-06) Directives: so good!
- (2023-05-04) atte sores: muy bueno
- (2023-05-02) MATHEUS MELLO: muito bom, gostaria ainda mais se tivesse a opção de colocar tbm teclas de atalho, exemplo ALT+ passar o mouse em cima, ou ter mais opções quando clicado em um atalho levar mais exemplos de frases com a palavra ou similares, sugiro isso, mas eu realmente queria essa ferramenta, muito boa funciona no spotify caso queira acompanhar letras de outras línguas tipo alemão ou inglês de musicas
- (2023-04-28) Uwe: Das spart echt einen Haufen hin und hergeklicke. Einwandfrei!
- (2023-04-25) Hake S: This is way better than the official Google Translate extension! It's lightning fast & actually works.
- (2023-04-24) seb alb: cok pratik ancak translate copy islemi eklense cok daha iyi olacak tesekkurelr
- (2023-04-19) Austen Valentine: Easy to use. Useful options. Great for language learning.
- (2023-04-18) Seiko Nguyen: Thank you. Helpful. Better if we can save words.
- (2023-04-15) Nima Pourmohammadi: really cool extention and useful but it has conflict with dark reader extension on pdf files
- (2023-04-12) KJ J: 짱임 짱
- (2023-04-05) dust Star: Google and Bing translators are working, but Papago has not been working for a few days now.. Nevertheless, it is still an excellent extension. Much thanks!!!
- (2023-04-05) F l i e: ❤️
- (2023-03-19) Kirill Bondarev (Рабочий): Быстро и просто. Спасибо за удобное расширение!
- (2023-03-12) Conor O'murichu: Works like a charm thank the creator i do
- (2023-02-20) Jose Nobrega: I've been waiting for this for a while, it's amazing, everything i wanted. Thank you so much.
- (2023-02-15) Bayram Sasmaz: dosya url için karanlık mod olmalı ( yazı rengi gri olsun lütfen ) pdf vs.
- (2023-02-11) Alexey Grom: jeez its the BEST really the best translator in chrome extensions !!!
- (2023-02-11) sun woo: the best translate extension !! you must use this!!
- (2023-02-10) Giviko Kuchukhidze: Best!!!
- (2023-01-30) S albadri: I absolutely love it!
- (2023-01-27) Rodrigo Nunes: Excellent tool, very fast and very practical.
- (2023-01-17) игорь в: Установил это расширение и Хром перестал открывать pdf страницы и не даёт скачивать. Уже два часа потерял!
- (2023-01-15) Yoshio: This works so well. It's amazing I can instantly understand other language speaking people in chats.
- (2023-01-13) Shah Newaz (Pranto): make youtube one word translate. Also make big in size.
- (2022-03-02) 최우태: 아주 좋습니다 하지만 가끔 커서를 올려도 번역이 되지 않는 경우가 있습니다. 해결 방법이 있을까요
- (2022-02-28) Mors Z: suddenly not working? no idea why...
- (2022-02-27) nabi seo: 반응 속도가 조금 느려요..ㅎㅎ..영어발음이 조금 늦게 나오네요 ㅎㅎㅎㅎ;;
- (2022-02-26) Hakan Özlen: Great app! Thanks. I think text would be better for reading if it was pure white instead of transparent white.
- (2022-02-23) CONATUS: 이전에 비해서 갑자기 번역에 오류가 많습니다. 예를 들어 원문-->Trump sides with Putin as Biden tries to stop a war 번역-->푸틴으로 푸틴이 있는 트럼프 측면은 전쟁을 막을려고 합니다. 구글번역-->바이든이 전쟁을 막으려는 동안 트럼프는 푸틴 편을 든다. 이렇게 차이가 있습니다. 한동안 잘 썼는데 어느 순간부터 번역이 안드로메다로 가기 시작하더니 저렇네요. 번역엔진을 Bing으로 바꾸면 약간 나아지지만 역시 이전에 비해서 정확도가 많이 떨어졌습니다.
- (2022-02-19) - Sano -: Doesn't work at all. I tried on many websites, and many settings.
- (2022-02-15) Agus: very nice
- (2022-02-11) Hyunsu Kim: 굉장히 유용한 플러그인입니다. 그런데 크롬의 CPU점유율이 높아집니다. 그래서 너무 아쉽습니다.
- (2022-02-07) Justin Brown: The extension works very well and seems fairly light-weight. Just prior to this edit I discovered Google integration appeared broken, or at least nothing was getting translated. Switching to Bing fixed the issue making me suspect Google's translate API was upset from repeated "translate this" calls. Or maybe it was just down. If not already implemented another feature might be to detect unresponsive or "untimely" translations and if an error is detected display some sort of hover-over "translate API call error" message. Regarding Gabe's pedantic reply: Previously the extension appeared to break viewing PDFs in Chrome resulting in a file not found error. It was very annoying because it took a couple of days to narrow down to this extension. Given this, and the lack of a support thread, I opted to write a three-star review pointing out the problem and requesting the option to disable PDF viewing integration. That apparently triggered the resident troll. Since then an option to disable PDF processing was added. This feature works perfectly. Also it appears whatever was breaking PDFs is fixed although it's unclear if this was an issue with the extension or something else. Bumping from three to five stars for the awesome support. For the sake of anyone who cares (which hopefully is nobody, but historical context matters) here is Gabe's original reply: Gabriel's Ladder - Dec 21, 2021 hey dumb dumb. There IS a way to turn it off. The same exact way you turn ANY EXTENSION OFF?!?! How about, take the amount of time you took to write this negative review and just google "How do I turn chrome extensions off"? Or, grow an extra two brain cells and click on your EXTENSIONS BAR AT THE TOP RIGHT, and FIND THE BUTTON YOURSELF. I think the positive result of my original review speaks for itself. Hopefully anyone considering Gabe's "how to deal with undesirable software features" will quickly realize that while tossing your computer in the trash will almost certainly resolve any frustration with your web browser it's like choosing to burn your house down to fix a squeaky floor. The old saying "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" might resonate with the older crowd. Yes, Gabe is probably a troll but how can I pass up the chance to hoist him by his own petard? And if he isn't a troll, perhaps he simply haunts various forums seeking those rare opportunities to display stunning intellect and exemplary caps-lock skillz. Fortunately most everyone blessed by examples of his wit will likely do what I should have and ignore him.
- (2022-02-03) Yan: very handy
- (2022-01-27) Kroomer KMR: En general bastante bueno, aunque no es muy intuitivo su instalación, opciones y uso, pero aquí pueden ver cómo se habilita https://taalextensies.wordpress.com/mouse-tooltip-translator/
- (2022-01-26) Hank: 너무 좋습니다. 잘사용하고 있습니다. 파이어폭스용으로 혹시 만들어 주시면 더 고맙겠습니다. Едге 에서는 서비스 작업자중지가 계속 뜨면서 작동이 잘 안되네요.
- (2022-01-25) P H: The same language will still display the translation prompt
- (2022-01-24) Null: 정말 좋은 익스텐션입니다!! 그런데.... 현시점 최신 크롬+MacOS 12.1 환경에서 잘 쓰다보면 크롬의 CPU가 100% 넘게 사용될때가 생깁니다. 다른 익스텐션 전부 disable하고, 이 익스텐션만 사용시에도 이런 현상이 발생하는데요.. 그럴때 이 익스텐션을 잠시 정지했다가 다시 동작시키면 CPU 과다 점유 문제가 해결됩니다. 임시방편이긴한데, 개발자님이 이 문제 고쳐주시면 좋겠습니다! 😀
- (2022-01-20) NK Zxcv: this extension is very good, i love it
- (2022-01-20) Xeno Xeno: If your Chrome suffers from taking high CPU rate, just disable this extension. This extension takes high CPU rate especially you browse facebook.
- (2022-01-14) Null: 정말 좋은 익스텐션이네요.
- (2022-01-12) Daniyar Davletov: Mi piace.
- (2022-01-06) ҈: полезное расширение 👌
4.4 (222 votes)
Last update / version
2023-03-13 / 0.1.62